Not a member? Register Now!

Returning WR's

• Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Our best bet for a #1 WR is the first round of the draft.

Getting a #1 in FA is highly unlikely.

29th pick tho...

see this

Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Hakeem Nicks 29th in 09
Kenny Britt 30th in 09
Reggie Wayne 30th in 01

Desean jackson was a 2nd round pick, Colston was a 6th round pick, Steve Smith was a 3rd round pick, TO was a 3rd round pick

You can find a good receiver at any pick in the draft

This exactly. Let's look at the Pro Bowl teams:

Wes Welker - Undrafted
Mike Wallace - 3rd Round
AJ Green - 1st Round (4th Overall)
Brandon Marshall - 4th round
Vincent Jackson - 2nd Round
Calvin Johnson - 1st Round (2nd Overall)
Larry Fitzgerald - 1st round (3rd Overall)
Steve Smith - 3rd Round
Greg Jennings - 2nd Round
Roddy White - 1st Round (27th Overall)
I tried to support Crabtree forever...but if he cant be anything close to effective in the playoffs he cant be a #1...I still support him as #2 or #3 but we'll need a big, fast, #1 guy. Be a hell of a year to be at the top of the draft but clearly we're quite far. Hope theres something that slips to to the bottom that can help with this roll.
Resign Josh Morgan
Sign DeSean Jackson (replaces Ginn at ST/WR)
Draft Sanu, Jefferey, Quick, Jones, Hill, or Streeter.

WR Core for 2012
Michael Crabtree
DeSean Jackson
Josh Morgan
Mohamed Sanu in the first

I am just very concerned about our returner. If we lose Ginn, we need one just as good...Jackson is an upgrade at both positions. It's the headcase thing that concerns me. Other than that, I would want his speed and hands on the edge. Don't you guys think he would be worth it or is he just too expensive for the drama?
[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
Resign Josh Morgan

WR Core for 2012
Michael Crabtree
DeSean Jackson
Josh Morgan

I am just very concerned about our returner. If we lose Ginn, we need one just as good...Jackson is an upgrade at both positions. It's the headcase thing that concerns me. Other than that, I would want his speed and hands on the edge. Don't you guys think he would be worth it or is he just too expensive for the drama?

He might get himself in more trouble since he would be back home and his "friends" are not great role models.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Resign Josh Morgan

WR Core for 2012
Michael Crabtree
DeSean Jackson
Josh Morgan

He might get himself in more trouble since he would be back home and his "friends" are not great role models.
Desean is small and seems a little fragile for the style of play we want to employ. Plus hes a basket case just like Crabtree. If we could get him Bowe would be on the top of my list, and keep Ginn for returning and some concept/or deep plays. And Draft someone in the first 3 rounds.
check it out about Vincent Jackson "SD"... He is tall about 6'5 and good speed than crabtree!! He has good hands and very good at rounte! He didn't afraid to get the hits! I think, He is better than Bowe"KC"...check it out about http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/vincent-jackson/299971?q=vincent-jackson
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Must sign a starting quality FA WR to be the #1 guy (don't let the Braylon Edwards thing be a discouragement).
Crabtree is OK for now as a possession #2, but he will leave as soon as his agent cqan get him out of SF, so he's not in the long-term plan.
Morgan, if he retains his speed after the injury, is a solid #3, esp with his superior blocking skills/willingness.
Must draft a WR as #4 in 2012, capable of becoming the #1 guy, with a year or two of development (to replace Williams now and Crabtree down the road).
Ginn is a solid #5, given his elite returner skills.
Williams, Swain, Hastings, etc - too low of a ceiling to retain, unless someone ahead of them endires a long-term injury.
Only room for 5 WR on this 53-man roster, and the 5th guy must also have return skills.

I don't hate on Williams, but he's holding a roster spot that must either go to the incoming #1 FA WR or the incoming #1 rookie with a higher ceiling. If Morgan loses skills to the injury, Williams could retain a roster spot.
I agree, and good post.
What about Hines Ward? I think someone mentioned it in another thread. Some people think he's not a true no1.

Just an idea, if Pitt let him go.

Any thoughts?
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
What about Hines Ward? I think someone mentioned it in another thread. Some people think he's not a true no1.

Just an idea, if Pitt let him go.

Any thoughts?

no, too old and too slow
I don't know how you don't target V Jackson, Colston and Bowe in that order.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

I don't know, I've seen Vincent Jackson take plays off, where he was outplayed by his rookie complement, Vincent Brown.
Our biggest problem is WR red zone threat. We don't have a big body in our receiving corps for Alex to target. VD is amazing, but in the red zone, he is more like a wide receiving. Yes he's big, but he's not overpowering guys like Gronk has this year.

Originally posted by socalfan21:

Totally agree with that list. Colston stats are boosted playing for the Saints and Vincent Jackson has been a top performer for years. The biggest problem I see though is that all three of these guys are going to want top dollar.

I can do without Desean Jackson. He quit on his team, who's to say he won't quit on the 9ers?
Originally posted by Youngb:
Our biggest problem is WR red zone threat. We don't have a big body in our receiving corps for Alex to target. VD is amazing, but in the red zone, he is more like a wide receiving. Yes he's big, but he's not overpowering guys like Gronk has this year.

Totally agree with that list. Colston stats are boosted playing for the Saints and Vincent Jackson has been a top performer for years. The biggest problem I see though is that all three of these guys are going to want top dollar.

I can do without Desean Jackson. He quit on his team, who's to say he won't quit on the 9ers?

Watch the highlights between the raiders, and chargers in that thursday night game: Vincent Jackson clearly took some plays off. I'm not fond of Randy Moss 2.0
JH is at his core a running coach, I get the feeling we will only have 4 wf's on the roster. Kyle Williams will most likely not be one of them, Unless something amazing happens in his rehab, I would consider Josh Morgan, a maybe. Assuming a minor miracle in JM rehab, I see it one of two ways:

1) Free Agent, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
or
2) Crabtree, Morgan, Rookie, Ginn

Ginn does not have a tremendous amount of talent as a WR, he makes the team only on his return skills, and therefore should never be higher than 4 on the 4 man depth chart. No need risking his retune skills on every down play.If morgan doesn't make it back to full speed, read it as: Free Agent, Crabtree, Rookie, Ginn
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
JH is at his core a running coach, I get the feeling we will only have 4 wf's on the roster. Kyle Williams will most likely not be one of them, Unless something amazing happens in his rehab, I would consider Josh Morgan, a maybe. Assuming a minor miracle in JM rehab, I see it one of two ways:

1) Free Agent, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn
or
2) Crabtree, Morgan, Rookie, Ginn

Ginn does not have a tremendous amount of talent as a WR, he makes the team only on his return skills, and therefore should never be higher than 4 on the 4 man depth chart. No need risking his retune skills on every down play.If morgan doesn't make it back to full speed, read it as: Free Agent, Crabtree, Rookie, Ginn

I doubt we only have 4 WR. We are a west coast offense so we need more WRs then that. We have 5 wide sets.

I better not see KW in a 49ers jersey next year. That means we failed our off season hunt for a WR.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home