There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defending Jimmy Graham

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't know. NYG aren't exactly a spread type of team. NO and GB go 4-wide a lot.

Then, we use our Nickle D on them primarily. Line 4-2-5... or even 4-1-6...in the Dime with Smith and Smith taking care of the front end while Rodgers, Brown, Culliver/Brock, Goldson and Whitner take care of the back.

I believe we can do it. As long as we can apply pressure with just a front four, it will allow us to suffocate the deep pass to make them throw in front and we surely tackle them at that point like always do.

Nothing like a swarming D to wreak havoc!!!!

I have been thinking about the 4-2-5 alignment, Tico. I think that might be the way to go against NO. Aldon all day on Brees. It's going to tax the hell out of PW and NB, though.
Willis bump man to man coverage all day I predict 2 catches 23 yards....ALL DAY!!!!
you let him catch a pass over the middle early in the 1st quarter and then hit him so hard he's hearing footsteps the rest of the day
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I don't know. NYG aren't exactly a spread type of team. NO and GB go 4-wide a lot.

Then, we use our Nickle D on them primarily. Line 4-2-5... or even 4-1-6...in the Dime with Smith and Smith taking care of the front end while Rodgers, Brown, Culliver/Brock, Goldson and Whitner take care of the back.

I believe we can do it. As long as we can apply pressure with just a front four, it will allow us to suffocate the deep pass to make them throw in front and we surely tackle them at that point like always do.

I have been thinking about the 4-2-5 alignment, Tico. I think that might be the way to go against NO. Aldon all day on Brees. It's going to tax the hell out of PW and NB, though.
The Niners employed a 4-1-6 against Marino for most of that Super Bowl.

The awesome thing is that we can stop the run with that alignment. Muuuwaaahahahahahahahaha!

The awesome thing is that we can stop the run with that alignment. Muuuwaaahahahahahahahaha!

Completely agree! AND rush the passer AND cover skill positions with our LBs.
Originally posted by Kam_mamba:
I dont think any team in the NFL has any 6'6' cornerbacks

Not 6'6", but Brandon Browner from the Seahawks is 6'4".
Bottom line is our D needs to be super aggressive with the receivers and TEs. Give our rushers a few extra seconds to get to Brees. Bump and run just aint gonna cut it. We need to drives these a*****es to the ground. Completely disrupt the timing, and frustrate them. Damn I'm so fired up, I wish I could play in this game.
GUYS DID YOU HEAR JIMMY GRAHAM PLAYED BASKETBALL IN COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL

GUYS DID YOU HEAR JIMMY GRAHAM HAD A TOUGH UPBRINGING
Take away brees you take away graham

I call this the dallas clark effect.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
GUYS DID YOU HEAR JIMMY GRAHAM PLAYED BASKETBALL IN COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL

GUYS DID YOU HEAR JIMMY GRAHAM HAD A TOUGH UPBRINGING

Patrick Willis had it worse and will let it be known to graham cracker.
Play Vernon on the scout team; would be the most ideal comparison to practice with.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
It's not just that Graham is so damn good, it's that the Saints have SO many weapons around Graham that makes defending any one target a brutal challenge.

The best way to beat the Saints is to disguise what we are doing... which means lots of pre-snap movement from our defenders. The Saints are so devastating with their screen game... so we can't just send the house around the edge. We could try playing that soft-arse zone D and hope to Jeebus that they make some errors... but I do hate that ish.

I don't know... aside from the pre-snap movement to disguise intent? I just don't know. Bets bet is to do that on D, and on O? We gotta play keep-away and get them frustrated with lack of possessions.

agree
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
You really think that? Oh boy.... okay then. I'd love to believe that, but I do watch every Saints game as well as Niners, and simply must disagree.

Oldman--is Meachem out? I was posting a list of receivers for several teams on the Smith thread and he was a leader among the NO receivers, #4 WR if I remember correctly. Are their receivers healthy? Much talk about the 9ers having just as many good receivers as the elite teams...seems not to be the case to me but I'm getting tired of research.

Late reply.. I haven't been on since much earlier. Meachem was listed with a knee contusion, but he's been practicing the last two days and is fine. The one to watch for is Lance Moore, who has hamstring issues. He may or may not play this weekend, but if he does not play, I expect that he would play against us the following week if they do beat the Lions.

No, don't let the JoeCools BS you with that noise... the Saints WRs (and RB + TE) are very much superior. Crabtree is getting better, but on the whole, it's not a close call.
I hope Dashon wrecks him like he did Mike williams