There are 204 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL Network to air NFC Championship game from Jan.10th, 1982-----The Catch Relived

Is this it? is this drive coming up?
Is it me because it doesnt look like they are grabbing and holding receivers all over the field. It was clean coverage as in todays game that I saw in that game 30 years ago.

Well, there goes that argument.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
OMG... I heard a vuvuzela

Back then well called them "horns."

I don't know. It seems more exotic to call it vuvuzela...
Go Joe!... you can do it!
This is such a great game... And Montana is the man. I remember wathcing this game when I was little kid along with the all the 49ers super bowls at their old practice facility now the NFL Alumni west coast chapter board meeting room when I was hanging out with my grandpa. Good times. Walsh just was slowly chipping away at the cowboys west coast style during this "Catch" drive
Originally posted by Joecool:
Is it me because it doesnt look like they are grabbing and holding receivers all over the field. It was clean coverage as in todays game that I saw in that game 30 years ago.

Well, there goes that argument.

If memory serves the bump area was longer back in the day. The strike zone on a player was much bigger but with all of the extra padding they have on it must of felt like running into a couch.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
*fixed

for real though, when I first saw this game a few years ago in its entirety i was amazed at the crisp, hard hits the NFL used to allow...nowadays
So sick of that crap! just let the guys play.
I am a huge 49er and overall football fan. I used to love the hard hits but then something changed my mind. My grandfather Jerry Mertens played for the 49ers in the 50s and 60s, and a few years ago starting showing signs of Dementia/Alzheimer's. He, and hundreds of ex football players showing signs of severe brain abnormalities. Joe the Jet Perry you all know on the zone had been experiencing many brain related problems before he passed. He is an article by the Bee that talks about it more...

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/09/4110875/49er-great-perrys-brain-suffered.html#mi_rss=49ers

My grandfather did a lot after his playing days including becoming president of the NFL Alumni west coast chapter. Now he does things that I wouldn't like to mention but is very hard to see after such a strong successful man has crumbled so quickly to someone that resembles a 5 year old. The NFL realizes that someone is either going to die or that all of its players are going to go full retard. I hope people start realizing why the NFL is changing its ways. I know many will say yes its football and if you can't deal with the hard hits then you shouldn't play or watch but what people don't realize is that these guys lives are being cut wayyyy to short and its very sad. And trust me the ending is not pretty either.

One last link so show even more recent players are facing similar issues

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077129/Benjamin-Utecht-Fears-ex-NFL-player-remember-best-friends-wedding.html
http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2011/7/7/2263963/former-baltimore-colts-john-mackey-passes-away

I hope I changed at least one of the members from the zone that I have been apart of for about 10 years now. Go 9ers!!!
Ill just say this, Im sorry to hear about your Grandfather, don't wish that on anyone. With that being said, when my dad, grandfather, uncles and my brother signed up for the military, they new as well that there would be risks associated with it, the same goes for football, there are risks involved. I understand that football is just a game but the two glaring similarity's are, that there are risks to injury. Its asinine to say, "when i signed up I didn't expect this to happen" or "I didn't sign up for this". When I played football in high school my mom and dad both told me I could really hurt myself, I could break something but knowing that I could get hurt, I played anyway. Players now days now this as well, there is always going to be head injury's, and Godell trying to alter the game to reduce that is laughable and is ruining the game, sure, flag those that intentionally aim for the head but most of the flags thrown are jokes, most of the flags this year have been against hits that cannot be changed in mid air, the Broncos game is a perfect example to why you cant change the location of the way a player hits, so we say, don't hit high because he might not remember who he is but hit him low so he cant walk ever gain. Point is, the game is a violent sport, there is nothing that we can do to reduce injurys, you take away the high hit, then there is going to be more leg injury's, you take away the low hits then there will be more hip and torso injury's, (assuming they say you can only hit to the mid section) and then finally you take away the mid section, we will have ourselves a nice game of two hand touch. We will see players making some adjustments to the rules but this will never reduce the injury's and as a former player, I would rather risk a head injury than never being able to walk strait again, as I know that there are were ways to protect my head from being hit.

Again I am really sorry to hear about your Grandfather, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

O are you kidding me man. I don't give a flying F**k about broken bones. My grandfather broke his neck during the last game of the season which ended his career against the Packers. Was put in a body cast for 6 or 8 months. You guys will just never understand until you see it first hand for your self. My grandfather literally has the mind of a 5 year old. We got ice cream the other day and he wanted 4 and he was the only one eating ice cream. I told him no but he insisted and then once he got them tried to pay with his pocket change. That is nothing and its an hourly problem like that. Twice since I started watching both Freddie and Dorsett have to leave the game because they obviously got light up on their heads and leave for the sidelines completely dizzy. The brain is the most important organ and makes you who you are. Once you loose your brain but the body still works its a very sad sight to see. Its worse then death really, its imprisonment in your own body. Anyways just thought I would try to further prove my point but go 49ers!

Lets beat the Saints. Driving all the way down from school to come watch the game with my dad and grandpa. Last time I went to the game I cried when my grandfathers' (Jerry Rice's) number got retired. His mind was long gone by then.

to the giants also beating Green Bay so we get the NFCC at the stick just like the "Catch".
[ Edited by THEMerts80 on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM ]
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
OMG... I heard a vuvuzela

Back then well called them "horns."

I don't know. It seems more exotic to call it vuvuzela...

Save that for the 21st century World Cup, this here is 1982-terminology.
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM ]
if anybody wonders why we need a tall RZ target.....I rest my case
Joe Cool
Everyone always forgets the Cowboys almost came back in this game at the end
Montana Super Bowl GOD
Even after 30 years that was awesome as ever.
Originally posted by THEMerts80:
Everyone always forgets the Cowboys almost came back in this game at the end

no we don;t we just don't wish to talk about it!! lol Nice Horse collar hit by Eric Wright at the end of the game hahahaha
Montana Super Bowl GOD

Montana when the end of the game was on the line was perfect. Awesome in fact. The Best.