LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 442 users in the forums

REFS

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While on the stadium I was indignant at the PI/grounding/non-holding for the Saints calls. Now that I'm back and looking at some of the footage I have to say that the refs were mostly bad, but not particularly partisan against us. Actually, I am very happy they let us play D - other than that bad PI call we didn't get called at all although Brees dropped back almost 70 times. I've seen equally clean pass defenses to ours get called all the time this season, which along with all the phantom roughing the passer calls annoy me more than anything in the NFL these days. I was terrified before the game that this would turn out to be a flag fest. I am happy it didn't, although we got those few disputed calls against us.
Originally posted by vaden:
Just confirmed the Saints weren't called for holding last week either (and only 3 penalties for 18 yards total). So Brees throws 106 passes against two elite defensive lines and their OL doesn't hold even once? Sure...

i think justin smith would STRONGLY disagree lol

so much f**kin holding it was comical
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Other then that bogus PI call, I actually thought they called a good game.

I saw a bunch of plays where I thought we were gonna get a flag, but the refs didn't throw one. I thought this was the best officiated game (for us) that I can remember. The let the players decide the game.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paulk205:
While on the stadium I was indignant at the PI/grounding/non-holding for the Saints calls. Now that I'm back and looking at some of the footage I have to say that the refs were mostly bad, but not particularly partisan against us. Actually, I am very happy they let us play D - other than that bad PI call we didn't get called at all although Brees dropped back almost 70 times. I've seen equally clean pass defenses to ours get called all the time this season, which along with all the phantom roughing the passer calls annoy me more than anything in the NFL these days. I was terrified before the game that this would turn out to be a flag fest. I am happy it didn't, although we got those few disputed calls against us.

True, I was surprised they let our pass D play after that 1st drive.
It was a fair game. Nothing ridiculous. I would have liked some holding calls on NO and I thought the timeout thing was weird. To be honest we have seen much worse this sesason. None of the penalties really effected the outcome of the game.
This game had some of the best officiating I have ever seen. I wish we could get this Ref crew for every game. They let the players play today. No calls were made that took the outcome out of the player's hands. Zero penalties on the Saints ( That's a little questionable ), and only 3 penalties called on the 49ers. Very clean game.
Other then that bogus PI call, I actually thought they called a good game.

My thoughts exactly. Neither the Saints or the Niners got screwed in this game because of the refs.
-a RB is not considered a defenseless player like a quarterback or receiver therefore the helmet to helmet doesn't apply to them.
-the PI in the first quarter was an acceptable call only cuz whitner never got his head around,
-the williams non call was obvious
- the false start non call
- the lets not penalize mr brees for intentional grounding was ridiculous

-we did get away with one, the bowman shove.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
For the record, the Saints DID get penalized. They got an illegal block in the back that was declined, and since it was declined it doesnt go on the stat sheet.
Originally posted by 4ort9rz:
-a RB is not considered a defenseless player like a quarterback or receiver therefore the helmet to helmet doesn't apply to them.
-the PI in the first quarter was an acceptable call only cuz whitner never got his head around,
-the williams non call was obvious
- the false start non call
- the lets not penalize mr brees for intentional grounding was ridiculous

-we did get away with one, the bowman shove.

I feel they kind of got away with one as well with the arm bar on Swain in the 4th quarter. Swain couldn't get his left hand up to make an attempt. Questionable, but I felt a flag for at least holding should've been thrown.

• kray28
  • Veteran
There was that obvious delay of game by the Saints where they were given the timeout eventhough they called it too late and ran a (third down play which was an incomplete pass). Result of it all....no penalty, they get their timeout and a do over of their 3rd down.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Nope.

u dum.

NFL just ruled hit was legal. So it looks like u dum not me.
What about the down by contact on the int which brought the ball back 30 yards (and out of scoring range) just before half time? Was at the game but looked like a major bad call to me.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
What about the down by contact on the int which brought the ball back 30 yards (and out of scoring range) just before half time? Was at the game but looked like a major bad call to me.

It looked like he touched Brown as they both fell to the ground on the TV replay
Originally posted by Jakemall:

It looked like he touched Brown as they both fell to the ground on the TV replay

Looked clean at the game, but no replay on it, so did not know for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone