LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

The Blame Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Injuries played a big part even before the game started; Josh Morgan, Braylon Edwards, Ted Ginn. Alex is throwing to practice squad players and is one hamstring pull away from throeing to a safety converted wide receiver, Colin Jones.

C'mon man. Alex didn't win the game. He sure as hell didn't lose it
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I don't know why they did a lot of the things they did in this game. Complete facepalm, but despite everything they still almost won. We really were a great team this year and it's a shame we didn't make it to the SB. We beat a red-hot Saints team and barely lost to a supposedly "ON FIRE" Giants team. The 49ers deserved to be in the NFC Championship and they were no Fluke. Very disappointing how it ended
I feel the loss. Comes down 2 Harbaugh as much as Williams fumbles. Harbaugh's play calling didn't live up to 1/10th of his over the top guts and glory speeches. It was almost as if Singletary put the poison cloth over Harbaughs nostrils. And took over as coach in a cloned body. That play calling was pathetic
Good thing Anthony Davis didn't get injured on the play they ripped his helmet off then the other player tried to smack his helmetless face. You know the play VD was the only one to get flagged if 15 yards.....
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't get a lot in this game. Like you said Williams was awful at everything all game. Reverses, returns, holding the ball. I just can't believe he wasn't pulled. He looked like a fumble waiting to happen all day.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they went completely away from the running game. It was actually working with both Gore an Hunter early in the game. Why did we stop?

It's just one of those games man. You will beat yourself to death by thinking "If we just did this more, or if we did that we would have won." This was a game that will sting for a long time.Just how exciting the Saints game was, this was the complete oppisite feeling. For as clutch as Alex was last week, he was the complete opposite this week. The only thing that stayed true was the defense and they really held it together but the offense just could not bail them out
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by kingairta:
And who would take williams place had he been yanked?

hunter or reggie smith
Culliver was heck of a returner at South Carolina if I remember correctly.
Originally posted by Montana:
Alex is not a good QB..sorry, but he's just not. Never has been. No animosity..he just isn't good. Sorry, but his time has been up for a while. Not the popular opinion..but it's JMHO.

then you have a stupid opinion. sorry, but its been that way for a while now. not one you'd agree with, but that's just the way it is
The injury to Josh Morgan during the Bucs game hurt more than anything.
Originally posted by Prodig33:
If he fair catches all of the balls... we might be playing in the superbowl... JUST SAYING...

I thought the run game did well, pass game was crap, and special teams did what they do (minus the turnovers...)

Defense played well.. we held Eli to 6 yds per attempt... thats some legit s**t...

in the end special teams cost us the game...

Agree. If he just gets the hell away from the first ball and just goes down after fielding the 2nd ball we are in a much better to win the game. You can see the Giants returner get the ball and go down soon as people got near him. Just frustrating.
Gore should have had a career day last night. Especially in a low scoring , ball control type game we needed that.

As far as putting Hunter in, there is a reason why he is our 3rd string returner. Chances are he fumbles more often in practice than Williams.

And when I say fumbles, I mean the catch, not the run after

Originally posted by susweel:
The Harbaugh's cant get to the big game.

The coaches put a team in position to win the game. The players execute on the field. This is a game involving human beings, who are not infallible. The 49ers should have won this game. Two players - Kyle Williams and Dashon Goldston - couldn't control their aggressive natures, and they made mistakes that lost the game for the 49ers.

We all know about KW's fumbles, but Golston interfered with his teammates going for interceptions, one of whom he knocked out of the game. Those possible interceptions would have changed the entire dynamic of the game.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Aside from the Morgan injury.......not having Ginn as the return man hurt us Sunday. Ginn being the regular return man he would have held on to the ball or not have made a mistake.

The 2 Williams mistakes gave the Giants 10 points. The critical one being the FG for the win.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
dunno WHY we used Dix on 2 straight plays (esp on 3rd & 1) on a critical drive late...keeping that drive alive and @ least getting 3 pts might've iced it....

yeah...why wasn't Gore in there on that play? You'd think critical plays you want your best buy in there.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Baldie:
dunno WHY we used Dix on 2 straight plays (esp on 3rd & 1) on a critical drive late...keeping that drive alive and @ least getting 3 pts might've iced it....

yeah...why wasn't Gore in there on that play? You'd think critical plays you want your best buy in there.

Wish he could stay in for an entire drive. He took himself out after a run. He does that s**t all the time. Insert dancing Dixon and call the same play twice
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
It's just one of those games man. You will beat yourself to death by thinking "If we just did this more, or if we did that we would have won." This was a game that will sting for a long time.Just how exciting the Saints game was, this was the complete oppisite feeling. For as clutch as Alex was last week, he was the complete opposite this week. The only thing that stayed true was the defense and they really held it together but the offense just could not bail them out

Well something I've been thinking in the back of my head, sooner or later the lack of consistent production by the offense would eventually catch up. If a couple of those 3 and outs would have at least been FG's, like they normally have been during the regular season, we win this game. Yes you can blame Williams as well but after hours of thinking after the game, who else would have been the return man without Ginn?
Share 49ersWebzone