LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

undervaluing wide receivers hurt niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Southeast:
First of all niners need to cut crabtree. Even if they take a cap hit. Second he is overated too slow, cant get seperation on a consistant basis, routes are terrible. Josh Morgan is nothing to brag about either, but he is better than crabtree. Niners need two play makers whether throught the draft or the free agency, Niners recievers are too slow nobody fears them. When your starting tight end has to run go routes you no you are in trouble. Niners should have one the game though if it wasn't for turn overs. Offensive line played good, but I would go after Gaither and put him at left takle and move Staley too right. Staley is playing well but Gaither is an instant upgrade, not even close when healthy. Look how Phllip Rivrers was playing when they got gaither. Pus he is only 25 years old. Also if they could get carl Nicks now the niners would have one of the top 2 or 3 offensive lines in the league.

First of all no they don't. That would solve any of our wide receiver problems. Yes, we need better receivers, but your way of going about it is illogical. Also, you realize Gaither has had terrible back problems his whole career right? And you know he was cut from KC after ONE PLAY right? Gaither is decent, but he's not worth switching Staley, a second team All-Pro, to a different position. Also, what would happen with Davis? Carl Nicks would be pretty sick though. I get that you're ticked and all but your ideas don't make too much sense.
Victor Cruz was undrafted. I think Marquis Colston was also undrafted.

It's all about talent evaluation, not where someone is/is not drafted. And being a proven NFL talent is seldom more important than at the WR position.

That being said, the Niners might want to more highly value field-stretching speed, size (6'3" or better), and the ability to run patterns well enough to get open (as judged vs NFL-caliber competition in all-star games like the Senior Bowl). To date, they have adequately valued hands (catching ability), production, and blocking ability/willingness at this position. But they need more from starters at theWR position.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Doesn't matter where you draft them, there are lot of diamonds in the rough.....you have to have an eye for talent though to recognize them. Hopefully Harbaugh has some say in the receivers we draft this time around.

I still have mixed feelings about overpaying for a free agent like DeSean Jackson though.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Victor Cruz was undrafted. I think Marquis Colston was also undrafted.

It's all about talent evaluation, not where someone is/is not drafted. And being a proven NFL talent is seldom more important than at the WR position.

That being said, the Niners might want to more highly value field-stretching speed, size (6'3" or better), and the ability to run patterns well enough to get open (as judged vs NFL-caliber competition in all-star games like the Senior Bowl). To date, they have adequately valued hands (catching ability), production, and blocking ability/willingness at this position. But they need more from starters at theWR position.

I think Colston was a late rounder 5th or 6th round.
yes, passed on several good WRs on the 2nd and 3rd rounds..
Crabtree was suppose to be the answer... but I think he is good 3rd, maybe a 2nd.

The last TD of the Giants was to their number 3 WR..... Manningham.. Are you kidding me... he would be number 1 with us.
Originally posted by lamontb:
i seen swain once or twice but the guy is a bum so having him on the field means nothing. Just need better talent.

point is that it limits your calls when you cant put 3 wideouts on field
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by hofer36:
remember mcloughan turning up his nose at taking receivers high, saying he could get them in the 3rd round

maybe that thinking caught up with niners yesterday

did they run any sets with 3 receivers...i didnt see swain on the field at all

hopefully they will get some receivers for the offense in 2012

Wasn't Crabpee a 1st round pick?

he was and yesterdays game notwithstanding, he came along real strong in 2nd half of season...but with only a kyle williams or brett swain opposite him, the defense can blanket him pretty tight
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
You definitely limit calls when you have only 1 real WR in the game. It's also easier for defenses to cover that 1 WR... Crab played great down the stretch of the regular season, we lost Ginn, Williams was a no show, and Vernon was hot.
Share 49ersWebzone