There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Defense Thread

LOL, the Colts had the most top 100 players prior to 2011.

Manning out = crappy team.
Originally posted by Joecool:
LOL, the Colts had the most top 100 players prior to 2011.

Manning out = crappy team.

last year they lost a lot of people

4 new starters on their OL t
here defense completel got injured or left
people think its just manning but thats simply not true
i cant wait to see how awesome this defense can be with the offense hopefully stepping up this year
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:
LOL, the Colts had the most top 100 players prior to 2011.

Manning out = crappy team.

last year they lost a lot of people

4 new starters on their OL t
here defense completel got injured or left
people think its just manning but thats simply not true


I count eight new offensive starters from the 2009 roster to the end of the year roster 2011.
there's a couple of things i want to see heading into next season......

1...want to see continued growth from bowman especially in the coverage dept (dude is athletic enough). he's an AP and all but there's a reason that willis was handling most of the coverage duties, if he could add that element to his toolbox that would just make the D better as a whole. not to mention the confusion that might generate when team are trying to set their protections against the front 7.

2...anxious to see the cont. developement of t brown and culliver. as other posters have noted browns play looked like its was only getting better especially during the 2nd half of the season no reason to think wont continue that moving forward. i don't think anybody expected culliver to play up to the level that he did, he made some nice tackles and had a hand on some to's also. dude was a rookie so of course he was gonna take his lumps but overall not too many wtf moments (i think he had 1 in the 1st giants game).

3...does coach T have the young guys up to speed yet i would like to see some rotation along the DL to keep the horses fresh through the season.

4...i know fangio isn't into heavy blitzing so im not expecting too much especially from the db's but 3 of our 4 starting LB's should only be getting better and willis is willis so why not let loose the hounds more.

go niners!!
Originally posted by Allx9er:
there's a couple of things i want to see heading into next season......

1...want to see continued growth from bowman especially in the coverage dept (dude is athletic enough). he's an AP and all but there's a reason that willis was handling most of the coverage duties, if he could add that element to his toolbox that would just make the D better as a whole. not to mention the confusion that might generate when team are trying to set their protections against the front 7.

2...anxious to see the cont. developement of t brown and culliver. as other posters have noted browns play looked like its was only getting better especially during the 2nd half of the season no reason to think wont continue that moving forward. i don't think anybody expected culliver to play up to the level that he did, he made some nice tackles and had a hand on some to's also. dude was a rookie so of course he was gonna take his lumps but overall not too many wtf moments (i think he had 1 in the 1st giants game).

3...does coach T have the young guys up to speed yet i would like to see some rotation along the DL to keep the horses fresh through the season.

4...i know fangio isn't into heavy blitzing so im not expecting too much especially from the db's but 3 of our 4 starting LB's should only be getting better and willis is willis so why not let loose the hounds more.

go niners!!

Agree. On all points. I seem to think that they may not really change too much if the defense was that productive without blitzing heavily. I can see some more disguising of defenses and it should be fun for the players and us fans to watch.
So things to look at as far as production goes:
Snaps per Unit

Week 1
Offense (67)
Defense (72)

Week 2
Offense (63)
Defense (65)

Week 3
Offense (58)
Defense (79)

Week 4
Offense (72 plays)
Defense (53 plays)


Any wonder why we looked tired against Minnesota, 79 plays on the defensive side. Yesterday, a massive 53 and the guys looked fresh. Running the ball and chewing clock which keeps the opponents offense off the field is what makes this D go from good to great in a hurry.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,262
Originally posted by jreff22:
So things to look at as far as production goes:
Snaps per Unit

Week 1
Offense (67)
Defense (72)

Week 2
Offense (63)
Defense (65)

Week 3
Offense (58)
Defense (79)

Week 4
Offense (72 plays)
Defense (53 plays)


Any wonder why we looked tired against Minnesota, 79 plays on the defensive side. Yesterday, a massive 53 and the guys looked fresh. Running the ball and chewing clock which keeps the opponents offense off the field is what makes this D go from good to great in a hurry.
and vs the vikes, the players felt and acted like it was ten am. just a bump in the road which was proven by yesterday the guys getting back to what they do. My only isse has been depth at outside linebacker and i was in no way part of the clan who were screaming we are not good, justin smith is old and aldon smith can not handle being full time. the vikings game was the perfect,, perfect example of over reaction by a few posters due to one hiccup in a long season
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by jreff22:
So things to look at as far as production goes:
Snaps per Unit

Week 1
Offense (67)
Defense (72)

Week 2
Offense (63)
Defense (65)

Week 3
Offense (58)
Defense (79)

Week 4
Offense (72 plays)
Defense (53 plays)


Any wonder why we looked tired against Minnesota, 79 plays on the defensive side. Yesterday, a massive 53 and the guys looked fresh. Running the ball and chewing clock which keeps the opponents offense off the field is what makes this D go from good to great in a hurry.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the defense allowed the Vikings to sustain too many long drives. Not to say that the rest of the team is blameless... it was bad all around.

I just wanted to point out that this time the defense just played a bad game.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by jreff22:
So things to look at as far as production goes:
Snaps per Unit

Week 1
Offense (67)
Defense (72)

Week 2
Offense (63)
Defense (65)

Week 3
Offense (58)
Defense (79)

Week 4
Offense (72 plays)
Defense (53 plays)


Any wonder why we looked tired against Minnesota, 79 plays on the defensive side. Yesterday, a massive 53 and the guys looked fresh. Running the ball and chewing clock which keeps the opponents offense off the field is what makes this D go from good to great in a hurry.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the defense allowed the Vikings to sustain too many long drives. Not to say that the rest of the team is blameless... it was bad all around.

I just wanted to point out that this time the defense just played a bad game.
I agree. I think the point.....or side point is we don't have the rotational depth to play that many snaps. I think anything over 60ish with the core 7 starts to take its toll.
Defense looks great! Alex Smith still plays like doo doo damn shame
Originally posted by Young_Montana:
Defense looks great! Alex Smith still plays like doo doo damn shame
I know I'm going out on a limb here but I think you're trolling!
Originally posted by Young_Montana:
Defense looks great! Alex Smith still plays like doo doo damn shame

Young_Montana
Captain Check Down Must go! Give Colin a shot the offense runs smoothly wit him under center
Oct 1, 2012 at 21:04:22

who got banned?