There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Last 3 Offensive Possessions

As much as Kyle Williams' muffed fumbles affected the game, it's really hard to for me to push out of my mind the play-calling on the last three offensive possessions. Despite Harbaugh saying at the half that we would "get back to basics", the 49ers mysteriously abandon their running game particularly during the 4th quarter. I didn't quite understand why we kept trying to go back to the deep, play-action passes on 1st down when we had only converted on 3rd and long the entire game. The coverage refused to give up a big play after they had allowed two. Gore and Hunter were clearly having success - and with the best FG kicker in the league, it seemed as if the coaching staff played the "we can go for it all or go for over-time" strategy. It was clear the patterns/schemes/passing plays weren't pushing a "take what the defense gave you" or at least Smith wasn't interested in that. Gore -as a receiver - was having success underneath which tells me the coverage was very deep.

What's most hard to swallow was at 1:47 and with 3 timeouts, the 49ers decided to throw the ball three times even though their receivers hadn't been open all day. I'm not quite sure why the 49ers did this and why that strategy was called. I'm willing to bet, Jeep Chryst took over the play-calling and as a QB coach was more pass-oriented? I think it's the coaching staff from whom this game got away from in the end. So we essentially have 3 coordinators and I can see how there are strengths in this - Tom Drevno, Jeep Chryst and Roman all are involved in play-calling with Harbaugh as the "manager". I think we possibly may have bought a little too much into our previous game's success (passing) as a rule and abandoned what earned this team a 13-3 record.

Running the ball.
i agree. run the damn ball.

getting 4 yards on 1st and 2nd down is OK. sets up a 3rd and short.

and limits the number of posessions the giants have by using more clock.

sigh, would've, could've, should've.
100% agree. It was more than puzzling trying to figure out why they weren't running the ball. It was like the coaching staff over thought the situation. They gotta add more screen passes ot the offense.
Agreed! Kept gettiing into 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10......running plays were draws from shotgun instead of the power sweeps with pulling guards where I line was pushing them off the ball..... Very frustrating that our offense had 3 golden opportunities to WIN this game and went 3-and-out each time.
This is basically the same conclusion I came to. I was so sad last night. All I could think about was how awful of an ending the Kyle Williams fiasco was to an awesome game. However, I quickly started coming around, and realize that our offense did absolutely NOTHING the last six drives of the game or so. Kyle Williams sure as hell didnt' help and definitely sealed the game, but our offense -- Alex Smith in particular -- deserves their HUGE share of the blame. How many times in the closing minutes of the game and overtime did Smith roll out and short-arm his receiver by about five yards? It was a pathetic display.
Would have liked to see Hunter get the ball a few more times in space as well.
At the end of the half with 2:18 to go and Alex just milled around until the 2:00 minute warning and then they ran the ball three time for nothing. Gave the ball back to NY with 1:49 left and they marched down the field and got the field goal. I have seen this in games before this year and Harbaugh has to realize that this is not college football and you better get a killer instinct or you won't survive.
Originally posted by theduke85:
This is basically the same conclusion I came to. I was so sad last night. All I could think about was how awful of an ending the Kyle Williams fiasco was to an awesome game. However, I quickly started coming around, and realize that our offense did absolutely NOTHING the last six drives of the game or so. Kyle Williams sure as hell didnt' help and definitely sealed the game, but our offense -- Alex Smith in particular -- deserves their HUGE share of the blame. How many times in the closing minutes of the game and overtime did Smith roll out and short-arm his receiver by about five yards? It was a pathetic display.

those aren't shortarms. those are throw aways basicaly beceause the receiver isn't really open. did you see the completion to davis that was short of a first down? my god that window was tiny and he gunned it in there.....problem was that's about the biggest window he had for passes all day :S
I really think the gameplan was flawed all day long but then again that was a great D we played against.

With Alex running so well in the 1st half, why not have more rollouts or bootlegs? Only thing is that we never seem to have any open wr's when Alex has to break the pocket or rolls out to just one side. I for the life of me, have never seen a group of wr's get less open on broken plays. These guys can't even get open when a play breaks dowm and they can just run wild? Never any help for Alex.

I hear this throw them open stuff all the time and maybe there is something to that but then your also gonna have more picks cause that relies on the wr and qb being on the exact same page. Don't know if Alex trusts our wr to do the right thing and in the past they have not shown the fight for the ball mentality that those throws require of the wr.
although... if you were the giants defense, how would you gameplan against the 49ers offense?

i would double vernon, and stop the run. and let the other guys beat you.

perhaps that is what the 49ers coaching staff was seeing.
[ Edited by jason330i on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM ]
running game was working. not sure why we completely abandoned it.
Incompletions on first down are the most annoying thing ever. Just run the damn ball already.
[ Edited by JBatta49erfansince81 on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM ]
I did not like the play calling either. Especially when the WR's could not get open against a secondary full of second and third stringers. I sure hope we target some WRs in the draft. I do not believe KW is a starter. I like Crabtree but he does not get a lot of seperation. Morgan was having a good year but i am still holding judgement on him.

I agree 100%, everyone wants to blame the Wrs and trust me we do need more
weapons but it starts and ends with the trigger man. Yesterday Alex converted to
jitterish short arming over throwing Alex.
Originally posted by zoomcrypt:

those aren't shortarms. those are throw aways basicaly beceause the receiver isn't really open. did you see the completion to davis that was short of a first down? my god that window was tiny and he gunned it in there.....problem was that's about the biggest window he had for passes all day :S

Not true. You have to throw guys open and we know Alex is incapable of doing that consistently.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home