LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 353 users in the forums

The Blame Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong Brees and Manning dropped back to pass 130 times and the Saints and Giants were called for holding 2 times?

I seen a really bad hold on justin smith on a 3rd down but Wilis broke up the pass to Cruz so it would have been declined anyways. Guy is free game to tackle, hold, grab, whatever...
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't see how we could blame Harbaugh or Roman. They got the most out of this offense all year long. They literally squeezed out every last drop. There just was not enough talent to get it done. 2 receiving threats is not enough. We essentially played with our hands tied all year long, and won 13 games and a playoff game.

I thought the playcalling was fine today. Nobody was getting open to convert on those 3rd downs. The Giants have a very talented D that has played extremely well for 5 games now. They zoned in on VD and Crabtree, and nobody else was capable of getting open and making a play. We need more talent at WR and TE. Given the right moves, the 2012 49er offense will be a force.

agreed.....fantastic job...long way to go to next year/////////////fuk............
I know this may sound like an excuse and perhaps it is....however, I wanted to point out that after Iupati got hurt, the OL had a really hard time giving Alex time to throw....and the injuries to the receiving corps left him with very little to throw to. We all know about how critical Ginn's absence ended up being but I would also add that after T Brown went out, Eli went right after Brock and burned him with a TD pass on a 3rd and 15.

I guess what I'm really saying is that the stars were not aligned for the Niners today. In any game of this magnitude, it always seems that the winning team gets a key break at a critical time.... It doesn't necessarily make that team better, just more fortunate at that particular crucial moment. If the Niners get the call on the forced fumble near the end of the game, for example, they win. Fate was with NY today...not with the Niners.

To sum up, unless a team is extremely dominant (very rare in any sport), generally it takes some good fortune sometime in the playoffs in order to win it all. Last week, the Niners got some of that good fortune and today they didn't.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM ]
Yeah, funny how the Giants fans mentioned they lost last time due to injuries but when it mattered we ended up being more beat up. Troy Aikman even mentioned how we are the healthiest team in the NFL? or was it playoffs. Guess he didn't figure on Ginn being out as a problem like some of us did. Also, T Brown going out, Brock his replacement gave up the go ahead TD. (even though I like Brock) Then Iupati... he was hobbling around so I doubt he was 100% when he came back in. P.S. One i guess you could say funny note from today... Iupati with his head down walking to the sidelines damn near takes out one of the security staff. She was like 5'5 120 pounds and he walks by and brushes her nose with his shoulder. Looked like a giant and a baby.

P.S. I agree.. the ball just didn't bounce our way today. Almost everything went against us.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Apone:
Williams was awful from the beginning. He almost lost that fumble on the reverse. Fair catching balls with no one around him for at least 10 good yards. Diving for balls...for what reason I have no idea. Not to mention he was completely useless as a receiver. Harbaugh should of yanked Williams.

Roman must of thought Alex was Young, Crabtree was Rice, and Gore was Terry Kirby. He completely got away from the run in the 2nd half When he did call run plays, it was either sweeps or draws from the gun.....

The lack of run plays pissed me off more than anything. We were running on them well then when the game was on the line he puts Alex in the gun and the Giants dropped everyone into coverage. I think Roman made some bonehead calls in this game we had our opportunities win but couldnt get it done.
i was yelling run on almost every 1st n 2nd down... just so we can control the clock and keep our defense resting, not to mention the success we were having running it with frank. Btw why did we have Dixon in on that 3rd n 1 at the 50 in the first half? all dixon does is dance around and get stuffed... giants got a fg on the next drive before the half. Just saying! Still Kyle is the goat, 1 fumble is ok... but 2????!!! COME'ON MAAAAANNNNN! Roger Craig all over again! Props to the giants tho, they made plays when they had to!
blaming them for keeping in kyle williams is retarded, he's the next guy up, he's supposed to do his job, he gets all the reps in practice. if they had made a change during the game and put reggie smith or hunter to replace williams and they fumbled people would be calling for harbaugh's head.
Agreed. You make a very valid point. The Pats got in on a choke of a FG.
Alex and Kyle played a big part in the loss. Trade them both..JMHO. I've not been jazzed about Alex Smith..ever really..sorry..Jmho.
that's how the cookie crumbles....
Originally posted by Montana:
Alex and Kyle played a big part in the loss. Trade them both..JMHO. I've not been jazzed about Alex Smith..ever really..sorry..Jmho.

I understand Kyle, but as for Alex who would you get? I know he's not upper echelon QB but I still believe he's damn good. We went 14-4 this year, and a big part of it was him protecting the ball, and making the key plays when needed. I say get him some weapons. Davis was it for the last two games, and we almost made it to the super bowl. I just wish that Braylon had panned out and Morgan didn't get hurt.

I believe that your animosity for Alex was the past terrible 5 years, but most of us now understand that it had more to do with coaching and the lack of stable system.

I blame people that didn't protect the football..especially if it's raining..gosh forbid! . Or maybe I should blame it on the rain..ya, that's what I will do.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Williams was awful from the beginning. He almost lost that fumble on the reverse. Fair catching balls with no one around him for at least 10 good yards. Diving for balls...for what reason I have no idea. Not to mention he was completely useless as a receiver. Harbaugh should of yanked Williams.

Roman must of thought Alex was Young, Crabtree was Rice, and Gore was Terry Kirby. He completely got away from the run in the 2nd half When he did call run plays, it was either sweeps or draws from the gun.....

Totally forgot about Williams diving for that one punt. It was so unnecessary and he's very lucky he didn't fumble that punt.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:03 AM ]
Alex is not a good QB..sorry, but he's just not. Never has been. No animosity..he just isn't good. Sorry, but his time has been up for a while. Not the popular opinion..but it's JMHO.

I don't get a lot in this game. Like you said Williams was awful at everything all game. Reverses, returns, holding the ball. I just can't believe he wasn't pulled. He looked like a fumble waiting to happen all day.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they went completely away from the running game. It was actually working with both Gore an Hunter early in the game. Why did we stop?
Originally posted by Montana:
Alex is not a good QB..sorry, but he's just not. Never has been. No animosity..he just isn't good. Sorry, but his time has been up for a while. Not the popular opinion..but it's JMHO.

What did your humble opinion make of the last quarter of the Saints game? Without Alex's performance then, we aren't even playing the Giants.

Everyone has to take a share of the blame. Including Smith. But actually his performance this year has been very good. With new coaching staff and an unstable and largely unimpressive team of receivers, I take my hat off to him.

If his time is up, who are you planning on replacing him with? CK? That would be a pure gamble. A free agency signing? OK, which one. It is very easy to write out one player, but unless you have a better alternative to suggest it just smacks of being negative.

Personally I re-sign Alex and let Harbaugh continue to work on developing him. But Bust a gut to get a new starting RG and O line depth and a set of decent receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone