LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I didn't see the Williams hit as being cheap. I bet next time Williams will remember he's no longer in college. Williams got crunched big time.
You're looking at Goldson's numbers from the wrong perspective. Goldson's got his hands on the ball 7 times this season, he has intercepted the ball 6 of those times. How could that possibly be a bad thing?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Vodka52:
After re-watching the game myself i've noticed that seattle, Tavaris Jackson in particular, was getting the ball out quickly and doing a lot of 3 step drops on drags and quick slants. Looks like we got 3 sacks on mostly when they were on shotgun. Thats the kind of offense i would like to see on our side to prevent sacks like the Ravens did to us, if we want to succeed in the playoffs. What do you guys think?

Very good eye...appreciate you rewatching the game too. As the WCO, getting the ball out quickly is a staple of it...should develop more over time esp. next year; that and RZ offense. We need the WR's for this though. Back in the day JR & JT were two of the biggest WR's in the game.
We most definitely need to address the WR problem.

What confuses me most is we have another team executing short quick hitting timing routes with worse receivers than ours. SEA just brought up a practice squad guy to start the game and has had quite a number of injuries to heir receivers. Not only that, their QB has been hurt for a few games. Yet we still can't do what they and other teams do. We keep pointing to the myth that we need better receivers or more time or more practice.

Maybe our QB is just too safe.

We killed them in total yards this game
My thoughts after re-watching this game? Simple. Same thing I've said all year. We are a mentally and physically tough team.
[ Edited by ninerluv4life on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:34 AM ]
The best bet is probably to franchise Goldson, for a few reasons:

-He is an above average FS
-It is very difficult to find good safeties in the NFL
-He will almost certainly get big money as a FA
-Another year will give us more time to accurately determine if he is worth elite money

-A FS in the 1st round has about a 50% chance of not being a bust, even if they succeed, they won't hit their peak for 3 years
-Our backups are well below average as starters

and most importantly, some of our most important players are over 30 years old (Smith, Sop, Rogers on D, Gore on O). We need to supplement that core as long as possible, even if it means overpaying Goldson for 1 year.
[ Edited by nannite on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
I didn't see the Williams hit as being cheap. I bet next time Williams will remember he's no longer in college. Williams got crunched big time.

It was cheap because he gave himself up
Originally posted by nannite:

-Another year will give us more time to accurately determine if he is worth elite money

-A FS in the 1st round has about a 50% chance of not being a bust, even if they succeed, they won't hit their peak for 3 years

and most importantly, some of our most important players are over 30 years old (Smith, Sop, Rogers on D, Gore on O). We need to supplement that core as long as possible, even if it means overpaying Goldson for 1 year.

I'd much rather franchise Rogers.

He is JUST an above average safety.
Its even harder to find good CBs
He will certainly get the big $$$$ that he isn't worth
I can tall you now he isn't worth elite money

Players at any position in the first round are busts. Its probably even higher at CB.
I'll give you the backup argument, but I'd still rather secure Rogers than Goldson.

Peeps in here love Goldson because he's a hitter. Its not the INTs. Yeah, he's got alot of them this year, but peeps have loved that guy for many years and I've just never been a big fan.

Whitner is here long term. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but if you have a guy who is more of a classic SS like Whitner, then you need to find a guy with range who can be really good in coverage. We need a center fielder.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:

It was cheap because he gave himself up

...and it was cheap because it was completely uncalled for. There was no reason to drive your helmet into him. he was on the ground on his knees. All they had to do was tag him down.
Very nice job as always, Marvin...

Certainly agree with your comments about Goldson. I noticed several times when he either missed a tackle on Lynch or took a poor angle. Ironic, since he was named to the Pro Bowl but if the Niners can find a better guy in the off-season, I say to Baalke, make the change.

I would add to your list these comments...

First, I think we saw Alex Smith take "the next step" to becoming an elite QB in this game. He was scrambling around like Tarkenton back there. I've never seen him do that to the degree he did against Seattle. Very impressive.

Equally impressive was the play and discipline of the OL....178 yards rushing and one false start penalty against a top 10 run defense and in the loudest stadium in the NFL. Great work.

Also, does anyone really think that if Willis was healthy that Lynch scores that rushing TD? Man....if Willis is playing, he runs down that play and probably throws that guy for a loss. His forte and strength is running down RBs on the edge.

A couple of other comments....

First, that hit on Kyle Williams was one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen on a football field and I've been watching NFL games for over 40 years now. Those type of hits used to be called "spearing"....or hitting a defenseless player leading with a helmet. The league should suspend both of those Seachickens (apt moniker here) for half of next season just to set an example. Williams could have seriously hurt on that "play"....perhaps even paralyzed. It made me sick to watch it.

In fact, after watching that game, I'm beginning to think that Seattle is a dirty team...not all of the players of course but certainly some. I noticed several late hits on special teams on Saturday, one of the first play of the game that led to a big scuffle and another later in the first half that occurred 3-4 seconds after the whistle. No call either time of course.

Also, the Niner WRs were being mugged way past 5 yards all day and no calls. Meanwhile, T Brown gets called an extremely questionable PI call and Costanzo gets a phantom illegal block penalty on a long punt return by Williams that cost the Niners about 50 yards of field position.

This was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen in a long time.....and the vast majority of the bad/no calls benefited Seattle.

Then...after the game, Pete Carroll had the nerve to b*tch about the officiating for 2 calls that didn't go Seattle's way....the first being a false start on his own guard that wasn't called and resulted in T Jackson being tackled on the one yard line by Rogers, and the second was an alleged push off by Crabtree on his 41 yd reception with about 3 minutes to go (replays showed he didn't push off)...

What little respect I had for Carroll went out the window in this game. His team has a bunch of cheap shot artists on it and he is a whining little baby.

Would be very interested to hear comments from Zoners who noticed what I did...

Cheers!

Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
You're looking at Goldson's numbers from the wrong perspective. Goldson's got his hands on the ball 7 times this season, he has intercepted the ball 6 of those times. How could that possibly be a bad thing?

He's teh Ssuuuxxooorrsss Safetyieiey. Worse S in the league.....

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Very nice job as always, Marvin...

Certainly agree with your comments about Goldson. I noticed several times when he either missed a tackle on Lynch or took a poor angle. Ironic, since he was named to the Pro Bowl but if the Niners can find a better guy in the off-season, I say to Baalke, make the change.

I would add to your list these comments...

First, I think we saw Alex Smith take "the next step" to becoming an elite QB in this game. He was scrambling around like Tarkenton back there. I've never seen him do that to the degree he did against Seattle. Very impressive.

Equally impressive was the play and discipline of the OL....178 yards rushing and one false start penalty against a top 10 run defense and in the loudest stadium in the NFL. Great work.

Also, does anyone really think that if Willis was healthy that Lynch scores that rushing TD? Man....if Willis is playing, he runs down that play and probably throws that guy for a loss. His forte and strength is running down RBs on the edge.

A couple of other comments....

First, that hit on Kyle Williams was one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen on a football field and I've been watching NFL games for over 40 years now. Those type of hits used to be called "spearing"....or hitting a defenseless player leading with a helmet. The league should suspend both of those Seachickens (apt moniker here) for half of next season just to set an example. Williams could have seriously hurt on that "play"....perhaps even paralyzed. It made me sick to watch it.

In fact, after watching that game, I'm beginning to think that Seattle is a dirty team...not all of the players of course but certainly some. I noticed several late hits on special teams on Saturday, one of the first play of the game that led to a big scuffle and another later in the first half that occurred 3-4 seconds after the whistle. No call either time of course.

Also, the Niner WRs were being mugged way past 5 yards all day and no calls. Meanwhile, T Brown gets called an extremely questionable PI call and Costanzo gets a phantom illegal block penalty on a long punt return by Williams that cost the Niners about 50 yards of field position.

This was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen in a long time.....and the vast majority of the bad/no calls benefited Seattle.

Then...after the game, Pete Carroll had the nerve to b*tch about the officiating for 2 calls that didn't go Seattle's way....the first being a false start on his own guard that wasn't called and resulted in T Jackson being tackled on the one yard line by Rogers, and the second was an alleged push off by Crabtree on his 41 yd reception with about 3 minutes to go (replays showed he didn't push off)...

What little respect I had for Carroll went out the window in this game. His team has a bunch of cheap shot artists on it and he is a whining little baby.

Would be very interested to hear comments from Zoners who noticed what I did...

Cheers!

Well, I never had any respect for Carroll.

Cutting and running from USC was the biggest chicken sh*t move I've ever seen. I read on the Seattle forums about how Harbaugh is classless and I just can't help but laugh at the hypocracy.

Carroll KNEW his players were getting paid. Carroll KNEW the axe was about to fall on that program. It's not a coincidense that he left the very year the sanctions came down.

Harbaugh sometimes says and does things that may rub people the wrong way, but he built Stanford of all places with some of the hardest admission standards in all of College Football into a National Power. He didn't go to Michigan where he could have built a National Champion. He came to the NFL because he knew this would be the biggest challenge. He could have taken more money to go to Miami, but chose the situation he felt was the best.

Its really comical to hear those Seahawk fans say ANYTHING about character. Glass houses man. Glass Houses.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Players at any position in the first round are busts. Its probably even higher at CB.
I'll give you the backup argument, but I'd still rather secure Rogers than Goldson.
Completely agree. Rogers has made an enormous difference in the team this year.....even without the interceptions. Very deserved Pro Bowl nomination.
Not too sure about Goldson's PB nomination though... He does have 6 INTs but he misses a lot of tackles. Frankly, I think the money that he will demand in the off-season could be better spent elsewhere...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Dec 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM ]
Well, I never had any respect for Carroll.

Cutting and running from USC was the biggest chicken sh*t move I've ever seen. I read on the Seattle forums about how Harbaugh is classless and I just can't help but laugh at the hypocracy.

Carroll KNEW his players were getting paid. Carroll KNEW the axe was about to fall on that program. It's not a coincidense that he left the very year the sanctions came down.

Harbaugh sometimes says and does things that may rub people the wrong way, but he built Stanford of all places with some of the hardest admission standards in all of College Football into a National Power. He didn't go to Michigan where he could have built a National Champion. He came to the NFL because he knew this would be the biggest challenge. He could have taken more money to go to Miami, but chose the situation he felt was the best.
Its really comical to hear those Seahawk fans say ANYTHING about character. Glass houses man. Glass Houses.
You and me both, brother... You and me both...
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Dec 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
How does he have 6 INT's if hes not making plays on the ball? He is 6th in the NFL in passes defensed for the safety position.

I mentioned tipped passes because that was used a lot by WZ's

And its something to be said when the players and coaches think he is good enough to make the PB

Where'd you get 6th? Even if you include ties I'm not sure he's 6th overall considering there are 16 guys above him in PDs.
Your including CB's
Originally posted by nannite:

Peeps in here love Goldson because he's a hitter. Its not the INTs. Yeah, he's got alot of them this year, but peeps have loved that guy for many years and I've just never been a big fan.

Whitner is here long term. I'm not a huge fan of his either, but if you have a guy who is more of a classic SS like Whitner, then you need to find a guy with range who can be really good in coverage. We need a center fielder.
This
Share 49ersWebzone