There are 213 users in the forums

Returning WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's obvious the WR position will be addressed this off season. This is the list of WR free agents this off season. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

The list is pretty decent. With that said do you bring back both Ginn and Morgan? We found out today how important Ginn is to our return game. I say Ginn is more important to keep than Morgan. To me a 2nd WR is easier to find than a good return man. Thoughts?
Originally posted by RekeHavoc:
It's obvious the WR position will be addressed this off season. This is the list of WR free agents this off season. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

The list is pretty decent. With that said do you bring back both Ginn and Morgan? We found out today how important Ginn is to our return game. I say Ginn is more important to keep than Morgan. To me a 2nd WR is easier to find than a good return man. Thoughts?

Funny I was on there maybe an hour ago......The 2 Jacksons DeSean and Vincent would be good adds....Bowe and Stevie Johnson also......Worried they would be franchise tagged....Back up a Brinks truck they won't be cheap.....Also the Niners could pull what the Falcons did in the draft, and draft a top WR......
Ultimately I think the draft is going to provide the most likely answer to the 49ers troubles. I'd love to see a guy like Colston or Bowe on the 49ers but they can't spend a fortune on WR's and hope to keep their defense together, I also don't want to see them spend on some random free agent who isn't going to be the #1 guy on this team either.
I think we can easily retain both Morgan and Ginn. Morgan's injury will keep him from being too expensive, and Ginn isn't much more than a returner, although his speed on offense lifts the lid on the D and opens things up for others. I think keeping these guys and adding a receiver through the draft will give us a much more effective receiving corps. It's not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, but we could potentially get an impact player in the draft even as late as we will be picking. If I have this figured correctly we should have the 29th pick in the draft. Here is a few guys who have been picked in that range.

Hakeem Nicks 29th in 09
Kenny Britt 30th in 09
Reggie Wayne 30th in 01

I think a player with ability comparable to any of those guys would be a huge boon for our offense next year and beyond.
The problem with picking a WR in the draft is that most likely he will not be ready to be the receiving threat we need right of the bat. Other than top 10 picks like CJ and AJ Green not many players break out their first season. We need someone who can step in and make a difference. We need a true No.1 option so Crabtree is a No.2. Crabtree and Morgan as a No.3.

I would love to have Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson but I don't think the Chargers let VJ go and DJ is too much of a loose nut. Wayne is a good player but it's hard to evaluate him without considering the Manning effect!
The problem with picking a WR in the draft is that most likely he will not be ready to be the receiving threat we need right of the bat. Other than top 10 picks like CJ and AJ Green not many players break out their first season. We need someone who can step in and make a difference. We need a true No.1 option so Crabtree is a No.2. Crabtree and Morgan as a No.3.

I would love to have Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson but I don't think the Chargers let VJ go and DJ is too much of a loose nut. Wayne is a good player but it's hard to evaluate him without considering the Manning effect!

No look @ Boldin pick in the 2nd and he came out blazing !
Must sign a starting quality FA WR to be the #1 guy (don't let the Braylon Edwards thing be a discouragement).
Crabtree is OK for now as a possession #2, but he will leave as soon as his agent cqan get him out of SF, so he's not in the long-term plan.
Morgan, if he retains his speed after the injury, is a solid #3, esp with his superior blocking skills/willingness.
Must draft a WR as #4 in 2012, capable of becoming the #1 guy, with a year or two of development (to replace Williams now and Crabtree down the road).
Ginn is a solid #5, given his elite returner skills.
Williams, Swain, Hastings, etc - too low of a ceiling to retain, unless someone ahead of them endires a long-term injury.
Only room for 5 WR on this 53-man roster, and the 5th guy must also have return skills.

I don't hate on Williams, but he's holding a roster spot that must either go to the incoming #1 FA WR or the incoming #1 rookie with a higher ceiling. If Morgan loses skills to the injury, Williams could retain a roster spot.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Jan 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM ]

If we sign D. Jackson then both Williams and Ginn are expendable because Jackson would be our returner as well.

If we don't sign D. Jackson, then we should re-sign Ginn and add either a free agent or high draft pick (or both). The Smith/Crabtree combination is perplexing. I don't know if Smith doesn't trust Crabtree or doesn't trust himself to make those jump ball-type throws, but no matter who we sign Smith will have to take some chances throwing the ball to these guys. I truly thought that Crabtree would have a big game given that Davis would be doubled for most of the night.
I would rather us go for another freak TE. They can't even cover VD with a double team deep. Would be awesome to get a 6'5" freak TE to destroy teams alongside Vernon.
Crabs and Morgan should be back, crabtrees last stand IMHO. then we have to sign a marquee WR like Bowe, Colston, Desean Jackson, no question marks. weve had enough WR come in here and have false hopes put on them only to be disappointed. then we draft a premier rookie WR and get another WR in the middle of the draft. WR is by far the most glaring need, we'd be a monster team with a legit stable of receivers. We got to the NFC championship game with only Alex, VD, Gore, flashes of crabtree and a rookie Hunter on offense, next year we will be a great offense and not depend on our awesome defense so much.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
We shouldn't dump KW over this. Just don't have him returning kicks.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I would rather us go for another freak TE. They can't even cover VD with a double team deep. Would be awesome to get a 6'5" freak TE to destroy teams alongside Vernon.

Joecool has a point here.. it would like New England. Helps the run and passing game.
Delaney can be a Hback/ WR.
I don't think signing an expensive receiver is the answer. There's very few instances were it actually worked and if you look at every good passing attack pretty much all of them have been built thru the draft.

New York, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Green Bay, New Orleans. New England with Moss is really the only notable exception.

What people have to understand is there's no quick fixes. You want to spend 60 million on a receiver that's going cost you 2 key defensive additions. Our defense regresses we regress with it, because you don't turn into the Saints overnight.

If we sign Colston I'm going to be pumped I just don't think it's the right move though. I'd rather retain Goldson, Brooks, and Rogers and then turn to the draft to upgrade the offense.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I have a more radical idea....get Peyton Manning.

I don't think you have to do much more....we can keep the receivers we have pretty much. Peyton will make them better.
Originally posted by kray28:
I have a more radical idea....get Peyton Manning.

I don't think you have to do much more....we can keep the receivers we have pretty much. Peyton will make them better.

then we need to get an all pro o line

remember what happened when his o line got injured he had like 2 TD and 8 int over a span of 4 games
Share 49ersWebzone