LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Playoff matchups that scare me

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The niners are the best in the league at stopping the run but our competition in the NFC ( packers and saints) dominate through the air not the ground.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Once more, I don't get it that some of you keep saying we have the #1 D.. The Niners are 4th over all, with the #1 run D..of course still pretty damn good!
stiller - 1
texasans -2
ravons- 3
then us.........

As long as we get that bye, we have a fighting chance @ home. However as others have said; if NO or any other team goes up 14 and our "offense" has to play catchup, I don't think that will be pretty, unless JH has the biggest surprises ever that he and Roman have been holding back..who knows..

Crush the Lambs!!!!!!

Who leads the league in fewest points allowed? that is the only stat that matters

Why your San Fransisco 49ers do!
Still our pass D is 17th, so if it's NO or Lions the Niners had better bring the heat big time so the backside doesn't get exposed..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Dec 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM ]
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The niners are the best in the league at stopping the run but our competition in the NFC ( packers and saints) dominate through the air not the ground.

Super important point..
Fangio and JH have got to be thinking about blitz packages in their dreams. I think Aldon plays most of the snaps in any game with these passing teams..
Once more, I don't get it that some of you keep saying we have the #1 D.. The Niners are 4th over all, with the #1 run D..of course still pretty damn good!
stiller - 1
texasans -2
ravons- 3
then us.........

As long as we get that bye, we have a fighting chance @ home. However as others have said; if NO or any other team goes up 14 and our "offense" has to play catchup, I don't think that will be pretty, unless JH has the biggest surprises ever that he and Roman have been holding back..who knows..

Crush the Lambs!!!!!!

i understand the basic interpretation of a statistic that "experts" calculate and present. and stats can be taken any way you want to, but the overall defense ranking is based mainly on yards allowed both run and pass. the bend dont break mentality changes the value of this as a whole along with teams trying to play catch up. we have the number one run defense but our passing defense is 17th. averaging the total number of yards puts us at 4th best in the league based on those 2 statistics.

however, our average pass defense numbers(17th) show that we give up alot of passing numbers, but that is out weighed by our number one scoring defense. sure teams put up decent passing numbers against this d, but they dont score points. number one in the redzone, number one in turnovers, and the least amount scored against. that is what makes us number one, and if they had the rankings based on all of that it would be gaudy to know the separation of the second place defense.

total defense makes us number one, not some number or ranking that some "experts" calculated and determined
Originally posted by nflguy49:

never really thought about that .................damn
The Saints, and that's it.
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
how do you think they all feel playing against us?

Our offense is scary ,and if Smith and Gore have great games, it's ACADEMIC
WE FRIGGKIN WIN

Our O is NOT scary dude...sorry. Our O line is not very good, our WR's are below average and QB is good while not asked to do too much. That leave Gore and VD and as our big threats. Not scary at all. The O gameplan has to be solid.
What wide receivers?? They are all injured except for Crabs! Brutal man..who knows maybe Hastings and Swain will do something. here's to hoping Ginn and Williams are 100% when the time comes to suit up for the playoffs..

I thinks, we have problem the thins of wide receivers because they seem scare them from ravens's defense tough. The playoff are tough and serious plays game! they don't want hurt it. ... And Alex is big problem that he can't threw the TD from 5 to 12 yards.. ... I need Alex must practice how throw the td to 5 to 12 yards!! He must practice and study it much!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Dec 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM ]
I hope he studies up good Buzz, NEVER STOP POSTING!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The Saints, and that's it.

I'm most worried about Jimmy Graham. I think that's just a tough match-up.

Also, for those talking about our pass defense, we aren't exactly bad. You look at the total yardage and we're ranked 17th, but it's largely because we're tenth overall in opponents pass attempts. The 49ers pass defense is ranked in the top ten in almost every major statistical category... completion percentage, average per attempt, interceptions, sacks, and most importantly, touchdowns.

The biggest problem is they've given up way too many long passes. They are ranked towards the bottom of the league in pass plays over 40 yards. Amusingly, they are ranked top ten in plays over 20 yards.
NO in the superdome is pretty much an auto loss in my book.

Personally, I'd prefer the toughest road possible.

Saints @ 49ers

49ers @ Packers

49ers vs. Patriots.

Seriously, its the most fitting road for this team (and in all honesty, probably the most realistic.)
49ers have been doubted all year long, and noone wants to give us any credit. Even if we have 12 wins, people still say we cant hang with these "good" cough* cough* 1 dimensional teams. If we win these 3 games, we would be hailed as the most unprecedented team to win a superbowl. The media would have a Tebow-esqe obsession about how Alex Smith was on the team that took out Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady in the post season during the best seasons of their careers, and how we absolutely exposed all of their soft defenses. It would really just put a cap on the type of season we had. "Succeeding when noone thought we could" or even "Succeeding when noone wanted us to"

This is of course, fantasizing. But the tougher the road, the better. Thats what this team is about.

"A harsh reality of newspaper editing is that the deadlines don't allow for the polish that you expect in books or even magazines"
- Bill Walsh

Im so excited for the playoffs.
IMO

with Ginn back we are unstoppable.

Last year, we got behind on a TON of games. I'm talking like 3 td's behind ala the Eagles game.

Smithers would use the shotgun hurry up and we came within 3 points most of the time. That is scary

Scary because we are versatile and are maxed out in all aspects of the game:

SPECIAL TEAMS - GINN, NEDNEY , LEE

DEFENSE- NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET

OFFENSE- OLINE PLAYING GREAT, NT'S FOR FB'S,VERNON , CRABS GORE, HUNTER,
RUN GAME IS TOUGH, AND OUR SPREAD HURRY UP IS LEGIT.It's our regular game time playing it safe offense that lags.
Niners passing offense is ranked 30th in the NFL. The only people scared of the SF offense are niners fans.
the only team i am scared of are the REF i hope they dont try to screw us over
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
stiller - 1
texasans -2
ravons- 3
then us.........

Crush the Lambs!!!!!!

Who leads the league in fewest points allowed? that is the only stat that matters

Why your San Fransisco 49ers do!
Still our pass D is 17th, so if it's NO or Lions the Niners had better bring the heat big time so the backside doesn't get exposed..

this...totally agree
Share 49ersWebzone