There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Blame Game

Roman's playcalling might have looked a lot better if our receivers could get open. I think the Giants were starting to play the run, which is why Alex rarely checked down to a running play.
Originally posted by Lifer:
There are good calls and bad calls in every game. We had plenty of calls go our way this year and we watched the other team's fans cry about it the next day. It's simple: you've got to play well enough to win. You've got to play well enough that a ref's call can't decide the outcome. We had plenty of chances to win this game and we didn't get it done. In the end, we played the Giants to a dead heat and the game was decided by the first team to make a mistake.

Could not agree more. Don't be a p*ssy and whine about refs. WIN the damn game. Don't give the refs a chance to decide the game for you. WIN the game.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I wouldn't go as far as saying Roman needs to go, but something definitely needs to change. Whether it's a WR overhaul or a Gronk like TE, something needs to be done.

Well, there's something to be said for why Gronk is as dominant as he is. The Pats have a pretty cohesive offensive unit and they have lots of weapons that demand a lot of attention.

The Niners need upgrades at key offensive positions....especially WR. Watching other WRs in the league makes plays week after week shows how poor the position is for the team.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Five4Five:
Roman's playcalling might have looked a lot better if our receivers could get open. I think the Giants were starting to play the run, which is why Alex rarely checked down to a running play.

Thank you. At least there is some guys in here who have some sort of football iq in niner talk.
No man. We were up 14-10 when William had his mishaps. Then we tide it again with a field goal at 17-17 to go overtime. Roman and the offense just couldn't over come the turnovers. Williams lost the game . Gave the offense a bigger mountain to climb out of.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM ]
Have respect for the season and the team that was. Be grateful you were able to watch the 49ers in the NFC Championship game for a change.

The creativity of this offense is exciting from a surprise option that worked to Alex's QB keeper 28 yard TD vs. the Saints. Fact is we don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl. You can't lose at home and say that you do.

Looking back it is the WR injuries that did us in. We took a flyer on Braylon Edwards and he couldn't finish the season. Ted Ginn Jr is a difference maker in our passing game, running game, and return game and was out. We are trotting practice squad players out wide in the NFC title fight.

Greg Roman will be with us for a long time provided some other team doesn't make him their HC. What you miss Jimmy Raye already?
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM ]
Baalke was to busy patting himself on the back, to pick up late season help after our two strting WRs went down. Roman's only creativity is on trick plays they cant get right and with lousy execution(coaching).
And Williams was more concerned about himself looking great then making his team look like winners
Yeah although he did have some good play calls mixed in. Look, we just do not have the weapons on offense. We have Vernon Davis and thats just about it. Crabtree can't get open. Kyle Williams is a backup. Walker was rusty. We should have punched it in for a TD when we were in the red zone. We lived all year by kicking field goals and it got us. I do think we should have ran the ball more with Gore but it just was not meant to be.
I havent come unglued in front of my girls watching a game like that yet. I havent gone off at a game I was coaching like that in a long time. I totally flipped out.
Champions overcome injuries.
I wish Harbaugh was granted that TO in the red zone. A TD there would have won us the game. Instead we threw to Crabtree in the flat on third and five.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No man. We were up 14-10 when William had his mishaps. Then we tide it again with a field goal at 17-17 to go overtime. Roman and the offense just couldn't over come the turnovers. Williams lost the game . Gave the offense a bigger mountain to climb out of.

For the 49ers to only score 17 points after all their opportunities is b******t.

Even on that field goal to tie it, they had a chance to put it in the endzone, or at the very least get a 1st down and couldn't do it. In any other game, with the performance that the defense put on, Williams performance should have been a cautionary footnote due to the offense scoring 24 points or more.

The red-zone and third down offense this year was a joke, Harbaugh, Roman and the offensive staff need to spend their offseason finding ways to fix that, both personnel and playcalling wise.
whistle blew, then the ball was stripped. No fumble. But that whistle sure did blow much quicker than normal.
Originally posted by English:
What did your humble opinion make of the last quarter of the Saints game? Without Alex's performance then, we aren't even playing the Giants.

Everyone has to take a share of the blame. Including Smith. But actually his performance this year has been very good. With new coaching staff and an unstable and largely unimpressive team of receivers, I take my hat off to him.

If his time is up, who are you planning on replacing him with? CK? That would be a pure gamble. A free agency signing? OK, which one. It is very easy to write out one player, but unless you have a better alternative to suggest it just smacks of being negative.

Personally I re-sign Alex and let Harbaugh continue to work on developing him. But Bust a gut to get a new starting RG and O line depth and a set of decent receivers.

Luckily this is a very deep FA class for WR's and guards. I think its a very deep draft for interior linemen too. Ideally I'd like them to get a proven WR in FA then draft best available interior lineman with their 1st round pick.
We had no offseason. Coaches did a remarkable job with the time they had. We would have won the game if it wasn't for turnovers.

Gmen got 10 points on short field