LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

2012 NFC Divisional Game vs. New Orleans Saints Gameday Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
isnt their run game 6th in the league?

I don't see their RB's doing much in the run game, but the passing game could be a different story.

I'm just glad we're playing this game at a "sold out" candlestick. I just hope the majority of the fans are Niner fans and not Saint fans. Maybe we need to watch some tape on the Seahawk/Saints game in the first round last year.

I doubt saints fans travel well, and there are none out here anyway. Since this is a playoff game, it will be almost all niner fans.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
We just can't make any dumb mistakes....like personal fouls and PI calls. That just makes it to easy for the Saints.
Holy s**t I'm excited
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
isnt their run game 6th in the league?

I don't see their RB's doing much in the run game, but the passing game could be a different story.

I'm just glad we're playing this game at a "sold out" candlestick. I just hope the majority of the fans are Niner fans and not Saint fans. Maybe we need to watch some tape on the Seahawk/Saints game in the first round last year.
we HAVE to get pressure with 4. pierre thomas is a really good rb and they will use him a lot. i see a lot of stunts and bowman covering him and the other RBs out of the backfield. for all the passing they do they are pretty balanced and it will be sooo important to tackll and wrap up.
Watching the Saints vs Lions game reminded me how horrible the Lions D really is. Saints pretty much ran the ball at will and there were way too many busted coverages making it a cake walk for Brees and company. It was missed tackles GALORE on behalf of the lions D which will more than likely not be the case against the 49ers D. Granted Brees will get his yards, but as long as the secondary keeps everything in front of them paired with the offense controlling the time of possession and taking advantage of their scoring opportunities, I like the 49ers chances even if they are the underdogs.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
History lesson for us all: Prior to the 1980s, football was about being BIG, BAD, and STRONG -- WILLING your way to victory through attrition. "SMASHMOUTH" is what they called it. But here came Bill Walsh and the San Francisco 49ers. It was called the "West Coast Offense", short passes and precise, strategic football that made the smashmouth style obsolete, revolutionizing the game.

Today, you see Drew Brees and Matthew Stafford throw for 5,000 yards and 40+ touchdowns in a season -- a "PASSING LEAGUE" is what they call it. And where are the 49ers? Doing the opposite once again, defying conventional football with defense, special teams, and well-timed running.

In the 1980s the 49ers defied the norm and succeeded. It is the year 2012, and I am confident that 49er football has come full circle. I respect the Saints and I don't mean to demean what they are doing. But real tradition resides in San Francisco. Countering the norm is simply what we do, not giving a damn about what's in our way.

You see....beyond being a 49er fan because of SF roots.....THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS TEAM SO MUCH!!!!

It is a reflection of my personality to go against the grain and apparently the 49er way as well.

I would love to see some dominant offensive play but not without reducing what we already do well in rushing, and without losing defense and special teams ability.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
early line from Vegas: SF +3 +105, o/u 47
Most abs get passing yards on us because they can't run......see McCoy what 11 yards and many other rbs. So I know Bree's will get 300 yards but so did a few other qbs but we got turnovers bc our d is sick. I think if we get 3 or 4 sacks a fumble and 1 int we win
We gave up 11 ppg at home this season.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
We're only underdogs because we're facing Brees. He passed for the most yards in the NFL this season. Their scoring 30+ points almost everygame. But have they faced a top 5 defense this season? No. I have faith that our defense will limit their points but will the offense score enough.

#1 49ers will get 4 to 5 sacks, plus 4 to 5 more legal hits, and 10 to 11 QB hurries on Brees.

#2 49ers make tackles when they hit the Saints, unlike the Lions, plus 49ers Defense makes 2 fumble recoveries

#3. 49ers DB's will catch the ball, 3 Brees interceptions.

#4 49ers run for 175 yards, control the clock, saints offense gets cold sitting on the bench, SF 40 mins. NO 20 mins.

#5. Footing??? saints timing, rushing, cutting, even blocking on the Candleslick Grass will be a mess.

#6. Wind??? Brees passing and timing gets to deal with the swirling Candlestick wind.

#8. 49ers win field pocession game, and Special Team play.

#9 Final Score. SF 33 - NO 17.

Aloha
[ Edited by Maui9er on Jan 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM ]
I don't think we're gonna stunt too much in this game. Remember Brees is like 5'11". He uses passing lanes his O-line opens up to get the ball to his receivers. We will not only need to get pressure on him, but we're gonna have to close those lanes as well. Stunting will just open up those passing lanes easy.
Originally posted by Maui9er:
#1 49ers will get 4 to 5 sacks, plus 4 to 5 more legal hits, and 10 to 11 QB hurries on Brees.

#2 49ers make tackles when they hit the Saints, unlike the Lions, plus 49ers Defense makes 2 fumble recoveries

#3. 49ers DB's will catch the ball, 3 Brees interceptions.

#4 49ers run for 175 yards, control the clock, saints offense gets cold sitting on the bench, SF 40 mins. NO 20 mins.

#5. Footing??? saints timing, rushing, cutting, even blocking on the Candleslick Grass will be a mess.

#6. Wind??? Brees passing and timing gets to deal with the swirling Candlestick wind.

#8. 49ers win field pocession game, and Special Team play.

#9 Final Score. SF 33 - NO 17.

Aloha

Aloha mr hand......spicoli says 30 to 24 niners
CUT EM UP, CUT EM UP, CUT EM UP!!!!!!
No matter how good the 49ers defense have been, they have given up yards to the leagues top QBs; Romo 345, Vick 416, Stafford 293, Manning 311, Roethlisberger 330.

I think Brees will get 325+ yds and Graham maybe 75 and a TD. New Orleans will score at least 20 pts because they will not be playing at home.

So I hope the 49ers win 24-20! They have to force at least 2 TOs and score on one of them.

Hopefully Aldon and Brooks have a big day with big hits and pressure.
Share 49ersWebzone