There are 244 users in the forums

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

After rewatching all the games all year on NFL Rewind I've come to the conclusion we kill ourselves in the Red Zone as much as anything. Sometimes it's 3 runs up the middle and just kick the field goal. Sometimes it's 3rd and goal from the 9 yard line and we run up the middle. Not even 1 pass. Not even 1 shot on 3rd down to try to throw it in there even if it's incomplete. You could always kick after the incompletion on 3rd down. It's like we don't even try. We "SETTLE" for FG's. And rely on our defense and special teams. This has been a somewhat successful formula this year obviously. But IMO you have to at least TRY for TD's in the playoffs if you hope to advance. Especially against top tier teams.

It's frustrating watching them. I think they can do it but don't even try. You could always throw it away if it's not there. Like a forced incompletion. Alex is good at that. LOL. He won't force something that's not there anyway. With that being said why not try at all?....
f**k yeah we are, and it's frustrating as f**k
What makes you ask that?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Yeah that's my point. I get frustrated watching it. We don't even try down there. In the Seattle game too. Just "settle" for FG's. We didn't even take shots a # of times. Not even try at all.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im not sure why we are so conservative in the redzone, especially considering we have an "elite" QB it is quite baffling.
Originally posted by susweel:
Im not sure why we are so conservative in the redzone, especially considering we have an "elite" QB it is quite baffling.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yeah that's my point. I get frustrated watching it. We don't even try down there. In the Seattle game too. Just "settle" for FG's. We didn't even take shots a # of times. Not even try at all.

this, it makes me wanna knock roman and harbaugh out. we run up the middle twice and on 3rd we run a damn draw play, they better be hiding the good aggressive rz plays and show them in the playoffs because without a doubt we will be 1 and out if we continue to play not to lose.

NO
ONE
HAS
SAID
THAT.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

this, it makes me wanna knock roman and harbaugh out. we run up the middle twice and on 3rd we run a damn draw play, they better be hiding the good aggressive rz plays and show them in the playoffs because without a doubt we will be 1 and out if we continue to play not to lose.

We are currently playing scared and not to lose. I think we are done if we do that in the playoffs. Personally I'd rather go down trying in the playoffs. Even if we lose. I can live with it if we go down trying. But not trying in the playoffs will drive me crazy.
I wouldn't say conservative, but more cute than anything.

What I mean is that we basically get too fancy at times and this was my main concern about our playcalling at times before, I like his aggressiveness, and his variety of plays, but when it comes down to scoring in the redzone, we just gotta pound the ball in or run one of those simple money PA plays to Crabs or VD, we all know NOBODY we've played has yet to stop them.

Save the fancy playcalling for the drive up the field, cause once we get to the redzone the D is gonna be like "WTF are they gonna do!?", and on their toes, then we go simple like an HB Draw.

Idk, I just think we have to go back to fundamentals in the redzone, keep it simple.

Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
I wouldn't say conservative, but more cute than anything.

What I mean is that we basically get too fancy at times and this was my main concern about our playcalling at times before, I like his aggressiveness, and his variety of plays, but when it comes down to scoring in the redzone, we just gotta pound the ball in or run one of those simple money PA plays to Crabs or VD, we all know NOBODY we've played has yet to stop them.

Save the fancy playcalling for the drive up the field, cause once we get to the redzone the D is gonna be like "WTF are they gonna do!?", and on their toes, then we go simple like an HB Draw.

Idk, I just think we have to go back to fundamentals in the redzone, keep it simple.

They do also get cute and try fancy trick plays from time to time. And runs up the middle of course. Why we rarely throw to VD or Crabtree down there is beyond me. The year VD had 965 yards and 13 TD's he had plenty of throws coming his way in the endzone. So why don't we throw to him anymore? Alex has shown he can do it.

Our play calling is indicative our talent. We don't have any receivers who can get separation, and our pro-bowl QB is too conservative to force the issue.

[ Edited by Natewillis2252 on Dec 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Our play calling is indicative our talent. We don't have any receivers who can get separation, and our pro-bowl QB is too conservative to force the issue.

??????????????????????????????????????????????
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

NO
ONE
HAS
SAID
THAT.

I cant remember if it was oldman, dj, dtg or whoever, but I have read multiple times here that they would not want any other QB in the league other than Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Although that is not outright saying Alex is elite, the insinuation is that Alex is better than everyone who is a second tier QB...hence making him elite.
Share 49ersWebzone