There are 44 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Playoff matchups that scare me

Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
This 49ers team is better then the SEA team that beat them in SEA last year, isn't it? I think so, so if we can get that bye and play the Saints in SFO, I like our chances.

I agree 100% that our team is better then the SEA team that beat NO last year in the playoffs... only thing I don't agree with you on is this years NO's team is playing MUCH better then last years playoff team. They were banged up last year and Brees wasn't as hot as he is right now (scary thing is he may have never been as hot as he is right now.) Now, that being said, I believe the last time we played them IN N.O., they beat us on a last second drive/FG. I believe our team has improved more from our team then then their team has improved since then... does that make sense to anyone??? Basically IF they have to come to San Fran to play us, I hope it windy and raining... IF we have to go there, I hope we play our A$$e$ off!!
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
I agree 100% that our team is better then the SEA team that beat NO last year in the playoffs... only thing I don't agree with you on is this years NO's team is playing MUCH better then last years playoff team. They were banged up last year and Brees wasn't as hot as he is right now (scary thing is he may have never been as hot as he is right now.) Now, that being said, I believe the last time we played them IN N.O., they beat us on a last second drive/FG. I believe our team has improved more from our team then then their team has improved since then... does that make sense to anyone??? Basically IF they have to come to San Fran to play us, I hope it windy and raining... IF we have to go there, I hope we play our A$$e$ off!!

Actually the last time they played it was at the stick and they won by 3. The times before were in the dome and it was a blow out. So you definitely do not want to play them there.
T saints are in great shape for the playoffs. They have No injuries and are hitting on all cylinders on offense. I think our d can slow them down but that game will come down to turnovers and if we can score in the redzone.
It's gonna be a great playoffs.

Some thing to keep in mind, my worrying friends:

For all the mistakes the 49ers make, they have won lots of games. We close games this year, we have had a few comebacks, and no last minute mistakes except Dallas (and that was week 2).

The character of the team is what impresses me the most, it is far more mature than you would expect it to be.

All I want right now is for an injury and drama free win over the Rams this Sunday and we can start watching tape on the Saints. The way it looks, ATL or DET at the dome is most likely gonna lose. If either team pulls an upset then we prepare for them with the same amount of time we normally do.

Two weeks of prep against the Saints, more time for rest, Harbaugh's hidden playbook, and a violent hunger to smash the Saints at the stick....can't wait!!!!
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 624
Home field for the first round is HUGE! We have to take care of business this week. No team really scares me... if we have to go on the road to NO that's my biggest concern.

The NFC is tough, and any team can win, but I think the 9ers are best suited to beat the Pack and Saints. Best DEF, great running game, an offense that takes care of the ball and controls the game and a ST that does it all.
Not scared of Detroit one bit. They come out here and they're gonna get thumped. Gym Shorts might need some tissues.

Saints on the other hand........ not scared but it will be tough. They're slower on grass so that's good at least.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Dec 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
1) We already beat Detroit before when they were "hot", in their house no less. It stands to reason that we can do it again at home.

2) New Orleans is a very good team but I think our defense is good enough to hang with anybody. We're #1 in the NFL for a reason.


agree with you and New Orleans get them out of the Dome and they play like average team , nothing speical thats why we need to win next game !
No matchup scares me. The niners can hang with and beat anyone.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,339
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by BobS:
The only thing that makes me nervous is a bad weather game in Lambeau field.

Bad weather at Lambeau? Advantage Forty Niners.

Everything I have read says all NFL players hate playing in the cold. The pain of all the contact is greatly magnified, players that have experience dealing with it are at an advantage. We are a young team, I fear some guys could become unraveled, especially Alex Smith.
The Lions are better now than they were when we first played them. Stafford has caught fire, they have a better running game with Kevin Smith (oddly enough) and have a season of film to study. Plus, we'd probably be without Delanie Walker, who was very instrumental in that win even without his 4th down catch. That would be a tougher matchup than we think.
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by BobS:
The only thing that makes me nervous is a bad weather game in Lambeau field.

Bad weather at Lambeau? Advantage Forty Niners.

Everything I have read says all NFL players hate playing in the cold. The pain of all the contact is greatly magnified, players that have experience dealing with it are at an advantage. We are a young team, I fear some guys could become unraveled, especially Alex Smith.

No doubt cold magnifies contact. But clearly that would benefit a team like the Niners, who are used to the punishment. Difficult to say the Packers are a physical team.

At the end of the day, the Packers' style is not better in bad weather. At best, it remains the same. Conversely, the Niners' style of ball is absolutely better in bad weather. Simply, the Niners are not worse off.
im an idiot and am having a brain fart. if we get the 2 seed and get a bye and win our first playoffgame...do we get home field in nfc championship if the pacs loose their playoff game?
What people don't get is, there's a good chance we might not even be facing the Saints or the Packers in the playoffs. -Nothing has been a 'sure' thing these past 5 years; teams like the Giants (who have proven in the past) and Lions could get f**king dangerous in the post-season.
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
im an idiot and am having a brain fart. if we get the 2 seed and get a bye and win our first playoffgame...do we get home field in nfc championship if the pacs loose their playoff game?

Yes, if GB loses and we're still around for the NFC Championship we host by default (because we're the last remaining 'highest' seed).
I wouldnt mind the saints.... I think that team more than any other would bring out the best in the niners. The niners got embarassed by that defense in preseason, while our D kept them pretty much in check for the limited time the first teamers were in there. This team responds to when they feel theyve been disrespected, the O-line will be breathing fire and want revenge for the suicide blitzes from preseason.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home