There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL Network to air NFC Championship game from Jan.10th, 1982-----The Catch Relived

Wow, I have this game on DVD, but not the live broadcast version. So back and forth, and it really was looking so bad until the final drive. By the end, it really felt like the niners were going to the super bowl now.
Man, I totally forgot about how the crowd was so effing loud whilst our offense was out (almost reminds me of today); a fan generation that's used to losing finds it hard to contain itself when the offense is out making big plays.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Everyone always forgets the Cowboys almost came back in this game at the end

no we don;t we just don't wish to talk about it!! lol Nice Horse collar hit by Eric Wright at the end of the game hahahaha

Yeah Wright was bringing him down no matter what haha
The dude in the white suit in the crowd was f**kin pimp!

Ive never seen a crowd like that at the stick... I thought giants fans were the only bay area fans that acted all weird like that, is this a San Francisco thing that I'm just now getting? Or maybe that was just the 80's...
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Ive never seen a crowd like that at the stick... I thought giants fans were the only bay area fans that acted all weird like that, is this a San Francisco thing that I'm just now getting? Or maybe that was just the 80's...

Those same fans are still there... they are just in their 70s now and very cranky.
Originally posted by aman49:

Those same fans are still there... they are just in their 70s now and very cranky.

[ Edited by Condor99 on Jan 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM ]
^^^ yes

I hope to see them on saturday
[ Edited by modninerfan on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM ]
As a niner fan for the last 13-14 years, I am ashamed to say that I have never seen this game. Watched it last night... Wow... Montana has 4 turnovers?! wtf was that?! Very exciting though actually watching the lead up to "The Catch" then watching it happen and hearing the crowd go ape s**t crazy. Unbelievable. I can only imagine what it must have been like live (I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's gonads yet).

I was really amazed at how many turnovers the niners had in that game, I think it was 6? And then they STILL find a way to win? Epic. Somehow Joe marches 90 yards and takes over 4 minutes off the clock to put the niners ahead by one, but I think the defense does not get enough credit in contributing to the win. A couple great defensive plays that allowed them to win that game. Off the top of my head the interception following the interception (In the red zone?) and then the forced fumble at the end of the game.

After watching the game, I am super amped about the game versus the Saints on Saturday. Can't wait to hang out at the local bar with some buddies and hopefully witness some more niner history.

hes my fav, (we call him Big Daddy) I remember some of those people! The 49er crowd back then was awesome and the 80ies were as well. The fans were so ready for this game and very very hungry for a win over the hated cowboys, the cowboy had beaten us in 3 playoff games and were 3 and 0 vs us. 2 or those teams that lost to the cowboys were very good teams that could have gone all the way, so we were all ready to beat them anyway we could. Plus the game was right after Xams and new years and a Huge Storm had hit us durning the New York Giants game week. (that was a great game as well)
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
never knew why this game (and others, like the Catch 2, wild card vs giants, etc) wasn't included in the 49ers "greatest games" dvd set (which only consists of the 5 super bowls)

of course, dallas , GB, pittburgh, even the f--ing giants have their memorable reg season/postseason in addition to super bowl included in their dvd sets...
lol.........to be fair, it DOES say "Super Bowl Victories" on the box.....
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
I'm 20 and watching this confirms my belief that Joe is the best QB of all time. For those of you who got to see him play, I am truly jealous. Nobody else looks as calm and cool as him. It's crazy.

Joe was fun to watch play in almost every game he played in for the 49ers. I have never ever seen a NFL QB who was sooo loved and played so well and did things in games that would just wow you. We will never see another QB like Joe Montana.

Peyton manning is loved like that in Indy

Everyone had his jersey when I made the trip over there the last time we played at Lucas Oil... You could of asked any kind of of question and their answer was Peyton Manning

i heard joe montana got pulled over by a cop one time for running a red light or something and when the cop seen it was joe he apologized and let him go lol and i heard the other cops at the station gave him a hard time about it. that was back when he was a 49er though.. nowadays i dont think even our 49er players could be given that type of slack anymore with how the world relvolves these days
AWWW I am so mad I came here to late to see this!!!!! I was only a year old when it happened
Originally posted by danimal:
those shots of the crowd and some people talking on cell phones. Those aren't phones

You know, that's probably what stands out to me more so than anything else. The way people are dressed, the way they are cheering, it's strange to me lol. It's like some of them are going out to a party lol
Originally posted by YoungWifey:
those shots of the crowd and some people talking on cell phones. Those aren't phones

You know, that's probably what stands out to me more so than anything else. The way people are dressed, the way they are cheering, it's strange to me lol. It's like some of them are going out to a party lol
Well, as I almost recall, most of the Eighties, Was a Party...
[ Edited by highway49 on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM ]
Originally posted by YoungWifey:

These days a lot of young people just want to dress in a bunch of baggy ass clothes and look like a bunch of ghetto slobs. Seriously, I live in Denver and I see kids walking around in the middle of winter while it's snowing wearing basketball uniforms and sneakers like they're normal clothes. And no, they didn't just step off the court---one of them was my idiot 28 year old neighbor walking around in Michael Jordan's college uniform.