Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

3rd and 3

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
jerry also fumbled doe

got lucky on that one
Just like Movies the ORIGINAL is ALWAYS BEST!

CATCH 1 = SUPERBOWL!
There's only ONE catch period. The others are just good plays. Those other two failed to reignite a dynasty.
It kills me to admit that out of all three "catches" Alex Smith's final drive was by far the cleanest and best executed. Not trying to take away from Montana's epic drive or Young's comeback but we got to be honest. Alex Smith's drive was clean, quick, and precise. It won the game faster and more decidedly than the other two... Not taking away from our boys who actually have won superbowls but that drive was like something you couldn't make up. It dug deep into the heart of every 49er fan watching and left us stunned with the immensely rewarding result.

I know we all had to feel the heart breaker that followed in the next game. However I challenge any true 49er fan to say they weren't buzzing on that win for the whole week after it happened. I was almost giddy and I thank god I got to see it live.

Something special happened that night. Something that is an omen of things to come. It was truly done in 49er fashion. Now let'e hope next year gets these boys a trophy.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
The Catch I-January 10th 1982-3rd and 3 from the 6 yd line
The Catch II-January 4th 1999-3rd and 3 from the 26 yd line
The Catch III-January 14th 2012-3rd and 3 from the 14 yd line

6 + 26 + 14 = XLVI

omg....

if only it added up to 47
Originally posted by defenderDX:

6 + 26 + 14 = XLVI

omg....

26.5 and 6.5
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

6 + 26 + 14 = XLVI

omg....

26.5 and 6.5

:-/
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
There's only ONE catch period. The others are just good plays. Those other two failed to reignite a dynasty.

wtf are you even talking about? The 9ers lost the next game after the catch I - thats hardly "igniting the dynasty" after 1 play. Yes they didn't do anything in the years after the catch II but how the hell can you even say anything regarding the catch III?? Just like the previous 2 we lost the next game and 2012 isnt even here yet so how about you wait and see what happens next season before you say it "didn't reignite a dynasty"........smh
Originally posted by sfout:

wtf are you even talking about? The 9ers lost the next game after the catch I - thats hardly "igniting the dynasty" after 1 play. Yes they didn't do anything in the years after the catch II but how the hell can you even say anything regarding the catch III?? Just like the previous 2 we lost the next game and 2012 isnt even here yet so how about you wait and see what happens next season before you say it "didn't reignite a dynasty"........smh
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

ummmm...you call yourself a 49er fan?? the original catch got the niners to the superbowl, which they won...

get your facts straight before you bash someone.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

ummmm...you call yourself a 49er fan?? the original catch got the niners to the superbowl, which they won...

That should be an automatic ban.

Not only that but it was their FIRST EVER SUPERBOWL
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

That should be an automatic ban.

not sarcasm, my bad for writing it in a fairly inflammatory manner, I feel like slitting my wrists after getting that wrong lol (i think those emoticons convey my thoughts lol), I was half asleep and reading 1981 vs 1982 just like half the people on here with the regular season records a couple of pages ago reading 1998 vs 1997. But I still think my point still stands that you dont even know what last season did for us because of so many mitigating circumstances and just because we didnt get to the super bowl immediately after it doesnt mean were going to suck for the next 5 years.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:00 AM ]
Apearantly that catch wasn't the spark that was needed to ignite the dynasty. If it was we would have our 6th ring now. Like I said it was a good play but nothing to be immortalized. Sure we don't know what '12 brings but that play won't be what everyone points back to and says that play is the one that got them off to the races. For one it was in the previous season and the game after was lost. If anything the day the Yorks hired Harbaugh will be the spark that ignited the rebirth.

Top play of the season? sure Top play of the last 10 years? sure. Did it do any good? Nope team lost the championship game. So in my book it doesn't warrent a title of anything similar to the "Catch". Best play of the decade sure but not an immortalizing title.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Apearantly that catch wasn't the spark that was needed to ignite the dynasty. If it was we would have our 6th ring now. Like I said it was a good play but nothing to be immortalized. Sure we don't know what '12 brings but that play won't be what everyone points back to and says that play is the one that got them off to the races. For one it was in the previous season and the game after was lost. If anything the day the Yorks hired Harbaugh will be the spark that ignited the rebirth.

Top play of the season? sure Top play of the last 10 years? sure. Did it do any good? Nope team lost the championship game. So in my book it doesn't warrent a title of anything similar to the "Catch". Best play of the decade sure but not an immortalizing title.

Thats a good way to sum it up, my interpretation of your statement is that the Catch II was deserving because of the QB who threw it and that we were still somewhat tied to the '95 team. Which I totally agree with just as The Catch is was truly started the dynasty, and I also agree that the single event that "reignited" the 9ers was simply the hiring of Harbaugh, the reconnection to our storied past(via the Bill Walsh connection) that it brought to the surface is what will do the team the most good. The Saints game was the personification of that move IMHO, our signing of Harbaugh, Harbaugh's faith in AS, both the scoring drives(I'd also argue that with 2 incredibly epic plays and 2 epic saints plays that it is nearly impossibly to immortalize either "the run" or "the catch III" - You could make a better argument that it should be called something that embodies the entire effort like "The Game" due to Whitner's hit, The Run, The Catch III, Goldson's INT, etc) etc etc.

I think our team played off the momentum of the Saints game and that outside circumstances/modern tech ended up crushing the dream so to speak. Just like many people point out, if there had been instant replay back at The Catch II time, it would've never happened because Jerry's blantant non-call fumble. Just as to the naked eye the ball appeared to never hit Kyle Williams knee on the first kick, it was instant replay that awarded the Giants the ball. It was pure stroke of bad luck that lost us that game and yes lightning struck twice which makes it even worse.

"The Catch III" might not be immortalized as The Catch III but it will be the personification that we have finally turned the corner and gone back to our winning ways thanks to the hiring of Harbaugh and the events that were triggered because of it. That is more important then immediately "reigniting" us to a SB win, it was the message that this entire season conveyed and that single game was the physical proof of it.