There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PLAYOFFS Week 2: Thoughts after re-watching the game.....

....and re-watching it 3 times....and the final 4 minutes about 6 times. ;-)

1) Best.Game.Ever: I dunno what happens now, but I was sitting in the stands on saturday realizing that I was lucky enough to be sitting in the stadium on the day THAT happened. I'll be telling people for 20 or 30 years that I was there that day. I have been pretty fortunate in that I was also at the 49ers-Jets game when Garrison went 96 yards in OT and Jerry Rices final game when Owens caught 20. Sadly, I also saw Bryant Young break his leg on Monday Night. I only attend 1 or 2 games a season, so I've been pretty lucky with the games I actually attended. Even if the 49ers run is over here, I'll always remember that day.

2) Vernon: Wow. Vernon has a habit of disappearing at times and not really having his head completely in the game, but he pulled out the game of his life on Sat. He would not be denied. Some credit has to be given to Greg Williams for going into man coverage, but Vernon still beat his man and made the plays when it mattered.

3) Crabtree: Rough game...but that might be a good thing. I'm sure he's dissappointed with his performance. I'd expect him to really focus because he's been given a second chance. I think we will see big things from him on Sunday.

4) Gore: Man, he looked healthier than he's looked in weeks. He still isn't the Frank of 3 years ago, but he is MUCH better then the guy who's been playing the past month and a half. The Giants are going to see a different Frank Gore then the one they saw in week 10.

5) Justin Smith: Animal.

6) O-Line: That preseason game turned out to be a great thing. The Saints got through a few times, but when it really mattered Alex had a semi-clean pocket. He was able to step into those throws....particularly the late one to Davis and the Game Winner. The boys are growing up. Watch Staley on the bootleg. Incredible. LTs shouldn't be able to run that fast.

7) Goldson/Whitner: I said before the game that those guys needed to eat their Wheaties....and they did. They got chewed up a bit late, but through 56 minutes they were PUNISHING people. OMG...the Pierre Thomas hit. Pierre was one of the main reasons the Saints beat the Lions. The Lions simply couldn't tackle him. With that one hit, Whitner told them "we don't play that sh*t here". Saints fans are whining and complaining about it, but after watching it SEVERAL times, it's CLEARLY a clean hit. Did helmet collide? Yes. Pierres helmet was lower that Whitners and he hit with the side of his helmet. GREAT HIT.

8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.

9) Special Teams: Best in the league and it showed. Lee even had a bit of an off night but the coverage was sooooo good that it didn't matter.

10) Alex: Finally......Alex. I feel like a parent when his child graduates from High School. He wasn't perfect, but he delivered when it counted. Thats the rep that he's getting now. He isn't the best in the league but when he NEEDS to be good, he delivers. He's done it 6 times this year....most notably in Philly, in Detroit, and now vs NO. He is FINALLY starting to fulfill that promise he had when he was drafted. Aaron Rodgers is sitting at home boys, and Alex freakin' Smith is HOSTING the NFC Championship game. Let that sink in for a bit.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
Great summary.

I semi forgot that Gore didn't play against the Giants (except for 6 carries). That is going to be a huge upgrade for us since their run D sucks. I hope Roman favors the run more than the pass this game. Beat them up physically on defense so that come 4th quarter they are tired.

Another key to me is our o-line vs. their d-line. They have some guys back healthy so using the run to take advantage of their aggressiveness is key.
As aways, great post Marvin. Good stuff and I agree with everything you posted. Justin Smith is de player of the year.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

Great summary! Man I am so happy for this team especially Alex ad VD, but am just so happy. Jim Harbaugh is awesome. Damn I am just so happy.
Great stuff Marvin
I look forward to reading your posts each week, Marvin, because you nail it every time. My only quibble is that I would say that Alex graduated from college, not high school. He can still go on and get a PhD.
I look forward to your points every week. Good post; I'm also very proud of Alex.
Healthy gire in the NFC championship!!!
Justin Smith biggest reason we won him and Alex. Gore only had 13 carries and had 89 yards thats not factoring his catches which were key in final minutes. Thats 6.8 Yards per Carry
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.

Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.

BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.

BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!

Willis had good coverage on each play. It's a testament to Brees to put those throws right on the money. The first throw he threw high to a place only Graham could get it, the second, he threw to Graham's back shoulder in tight coverage. Flash back to the game where Willis was in charge of covering Gresham of the Bengals, Patrick had similarly tight coverage but was able to break up a few of those passes because Dalton doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy of Brees. Good coverage, better QB play in this last game, but that's expected when you play a guy as good as Brees.

And Marvin, I appreciate all the breakdowns you give every week!

What are you talking about. Willis had perfect coverage on the first TD. A perfect throw always beats perfect coverage. There is nothing Willis could have done there.

On the second TD, Willis had perfect coverage again. Brees threw what you could call a back shoulder throw in which Graham had to twist around and make an amazing catch. Even then, Whitner should have rocked him but went for the ball instead.

Yes, Graham had two TDs but outside of a penalty there is nothing Willis could have done to prevent that.
Willis got beat by a taller more althletic player simple. He was beast in run support and tackling. He did what he had to do to win you cant always play perfect.

Dude....

Patrick Willis is all world, but he's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker. Jimmy Graham is a 6'7" Athletic freak of a player.

Both of the passes you are talking about are indefensable, up in the air where the 6'7" guy had to go UP to get it.

You need to adjust your expectations.

Jimmy Graham has been doing that to the entire league all year long.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Dude....

Patrick Willis is all world, but he's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker. Jimmy Graham is a 6'7" Athletic freak of a player.

Both of the passes you are talking about are indefensable, up in the air where the 6'7" guy had to go UP to get it.

You need to adjust your expectations.

Jimmy Graham has been doing that to the entire league all year long.

Umm...he allowed the catch, didn't break up the pass, then fell down and didn't make the tackle...and I need to adjust my expectations when Willis is in coverage? C'mon! I love PW just like any Niner fan. But he didn't break up the pass nor make the tackle. Once again, that's NOT good coverage, but whatever, I won't push it any further.