Great summary.
I semi forgot that Gore didn't play against the Giants (except for 6 carries). That is going to be a huge upgrade for us since their run D sucks. I hope Roman favors the run more than the pass this game. Beat them up physically on defense so that come 4th quarter they are tired.
Another key to me is our o-line vs. their d-line. They have some guys back healthy so using the run to take advantage of their aggressiveness is key.
There are 703 users in the forums
PLAYOFFS Week 2: Thoughts after re-watching the game.....
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM
- LaMattsBlue
- Member
- Posts: 27,765
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM
- 49erJim
- Veteran
- Posts: 21,524
As aways, great post Marvin. Good stuff and I agree with everything you posted. Justin Smith is de player of the year.
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
- AZ9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,887
Great summary! Man I am so happy for this team especially Alex ad VD, but am just so happy. Jim Harbaugh is awesome. Damn I am just so happy.
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
- BYisGod
- Veteran
- Posts: 16,256
Great stuff Marvin
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM
- ClassicNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 827
I look forward to reading your posts each week, Marvin, because you nail it every time. My only quibble is that I would say that Alex graduated from college, not high school. He can still go on and get a PhD.
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
- OregonDuckNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,385
I look forward to your points every week. Good post; I'm also very proud of Alex.
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM
- Snider8706
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,397
Healthy gire in the NFC championship!!!
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM
- Axl49
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,402
Justin Smith biggest reason we won him and Alex. Gore only had 13 carries and had 89 yards thats not factoring his catches which were key in final minutes. Thats 6.8 Yards per Carry
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM
- mcbaes72
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,679
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM
- LaMattsBlue
- Member
- Posts: 27,765
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
What are you talking about. Willis had perfect coverage on the first TD. A perfect throw always beats perfect coverage. There is nothing Willis could have done there.
On the second TD, Willis had perfect coverage again. Brees threw what you could call a back shoulder throw in which Graham had to twist around and make an amazing catch. Even then, Whitner should have rocked him but went for the ball instead.
Yes, Graham had two TDs but outside of a penalty there is nothing Willis could have done to prevent that.
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM
- Axl49
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,402
Willis got beat by a taller more althletic player simple. He was beast in run support and tackling. He did what he had to do to win you cant always play perfect.
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Dude....
Patrick Willis is all world, but he's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker. Jimmy Graham is a 6'7" Athletic freak of a player.
Both of the passes you are talking about are indefensable, up in the air where the 6'7" guy had to go UP to get it.
You need to adjust your expectations.
Jimmy Graham has been doing that to the entire league all year long.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM ]
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM
- mcbaes72
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,679
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Dude....
Patrick Willis is all world, but he's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker. Jimmy Graham is a 6'7" Athletic freak of a player.
Both of the passes you are talking about are indefensable, up in the air where the 6'7" guy had to go UP to get it.
You need to adjust your expectations.
Jimmy Graham has been doing that to the entire league all year long.
Umm...he allowed the catch, didn't break up the pass, then fell down and didn't make the tackle...and I need to adjust my expectations when Willis is in coverage? C'mon! I love PW just like any Niner fan. But he didn't break up the pass nor make the tackle. Once again, that's NOT good coverage, but whatever, I won't push it any further.
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
- LaMattsBlue
- Member
- Posts: 27,765
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
Didn't Willis give up the first TD to TE Graham and got turned around and fell down which led to Graham's second TD? If I'm correct on both, I wouldn't say he played well in coverage at all. Side note: I don't like Graham at all...see his two TDs, he staring down the crowd like he's gonna fight them, and after the second TD, he punches the "Niners" logo on the goal post. F*** that SOB! VD just out-shined his performance and he was humble, too.
BTW, saw that game with my dad and nearly cried when Saints scored their last TD. I really thought we were gonna lose, but ended up being being tears of joy and I screamed at the top of my lungs and hugged my dad when VD hugged Harbaugh. Great moment and one of the best playoff games ever!
Dude....
Patrick Willis is all world, but he's a 6'2" Inside Linebacker. Jimmy Graham is a 6'7" Athletic freak of a player.
Both of the passes you are talking about are indefensable, up in the air where the 6'7" guy had to go UP to get it.
You need to adjust your expectations.
Jimmy Graham has been doing that to the entire league all year long.
Umm...he allowed the catch, didn't break up the pass, then fell down and didn't make the tackle...and I need to adjust my expectations when Willis is in coverage? C'mon! I love PW just like any Niner fan. But he didn't break up the pass nor make the tackle. Once again, that's NOT good coverage, but whatever, I won't push it any further.
Delusional. The first TD was a perfect throw high in the air to a 6'7 guy. What do you want Willis to do there?
The second pass was high and thrown to the back shoulder in which Graham had to twist around to even come up with it. In that case Willis had perfect coverage and made Brees throw it to that location. Brees did and it is up to Whitner to break it up, not Willis.