1) Best.Game.Ever: I dunno what happens now, but I was sitting in the stands on saturday realizing that I was lucky enough to be sitting in the stadium on the day THAT happened. I'll be telling people for 20 or 30 years that I was there that day. I have been pretty fortunate in that I was also at the 49ers-Jets game when Garrison went 96 yards in OT and Jerry Rices final game when Owens caught 20. Sadly, I also saw Bryant Young break his leg on Monday Night. I only attend 1 or 2 games a season, so I've been pretty lucky with the games I actually attended. Even if the 49ers run is over here, I'll always remember that day.
2) Vernon: Wow. Vernon has a habit of disappearing at times and not really having his head completely in the game, but he pulled out the game of his life on Sat. He would not be denied. Some credit has to be given to Greg Williams for going into man coverage, but Vernon still beat his man and made the plays when it mattered.
3) Crabtree: Rough game...but that might be a good thing. I'm sure he's dissappointed with his performance. I'd expect him to really focus because he's been given a second chance. I think we will see big things from him on Sunday.
4) Gore: Man, he looked healthier than he's looked in weeks. He still isn't the Frank of 3 years ago, but he is MUCH better then the guy who's been playing the past month and a half. The Giants are going to see a different Frank Gore then the one they saw in week 10.
5) Justin Smith: Animal.
6) O-Line: That preseason game turned out to be a great thing. The Saints got through a few times, but when it really mattered Alex had a semi-clean pocket. He was able to step into those throws....particularly the late one to Davis and the Game Winner. The boys are growing up. Watch Staley on the bootleg. Incredible. LTs shouldn't be able to run that fast.
7) Goldson/Whitner: I said before the game that those guys needed to eat their Wheaties....and they did. They got chewed up a bit late, but through 56 minutes they were PUNISHING people. OMG...the Pierre Thomas hit. Pierre was one of the main reasons the Saints beat the Lions. The Lions simply couldn't tackle him. With that one hit, Whitner told them "we don't play that sh*t here". Saints fans are whining and complaining about it, but after watching it SEVERAL times, it's CLEARLY a clean hit. Did helmet collide? Yes. Pierres helmet was lower that Whitners and he hit with the side of his helmet. GREAT HIT.
8) Willis/Bowman: As expected. Played well in coverage but not perfect. DOMINATED vs the Run. It's too much to ask of them for a perfect day against that team, but they played very well.
9) Special Teams: Best in the league and it showed. Lee even had a bit of an off night but the coverage was sooooo good that it didn't matter.
10) Alex: Finally......Alex. I feel like a parent when his child graduates from High School. He wasn't perfect, but he delivered when it counted. Thats the rep that he's getting now. He isn't the best in the league but when he NEEDS to be good, he delivers. He's done it 6 times this year....most notably in Philly, in Detroit, and now vs NO. He is FINALLY starting to fulfill that promise he had when he was drafted. Aaron Rodgers is sitting at home boys, and Alex freakin' Smith is HOSTING the NFC Championship game. Let that sink in for a bit.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]