Originally posted by GIMMEa6thSHIP:
This is off base but I was having a conversation with some friends and the 4-3 defense came up. I know Fangio's specialty is the 3-4 but what would you guys think of our front 7 as a 4-3?
OLB: Larry Grant
ILB: Patrick Willis
OLB: NaVarro Bowman
DE: Aldon Smith
DT: Ray McDonald
NT: Isaac Sopoaga
DE: Justin Smith
You have taken a lot of ish for this thread, but I can get on board with this.
Why? Well, let's take a look... at least take a look...
(1) I feel that we will be unable to re-sign Ahmad Brooks... and then, we have no quality rush LBs other than Aldon.
(2) I love what I see from Larry Grant and think he can be a good starter. So we have three LBs that I feel should be on the field... but none are 3-4 rushers. I have seen on multiple sites that he is also a RFA, which would mean he is easier to retain.
(3) We have all seen how good Aldon Smith has been with his hand in the dirt. He would be a better DE than OLB, IMHO.
(4) We can have a creative rotation of DL, depending on the strength of the opposition. RayMac can play well at LDE or DT. Sopoaga can be featured more when we need more bulk for power rush opponents. Justin has shown amazing play inside vs interior OL.
(5) Always felt that Willis can be MORE amazing with a 4 man DL protecting him.
(6) Bowman will thrive with that protection as well and excel at WLB.
(7) We have better 4-3 DE options in the draft vs 3-4 OLBs. We can add someone early on to make sure we have the DE positions covered, and don't sleep on Demarcus Dobbs either... an option that would better thrive at LDE.
(8) We can also flirt with moving our LBs around... I think Bowman and Willis could play in or out.. and maybe Grant is best inside...
Hate if you want, and it probably won't happen.. but I kinda like it.