There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

This makes me even more sad

One pathetic performance by one player made that spectacular effort meaningless.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

One pathetic performance by one player made that spectacular effort meaningless.

Indeed! The fumble in overtime can be forgiven but the muffed punt I will never forget because Kyle had plenty of time to get away from it. The D was playing so good I really doubt the Giants would have scored in the second half. I realize the offense didn't help much but they put up enought points to win.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
all of it went to waste...

This good job Kyle
Originally posted by elguapo:
I know there is a defense thread but this is a separate issue all together. I believe the niners defense is the best in the league. They have the best do the best lb corp and a top 5 secondary. I believe Baltimore is close behind us but their dl and lbs aren't as good they do not have the pass rushers we have or the tackling or speed at lb. their safety reed is better but I think their 2nd 3rd CBS are worse. Houston is a top 5 defense and so is Pitt but Pitt has average CBS and their dl isn't that good at all and phi has potential as do the giants.

baltimore has better individual players, where we have a better all-around team.

suggs > aldon (for now)
reed > goldson (similar playstyles but of course reed hands down)
although ray lewis is like 100 years old..hes still a BEAST. i'd take ray over ANY LB besides willis.
haloti ngata is the same deal. i'd take him over anyone but justin smith.

also, if you check the stats they are WAY ahead of us in terms of passing D (which is our biggest flaw on D) so i think its incorrect to say they have better pass rushers.. that CB #21 is a BEAST on the ravens too. i think his name is ladarius webb (sp?)
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I thought this article from the WSJ on the 49ers defensive effort in the NFC Championship was so well written and made me so proud that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

As thrilling as the games turned out to be, the NFL's championship weekend did produce one intense disappointment: The world won't get to see any more of San Francisco's bone-rattling defense.

Before we join the rest of the sports media in a two-week all-you-can-eat prediction buffet ahead of the upcoming Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and New York Giants, we've allowed ourselves a moment to look back. And after rewinding the film and watching it without any adrenaline to threaten our objectivity, it became pretty clear that during this year of epic passing, San Francisco played one of the greatest defensive games in playoff history.

Continued . . .

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179120491199182.html?KEYWORDS=49ers#articleTabs%3Darticle

Or not
Great defense let down by one retard.
As a side note, I really hope the Harbaughs aren't cursed because the way both brothers lost is disturbing.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
As a side note, I really hope the Harbaughs aren't cursed because the way both brothers lost is disturbing.

Jim has won everywhere he's gone and took a team in their 1st year to the NFC Champ game. John, needs everything in personnel to work right. Jim can take inferior talent in Stanford to only one loss. Jim showed what he can do with near equal talent with the 49ers.
Evidently it's just not the media that has a man crush for our defense. Add Jerruh Jones to the list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/25/jerry-jones-dreams-of-having-linebackers-as-good-as-san-franciscos/
Originally posted by Joecool:
Jim has won everywhere he's gone and took a team in their 1st year to the NFC Champ game. John, needs everything in personnel to work right. Jim can take inferior talent in Stanford to only one loss. Jim showed what he can do with near equal talent with the 49ers.

I think Jim has the edge, in terms of prep - which goes back to his staff. I think what Harbaugh wanted to do in both playoff games, was use the pursuit of the defense against them by utilizing trick plays, and change of direction plays.. The 49ers just didn't execute.
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Indeed! The fumble in overtime can be forgiven but the muffed punt I will never forget because Kyle had plenty of time to get away from it. The D was playing so good I really doubt the Giants would have scored in the second half. I realize the offense didn't help much but they put up enought points to win.

Yeah 17 should have been enough to do it.

We were averaging around 10 points given up per game at home.

KW gave them 10 which caused us to lose.

Our recipe to win was great D, great special teams, and safey offensive play.

KW singlehandidly threw a wrench into the formula and wrecked our winninf machine. CUT HIM NOW
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

"Hey Drew, I want to show you something"
Man no matter wat ppl say our defense was f**king legit...
Originally posted by denali22:
baltimore has better individual players, where we have a better all-around team.

suggs > aldon (for now)
reed > goldson (similar playstyles but of course reed hands down)
although ray lewis is like 100 years old..hes still a BEAST. i'd take ray over ANY LB besides willis.
haloti ngata is the same deal. i'd take him over anyone but justin smith.

also, if you check the stats they are WAY ahead of us in terms of passing D (which is our biggest flaw on D) so i think its incorrect to say they have better pass rushers.. that CB #21 is a BEAST on the ravens too. i think his name is ladarius webb (sp?)

You do realize we have way better pass rushers and individuals on d? We have smith a smith brooks even ray Mac and they ONLY have Suggs as a pass rusher. We have a better run d and their safety reed is the best but Goodson isn't that much worse at this point. Rogers is better than Webb and brown is a lot better than their second cb.

Also if you check the stats they are ahead of us in passing d for two reasons.....they didn't play elite qbs and they are easier to run against than we are. Teams abandoned the run vs the niners so of course more attempts = more yards. Very simple