LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 190 users in the forums

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

Fangio's defense only gave up 13.5 pts/game. Akers has been money all year. Frank Gore with the running game. Alex Smith with his careful decision making with only 5 INTs all year. Receivers that came in and out of the lineup due to injuries. First year head coach with no off season.

Yeah, all these add up to being conservative by the coaches. But I think it goes both ways. If the players executed consistently with success it would give the coaches more confident to 'open up'.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM ]
im 100% positive we will attack more in the playofffs

look at all the offfensive drives posted in this forum when we pass the red zone offense i wont say looks elite or even above average but i would definitally say average
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
If Alex would hit on 30% of his deep balls he'd be sitting at 25 to 28 tds and 4000 yards passing. He's terrible at it, doesnt even give Crabby a chance to make a play. Well he did the other day but anytime before that he hadn't. also if Veron would catch 50% of the balls he should of that number would go even higher, VD should be at 10-11 tds this season.

This is so good - He can't hit the sideline, or angle throw. He has missed Crabs so many times.....argh
Well this thread sure took a quick nose dive.
Originally posted by Fitness49:
If Alex would hit on 30% of his deep balls he'd be sitting at 25 to 28 tds and 4000 yards passing. He's terrible at it, doesnt even give Crabby a chance to make a play. Well he did the other day but anytime before that he hadn't. also if Veron would catch 50% of the balls he should of that number would go even higher, VD should be at 10-11 tds this season.

This is so good - He can't hit the sideline, or angle throw. He has missed Crabs so many times.....argh

as i said before go look at sandos article from a couple weeks back

he has the highest qb rating with passes travelling over 20 yards
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

thats cause he has like 3 traveling over 20 yds the entire season

"game manager"
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

thats cause he has like 3 traveling over 20 yds the entire season

"game manager"

41 yard pass to crabs

60 yard pass to VD (rams game i think)

long pass to walker (against dallas)

long pass to crabs (in lions game)

30 something yard pass to bruce miller

40 yard pass to VD against steelers

o top of my head
and according to sando he attempted 24 or something- 8 less than the 2nd place aaron rogers
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM ]
I believe our offense is rated Dead Last in RZ scoring this year! Thank God for Ackers. So hell yeah we are too conservative. Props to O coordinating by staying within limits of any given unit, but it's time to spread this Offense like Pamela.... Wide open, ready and willing! At least mix it up and become less predictable. Some 75% run in the RZ? Love to be fly on the wall when Jim H expresses in private what he really wishes he had to get this thing done . If you have ever coached any sport at any level you know he has an opinion on this matter that would shed some light on this thread.
As Yota would say, " settling for Fg's, we must STOP!"
Speaking of settling for FG ( aka RZ ineptitude) did you see MNF vs Pitt, 1st drive , 2nd down when #11has Williams wide open in back of end zone ??? He throws a panic pass that wasn't even near K. Williams. One crappy pass later on 3rd down , we settle for 3-0 lead . Watch # 11 ' s feet man. Scared! He chokes under extra ordinary pressure. Hence the conservative play we suffer through in RZ
Originally posted by Ninergoldrush:
Speaking of settling for FG ( aka RZ ineptitude) did you see MNF vs Pitt, 1st drive , 2nd down when #11has Williams wide open in back of end zone ??? He throws a panic pass that wasn't even near K. Williams. One crappy pass later on 3rd down , we settle for 3-0 lead . Watch # 11 ' s feet man. Scared! He chokes under extra ordinary pressure. Hence the conservative play we suffer through in RZ

Williams sat down in the endzone, right before the ball was released Williams moved. That incompletion was in Williams not on Alex Smith. Even the commentators caught what Williams did and called him on it.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOt to change if you want to win in play--offs.
Originally posted by backontop:
Williams sat down in the endzone, right before the ball was released Williams moved. That incompletion was in Williams not on Alex Smith. Even the commentators caught what Williams did and called him on it.

this and if you look where williams ended up there was a LB in front of hin so he had to floa it up to get it to him

that is never a safe thing to do -float the ball up 7 yards away
Has to change, field goals won,t do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by HarryPeterson:
Has to change, field goals won,t do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree 1,000%. Getting into the Red zone a team should score a TD 50% of the timthe time , not 10%.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I agree 1,000%. Getting into the Red zone a team should score a TD 50% of the timthe time , not 10%.

in past 2 weeks we improved 8%'

were 38% now 2 weeks ago we were 30%

its improving
Share 49ersWebzone