Sign Meachum (SP?) and Manningham, draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round:

Crabtree
Meachum
Manningham
Morgan
Ginn
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
JH is at his core a running coach, I get the feeling we will only have 4 wf's on the roster. Kyle Williams will most likely not be one of them, Unless something amazing happens in his rehab, I would consider Josh Morgan, a maybe. Assuming a minor miracle in JM rehab, I see it one of two ways:

1) Free Agent, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
or
2) Crabtree, Morgan, Rookie, Ginn

Ginn does not have a tremendous amount of talent as a WR, he makes the team only on his return skills, and therefore should never be higher than 4 on the 4 man depth chart. No need risking his retune skills on every down play.If morgan doesn't make it back to full speed, read it as: Free Agent, Crabtree, Rookie, Ginn

I doubt we only have 4 WR. We are a west coast offense so we need more WRs then that. We have 5 wide sets.

I better not see KW in a 49ers jersey next year. That means we failed our off season hunt for a WR.

Look at his stanford teams, heavy on TE and RBs look at what we ran this year, I think we are the only NFL team this season to go with a NO wide receiver look, tha't right we have more than one formation with NO wide receivers, they don't seem to be that critical in JH does, 4 active 2-3 on the PS will be plenty, look for another gifted TE next season, and 3 TE passing sets! also we will have to add a bigger muti threat back, JH, like Bill Walsh seems to want to spread the ball to all eligible receivers, not just the wide outs!
i see it:
rookie/FA
crabtree
morgan
williams
ginnn
For those that want to bring in a high priced FA like a Bowe or Jackson, what's the plan to retain our own FA, particularly on defense and Ted Ginn?

I'd rather invest two draft picks in a receiver or our 1st rounder + a lower priced FA like Robert Meachem who would have the opportunity to become a more featured guy on our offense.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
For those that want to bring in a high priced FA like a Bowe or Jackson, what's the plan to retain our own FA, particularly on defense and Ted Ginn?

I'd rather invest two draft picks in a receiver or our 1st rounder + a lower priced FA like Robert Meachem who would have the opportunity to become a more featured guy on our offense.
The only two FA WR's out there who are legit ones if they left their current teams are Bowe and prob reggie wayne, the rest are products of their systems and QB's.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Morgan's injury will keep him from being too expensive

Josh Morgan hasn't done anything to make him an expensive signing in the first place. Just because the fans love him doesn't mean other teams are gonna look at him and drive his price tag through the roof.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ultimately I think the draft is going to provide the most likely answer to the 49ers troubles. I'd love to see a guy like Colston or Bowe on the 49ers but they can't spend a fortune on WR's and hope to keep their defense together, I also don't want to see them spend on some random free agent who isn't going to be the #1 guy on this team either.

The problem is that we have a team RIGHT NOW that is ready for a push to the SB. The defense is the first priority of keeping together (Rogers, Goldson, Brooks), but beyond them, we have to look at the WR position. Must look for that "stretch the field, over the top, tough on the outside type of WR". That means paying some money for a Colson/Bowe type WR. Hoping the draft produces something for us with the #30 or #62 pick is not addressing the problem. Maybe we get a stud in one of those two spots, but history says that they will not have any type of immediate impact (hence the RIGHT NOW statement).
Originally posted by pd24:

Crabtree
Meachum
Manningham
Morgan
Ginn

that would be awesome if it happens. don't think we can get both meachem and manningham, but one would be nice. then add a rookie early.
I think we will enter next season with 3 new pass catchers whether it be tight end or wr, FA or draft, we will have 3 new sets of hands for alex
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i see it:
rookie/FA
crabtree
morgan
williams
ginnn
Ditto.
so....

You're telling me that Manning and THREE of his WRs are Free Agents? (Wayne, Garcon, Gonzalez)

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners9:
Originally posted by pd24:

Crabtree
Meachum
Manningham
Morgan
Ginn

that would be awesome if it happens. don't think we can get both meachem and manningham, but one would be nice. then add a rookie early.

IMO Manningham and Morgan would be a difficult pill to swallow together. Meachem is a great off the bench deep threat with good ball skills but adding a rookie who everyone is saying should start or be a super impact type player to the mix with Morgan and Manningham pretty much means that we'd have 2 quality receivers almost never seeing the field because of the type of schemes and looks that we run in our offense.

No way in hell we sign 3 similar receivers in FA. Remove Morgan or Manningham from this list and it is amazing.

Crabtree(If he continues to play at the same level and doesn't skill preseason hell be great. Maybe he'll be visible during the playoffs next year)
Sanu(toss up between crabtree and Sanu as the #1 but Sanu seems like a perfect compliment to Crabtree)
Morgan(position player but also skilled in the slot)
Meachem(role player, deep threat with a few moves)
Williams(solid receiver, terrible return man)
Ginn(terrible receiver, great return man)
Agree with the need for a FA wide receiver.

Yes, Cruz, Miles Austin, Steve Smith, TO, etc. have all come late round or undrafted (even Jimmy Graham, 2nd round) but how many receivers come in at full effectiveness their rookie year?

I think it's fun to conjecture, but I'm sure whatever Baalke & Harbaugh have in mind will be good. Maybe it takes a 1/13 3rd down conversion, and 1 WR catch for 3 yards to force the hand at fixing this.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM ]
Thanks for your work, Ginn. You provided a nice boost on ST, but you are not a viable WR.

Returning:
Crabtree
Morgan
Williams

Add:
Free agent
Rookie: 1st-3rd rounder

Trng Camp:
An UDFA (or two) and a possible late round pick.