There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 16: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Your including CB's

No...I'm only counting safeties (FS and SS). If I included all positions, he'd be tied for 76th.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended
Can they franchise a 1 year FA, or is there a minim tenure requirement for franchising a player.
I think people are overlooking the fact that with these guys like Goldson playing who everybody criticizes, we have the best defense in the NFL and one of the best since the Ravens won the Superbowl in scoring defense. With that being said, we could franchise him or sign him to a deal while also drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds to see if he can compete with him. We are really only a few guys away from being the most talented team in the NFL. An O-lineman, a top reciever who can turn Crabtree into a great number 2 option, another corner as good as Rogers playing opposite him, and maybe a stud safety like Polamolu or Reed.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I think people are overlooking the fact that with these guys like Goldson playing who everybody criticizes, we have the best defense in the NFL and one of the best since the Ravens won the Superbowl in scoring defense. With that being said, we could franchise him or sign him to a deal while also drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds to see if he can compete with him. We are really only a few guys away from being the most talented team in the NFL. An O-lineman, a top reciever who can turn Crabtree into a great number 2 option, another corner as good as Rogers playing opposite him, and maybe a stud safety like Polamolu or Reed.

...and they are also in the late teens or low 20s in PASS defense.

We aren't saying they suck. We aren't saying HE sucks. We are saying he has holes in his game and I personally think they should be looking to upgrade that position.
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 46,571
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I think people are overlooking the fact that with these guys like Goldson playing who everybody criticizes, we have the best defense in the NFL and one of the best since the Ravens won the Superbowl in scoring defense. With that being said, we could franchise him or sign him to a deal while also drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds to see if he can compete with him. We are really only a few guys away from being the most talented team in the NFL. An O-lineman, a top reciever who can turn Crabtree into a great number 2 option, another corner as good as Rogers playing opposite him, and maybe a stud safety like Polamolu or Reed.
hows the after life treating you Mr.Walsh
Originally posted by vrabbit:
to your point on Grant, Willis wouldn't have missed that tackle Larry missed on Skittles' TD run

and I agree on Goldson too

You.....are correct, sir. I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching the game. Sealing off the edge is Willis' strength. I'm guessing if Willis plays in that game and he is healthy, that TD play is actually a loss of 2-3 yds.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
I think people are overlooking the fact that with these guys like Goldson playing who everybody criticizes, we have the best defense in the NFL and one of the best since the Ravens won the Superbowl in scoring defense. With that being said, we could franchise him or sign him to a deal while also drafting a guy in the top 3 rounds to see if he can compete with him. We are really only a few guys away from being the most talented team in the NFL. An O-lineman, a top reciever who can turn Crabtree into a great number 2 option, another corner as good as Rogers playing opposite him, and maybe a stud safety like Polamolu or Reed.

Agree but unfortunately, those "stud safeties" don't grow on trees.

I'm not a big Goldson fan either but there is a reason why he made the Pro Bowl. There probably just aren't many good safeties in the NFC this year. Even though I would consider him only slightly above average, he may actually be in the top 3-5 in this particular year.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I didn't see the Williams hit as being cheap. I bet next time Williams will remember he's no longer in college. Williams got crunched big time.

Man...I sure did. All the Seachickens had to do was walk over and tag him while he was on the ground. Spearing him was completely unnecessary, unjustified, undignified, unsafe, unmanly, and honestly, one of the most cowardly acts I have ever seen on a football field. That hit was the lead clip on the highlight reel of dirty plays.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I didn't see the Williams hit as being cheap. I bet next time Williams will remember he's no longer in college. Williams got crunched big time.

Man...I sure did. All the Seachickens had to do was walk over and tag him while he was on the ground. Spearing him was completely unnecessary, unjustified, undignified, unsafe, unmanly, and honestly, one of the most cowardly acts I have ever seen on a football field. That hit was the lead clip on the highlight reel of dirty plays.

Robinson was laughing after that play. Still think it wasnt a cheap shot?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Robinson was laughing after that play. Still think it wasn't a cheap shot?

I actually liked Robinson as a person when he was with the Niners and made those short videos in the locker room. Seemed like a really good guy. Just goes to show that appearances can be really deceiving.

What a sick b*****d...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I actually liked Robinson as a person when he was with the Niners and made those short videos in the locker room. Seemed like a really good guy. Just goes to show that appearances can be really deceiving.

What a sick b*****d...

Robinson is a Penn State guy. He was probably in cahoots with Sandusky too!
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I actually liked Robinson as a person when he was with the Niners and made those short videos in the locker room. Seemed like a really good guy. Just goes to show that appearances can be really deceiving.

What a sick b*****d...

Robinson is a Penn State guy. He was probably in cahoots with Sandusky too!


He's probably bitter at the SF ownership for releasing him. Still not the way you want to get your revenge though.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
No...I'm only counting safeties (FS and SS). If I included all positions, he'd be tied for 76th.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended

weird because NFL.com shows different

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&conference=null&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_PASSES_INT_DEFENSED
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yes. Goldson is the Anti-Willis. You actually seldom see Patrick just completely blow someone up. If its there, he'll do it, but what he does better than anyone I've ever seen is simply get to the ball carrier faster than any player I've ever seen and bring him down unfailingly. Guys just don't get away from Patrick.

Dashon goes for the kill shot and very often flat misses tackles.

Isn't that expected when you have an aggressive safety? Its kind of one of those high risk high reward kind of things.