LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

WR Joe Hastings promoted to 49ers 53-man roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After watching highlights on him on youtube, I agree with what a few other people have said. Looks like he's not necessarily fast unless it's striaght line speed but the dude can catch. He makes some insane grabs and that's something i'll happily welcome to this team.

He knows the playbook so there won't be any week off learning it or using a minimal amount of plays because he's still new. He has the chemistry with Smith from what I hear, he's constantly playing catch and stuff with Smith. I think it's been proven that this front office knows what they're dong. If they feel this will be a good fit, i'm all for it.
Originally posted by boast:
is it me or does the name Joe Hastings just sound like a wide receiver's name?

Something familiar there "but what is in a name...?" He'll need to produce to keep his roster spot.
Originally posted by boast:
is it me or does the name Joe Hastings just sound like a wide receiver's name?

Sounds like a name destined for the HOF to me...
Since under zero catches isn't possible I'm going with option A...and I do believe he will be more productive for us than Edwards has been, he didn't exactly set the bar real high.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
20catches for 250 yards and 4 Tds
Originally posted by susweel:

and that is just for the first quarter.

Originally posted by JaxinSac:
so let me get this straight.. you'd rather bring in T.O...a guy who when in his prime led the league a few times in drops..a guy who's been out of football, coming off an injury..who knows nothing of the play book..so we can try and scale back the play calling further in the hopes that we can use him? as opposed to a guy who knows the play book, and has some chemistry already with our QB?

Absolutely, and it's not even close. T.O. has had an issue with drops, but a lot of them come because he is trying to turn up field and make a play before securing the catch. But it's not like there are no other WR'S on this team that drop balls - we just happen to lead the league in that category.

T.O. had more TD'S just last season, in 14 games - than ALL of our WR'S have had in 15 games this season. He still makes plays. He can get in on slants and short routes, and still be a threat with his running ability after the catch. He's a physical WR that will FIGHT for the ball on 3rd downs and in the RZ, and we certainly have needed that all season!

As far as Hastings having some chemistry with Alex - really? How much time do you think the practice squad guys get with the starting QB? I would venture a guess that Hastings spends more time simulating the oppenent's offense, than running our own.
It's better than nothing....
Originally posted by kidash98:

the first drive of the game.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I think they know what they are doing a lot of the time, yes. But when you promote a practice squad player who has done nothing in the NFL, and don't even look at a HOF caliber player who put up better numbers than ANY of our WR'S just last year - then I think they are letting the press clippings make their decision for them.

1. Who knows if he's even healthy

2. He probably won't even know the playbook or the system to even properly contribute. Their first playoff game could be next week. Better to bring in a guy who knows the playbook.

3. The Niners don't need the media circus, and frankly neither do I.

Originally posted by RDB4216:
Absolutely, and it's not even close. T.O. has had an issue with drops, but a lot of them come because he is trying to turn up field and make a play before securing the catch. But it's not like there are no other WR'S on this team that drop balls - we just happen to lead the league in that category.

T.O. had more TD'S just last season, in 14 games - than ALL of our WR'S have had in 15 games this season. He still makes plays. He can get in on slants and short routes, and still be a threat with his running ability after the catch. He's a physical WR that will FIGHT for the ball on 3rd downs and in the RZ, and we certainly have needed that all season!

As far as Hastings having some chemistry with Alex - really? How much time do you think the practice squad guys get with the starting QB? I would venture a guess that Hastings spends more time simulating the oppenent's offense, than running our own.

Q: Can you talk about how you've worked with the practice squad receivers?

ALEX SMITH: One of the great things this coaching staff has done is the practice squad has been more included. They're a part of the team more than any year I've ever been here. Taking reps, traveling with us, doing all the meetings – really a part of the team, so I really think their development is so much better because of that. Their ability to step up of someone goes down if they do get called up is so much better. Now looking back, it seems like such a no-brainer way of doing things. I think it's really helped us. So I have had a lot of work with those guys. If one of them gets brought up (I) feel good about it.

Q: You've thrown a lot with Joe Hastings…

ALEX SMITH: Yeah, pregame, throw a lot to Joe.

Q: Is there chemistry there?

ALEX SMITH: I feel good about Joe. Joe's a guy that works extremely hard. Obviously I had him here all through camp and when he's got his chances throughout the season just to jump into reps in practice he does it. For a quite a few weeks now pregame, to keep the other guys' legs good he and I go out early and throw quite a bit. So, feel good about Joe is that's the direction this ends up going. Feel good about him stepping up. He'll be ready.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/12/inside-the-49ers/alex-smith-on-braylon-edwards-joe-hastings-and-conservative-play-calling/
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I didnt know Tolzien is playing....
Originally posted by crabman82:
they didnt even work out owens when morgan went down, several players worked, PS wr's, housh, chamber, swain, finnerain

Owens was still rehabbing from injury when Morgan went down.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by fly15:

I didnt know Tolzien is playing....

Tolzien to Hastings will be more prolific than Montana/Young to Rice

#bookit
Share 49ersWebzone