There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WR Joe Hastings promoted to 49ers 53-man roster

Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by JaxinSac:
so let me get this straight.. you'd rather bring in T.O...a guy who when in his prime led the league a few times in drops..a guy who's been out of football, coming off an injury..who knows nothing of the play book..so we can try and scale back the play calling further in the hopes that we can use him? as opposed to a guy who knows the play book, and has some chemistry already with our QB?

Absolutely, and it's not even close. T.O. has had an issue with drops, but a lot of them come because he is trying to turn up field and make a play before securing the catch. But it's not like there are no other WR'S on this team that drop balls - we just happen to lead the league in that category.

T.O. had more TD'S just last season, in 14 games - than ALL of our WR'S have had in 15 games this season. He still makes plays. He can get in on slants and short routes, and still be a threat with his running ability after the catch. He's a physical WR that will FIGHT for the ball on 3rd downs and in the RZ, and we certainly have needed that all season!

As far as Hastings having some chemistry with Alex - really? How much time do you think the practice squad guys get with the starting QB? I would venture a guess that Hastings spends more time simulating the oppenent's offense, than running our own.
To be fair we don't really know if Owens can play at the level he played last year, at age 38 with a bad MCL it is not likely that he would be the same as he was.
I would push to bring him in but it would be on a short leash and only to end his career on a high note. A lot of 49er fans don't want him around because of what he contributed to while he was in SF and its understandable.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Absolutely, and it's not even close. T.O. has had an issue with drops, but a lot of them come because he is trying to turn up field and make a play before securing the catch. But it's not like there are no other WR'S on this team that drop balls - we just happen to lead the league in that category.

T.O. had more TD'S just last season, in 14 games - than ALL of our WR'S have had in 15 games this season. He still makes plays. He can get in on slants and short routes, and still be a threat with his running ability after the catch. He's a physical WR that will FIGHT for the ball on 3rd downs and in the RZ, and we certainly have needed that all season!

As far as Hastings having some chemistry with Alex - really? How much time do you think the practice squad guys get with the starting QB? I would venture a guess that Hastings spends more time simulating the oppenent's offense, than running our own.

Q: Can you talk about how you've worked with the practice squad receivers?

ALEX SMITH: One of the great things this coaching staff has done is the practice squad has been more included. They're a part of the team more than any year I've ever been here. Taking reps, traveling with us, doing all the meetings – really a part of the team, so I really think their development is so much better because of that. Their ability to step up of someone goes down if they do get called up is so much better. Now looking back, it seems like such a no-brainer way of doing things. I think it's really helped us. So I have had a lot of work with those guys. If one of them gets brought up (I) feel good about it.

Q: You've thrown a lot with Joe Hastings…

ALEX SMITH: Yeah, pregame, throw a lot to Joe.

Q: Is there chemistry there?

ALEX SMITH: I feel good about Joe. Joe's a guy that works extremely hard. Obviously I had him here all through camp and when he's got his chances throughout the season just to jump into reps in practice he does it. For a quite a few weeks now pregame, to keep the other guys' legs good he and I go out early and throw quite a bit. So, feel good about Joe is that's the direction this ends up going. Feel good about him stepping up. He'll be ready.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/12/inside-the-49ers/alex-smith-on-braylon-edwards-joe-hastings-and-conservative-play-calling/

RDB obviously knows more than Alex.
Originally posted by crabman82:
they didnt even work out owens when morgan went down, several players worked, PS wr's, housh, chamber, swain, finnerain

Owens was still rehabbing from injury when Morgan went down.

good point, but something tells me he wouldnt have got an invite, since being healthy how many work outs has he got?
This guy better contribute big, knowing they could of had a chance with Terrell Owens but expected to sign him instead.
he will play

the reason? it's the rams
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

Q: Can you talk about how you've worked with the practice squad receivers?

ALEX SMITH: One of the great things this coaching staff has done is the practice squad has been more included. They're a part of the team more than any year I've ever been here. Taking reps, traveling with us, doing all the meetings – really a part of the team, so I really think their development is so much better because of that. Their ability to step up of someone goes down if they do get called up is so much better. Now looking back, it seems like such a no-brainer way of doing things. I think it's really helped us. So I have had a lot of work with those guys. If one of them gets brought up (I) feel good about it.

Q: You've thrown a lot with Joe Hastings…

ALEX SMITH: Yeah, pregame, throw a lot to Joe.

Q: Is there chemistry there?

ALEX SMITH: I feel good about Joe. Joe's a guy that works extremely hard. Obviously I had him here all through camp and when he's got his chances throughout the season just to jump into reps in practice he does it. For a quite a few weeks now pregame, to keep the other guys' legs good he and I go out early and throw quite a bit. So, feel good about Joe is that's the direction this ends up going. Feel good about him stepping up. He'll be ready.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/12/inside-the-49ers/alex-smith-on-braylon-edwards-joe-hastings-and-conservative-play-calling/

pwnr.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by susweel:
20catches for 250 yards and 4 Tds

and that is just for the first quarter.

I didnt know Tolzien is playing....

Tolzien to Hastings will be more prolific than Montana/Young to Rice

#bookit

That's it I'm buying their jerseys ASAP.
so let me get this straight.. you'd rather bring in T.O...a guy who when in his prime led the league a few times in drops..a guy who's been out of football, coming off an injury..who knows nothing of the play book..so we can try and scale back the play calling further in the hopes that we can use him? as opposed to a guy who knows the play book, and has some chemistry already with our QB?

bold part was my fav, so cus we have enough wr's/te's dropping balls its ok to add another? if anything with the guys we already have we should be looking for the sure handed wr, not the guy who will blend in with the other inconsistent pass catchers on the team
Lol Washburn University's called the Ichabods
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
JOE HASTINGS!

Let That Boy Cook!!

I'm going to buy a #3 jersey, and on the back, it will read "championship" in honor of the great Tolzien.
Is he the first Washburn player to make the NFL ?

The problem here is that you're basing all of this on NOTHING but your own speculation. You say he can do all of these things. When did you last see him do those things? Before he had a huge injury that takes a long time for young players to get over? The dude is getting up there in years, he just had a major injury, he hasn't played football all year long, has no knowledge of the playbook and we're about to go in the playoffs. stop acting like you know better than the coaches. All of their moves this season have been good to great and they're not going to do something to hurt this team at this point.

If Owens was still as good as you try to make him out to be, he would be on a team already.
I'm just going to trust JH on this one. If it was earlier in the season I wouldnt mind putting him in to see what he's got, but being this close to the playoffs I would have liked to see a proven WR. Then again, sounds like he's been getting a lot of work within our system and chemistry with Alex so maybe it does make the most sense.

In JH we trust
What is there to debate? At this point of the season u cannot bring a outsider in and expect him to be in football shape ???? Some of u guys think this is a video game end this thread didn't GB promote James Starks to the squad after they were ravage by injuris to there RB's during last year super bowl run ?