There are 43 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

I thought this article from the WSJ on the 49ers defensive effort in the NFC Championship was so well written and made me so proud that I thought it deserved it's own thread:

As thrilling as the games turned out to be, the NFL's championship weekend did produce one intense disappointment: The world won't get to see any more of San Francisco's bone-rattling defense.

Before we join the rest of the sports media in a two-week all-you-can-eat prediction buffet ahead of the upcoming Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and New York Giants, we've allowed ourselves a moment to look back. And after rewinding the film and watching it without any adrenaline to threaten our objectivity, it became pretty clear that during this year of epic passing, San Francisco played one of the greatest defensive games in playoff history.

Continued . . .

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179120491199182.html?KEYWORDS=49ers#articleTabs%3Darticle
OUR DEFENSE IS SO F*CKING RAW
i hope our defense is even better next year
all of it went to waste...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i hope our defense is even better next year

Well if we can manage to keep everyone together I don't see why not.
all we need is a shutdown corner and one more offseason for the younger guys to learn and BAMM we are the best defense to ever play on a football field
I really hope we can keep most of the team together, not just the defense but the team. Add some key players on offense.
Now we just need an offense that can put up points.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
The league should be worried, very worried.

This year we knocked out 7 RBs, next year we go for 10+.

Must keep Goldson, Brooks and Rogers. Anything less, and our "tough" defense takes a hit. Goldson is key...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
I really hope we can keep most of the team together, not just the defense but the team. Add some key players on offense.

Me too. With us coming off a 14-4 season, I'm really not excited to add anyone from free agency, but more so through the draft. What really hurt us this year was key injuries IMO.
Better offense makes better defense! We need to friggin improve our offense and keep our defense intact! We need to brake the wallet our time is now!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ERJUNKY:
Better offense makes better defense! We need to friggin improve our offense and keep our defense intact! We need to brake the wallet our time is now!

I could've sworn New Orleans was a lock to make the Super Bowl, too bad our DEFENSE put the brakes on that!!!

Seriously though, I think playing mistake free, elite defense and a good running attack goes along way....too bad we just so happen to play with mistakes.
I know there is a defense thread but this is a separate issue all together. I believe the niners defense is the best in the league. They have the best do the best lb corp and a top 5 secondary. I believe Baltimore is close behind us but their dl and lbs aren't as good they do not have the pass rushers we have or the tackling or speed at lb. their safety reed is better but I think their 2nd 3rd CBS are worse. Houston is a top 5 defense and so is Pitt but Pitt has average CBS and their dl isn't that good at all and phi has potential as do the giants.

How would you rank you top 5 defenses?
Sf
Bal
Houston
Giants
Pitts

One more note....at the beginning of the year a lot of us were saying the niners d is a top 10 and even a top 5 defense if our offense improves just a little bit. We were more than right. I would also like to call out the few zones to eat crow be a man and admit they were wrong when they debated to the death that the cowboys defense was just as good or even better than the niners defense. Start eating the crow pie please....you know who you are.

I was looking at the stats, we had 38 turnovers as a defense and the 85 bears had 56. The bears defense in 85 was the best ever, I think the ravens defense is way up there. But I think these Niners are way up there because the rules favor the offense so much.

I think if we can get another elite pass rusher or DT to rotate in, and pick up another shutdown corner........or just improve to the next level. The D will be way up there. I just think at times we don't get enough rush, but if we become the masters of the blitz like they were doing in the second half of the championship game, YES we have to consider them.

Think of what they can do with another year and another draft and FA. and for them to get comfortable with the whole D.........WOW......now we just need to upgrade the O.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Now we just need an offense that can put up points.
All through the game A. Smith played as well as Eli Manning in fact the score was tied at the end of regulation. In the end the game was won by field position gained by the fumbles, not by Eli Manning. The defense held New Yorks vaunted offense to 17 point. Our pedestrian offence gained the same amount of points as the high powered passing attack of Eli Manning and his super wide receivers. We had the opportunity to get three turnovers which may have turned the game and given us the field position but we didn't get it done and New York did. Hopefully our team has the burning desire to get back and that they are willing to pay the price of keeping their focus, developing that little bit more and try it again next year..

t