There are 172 users in the forums

Week 16: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
#1. Its actually a good sign you didn't even mention Alex Smith - LOL.
#2. The hit on Williams was cheap, but keep in mind, the Seahawks were in need of a turnover bad and I think their intent was more to jar the ball loose, not hurt Williams per se. Regardless, it was a good penalty. Hope Williams is okay.
#3. Larry Grant will be a starter somewhere else next year. Yeah, he isn't Patrick Willis, but for gosh sake who is?? The guy is damn good.
#4. My complaint with VD, besides his stone hands, is his passive running after the catch. The guys a beast, run someone over! Make defenses afraid to tackle you!
#5. Gore looks slightly better than a week ago, but come on, the burst is missing, the breaking the first tackle is missing. I LOVE GORE, and he runs tough in the pile, but he is NOT the threat he used to be. Hunter has burst, but he needs experience. I still wonder why ADixon doesn't get some carries, he is pretty nifty for a big guy. Maybe he is a liability in pass blocking in the play action passing game?

#6. SIGN MARSHAWN LYNCH -- He is a FA, and he will command a big salary. But damn, he runs hard as hell and has a burst. That guy was just never brought down by the first or even second tackler. The defense deserves credit for stopping him as they did. I'd love to see us pry him away from our division rival in FA. :)
Originally posted by HearstFan:
#2. The hit on Williams was cheap, but keep in mind, the Seahawks were in need of a turnover bad and I think their intent was more to jar the ball loose, not hurt Williams per se. Regardless, it was a good penalty. Hope Williams is okay.
#3. Larry Grant will be a starter somewhere else next year. Yeah, he isn't Patrick Willis, but for gosh sake who is?? The guy is damn good.
#4. My complaint with VD, besides his stone hands, is his passive running after the catch. The guys a beast, run someone over! Make defenses afraid to tackle you!
#5. Gore looks slightly better than a week ago, but come on, the burst is missing, the breaking the first tackle is missing. I LOVE GORE, and he runs tough in the pile, but he is NOT the threat he used to be. Hunter has burst, but he needs experience. I still wonder why ADixon doesn't get some carries, he is pretty nifty for a big guy. Maybe he is a liability in pass blocking in the play action passing game?

#6. SIGN MARSHAWN LYNCH -- He is a FA, and he will command a big salary. But damn, he runs hard as hell and has a burst. That guy was just never brought down by the first or even second tackler. The defense deserves credit for stopping him as they did. I'd love to see us pry him away from our division rival in FA. :)

wont happen, for many reason but the main one is he wont hit the open market, long term deal or franchise tag for him
Originally posted by HearstFan:

1) Agree

2) I don't care why they hit Williams. It was a cheap shot.

3) Granted. I'm just saying that even tho Grant has played well, Patricks absense is noticable. Its really more of a statement about WIllis than about Grant.

4) Agree. He wants to think he's this great athletically gifted player (which he is), but he's just not all that fluid an athlete. You aren't going to make people miss. Please just run them the hell over.

5) I didn't say the burst was back. I said he's looking BETTER. small steps man, small steps.

6) I have to confess I thought of that as well, but I don't think it'll happen.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Agree

2) I don't care why they hit Williams. It was a cheap shot.

3) Granted. I'm just saying that even tho Grant has played well, Patricks absense is noticable. Its really more of a statement about WIllis than about Grant.

4) Agree. He wants to think he's this great athletically gifted player (which he is), but he's just not all that fluid an athlete. You aren't going to make people miss. Please just run them the hell over.

5) I didn't say the burst was back. I said he's looking BETTER. small steps man, small steps.

6) I have to confess I thought of that as well, but I don't think it'll happen.

6- Or at least drive the price up on Seattle...eitherway, it's a win.
I'm really proud of Brooks. You can bet your booty,coach will find a place for him.
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by susweel:
I actually enjoy and look forward to your game after thoughts thread.

This

Great job. Like reading these after each game.
After re-watching the game myself i've noticed that seattle, Tavaris Jackson in particular, was getting the ball out quickly and doing a lot of 3 step drops on drags and quick slants. Looks like we got 3 sacks on mostly when they were on shotgun. Thats the kind of offense i would like to see on our side to prevent sacks like the Ravens did to us, if we want to succeed in the playoffs. What do you guys think?
[ Edited by Vodka52 on Dec 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Vodka52:
After re-watching the game myself i've noticed that seattle, Tavaris Jackson in particular, was getting the ball out quickly and doing a lot of 3 step drops on drags and quick slants. Looks like we got 3 sacks on mostly when they were on shotgun. Thats the kind of offense i would like to see on our side to prevent sacks like the Ravens did to us, if we want to succeed in the playoffs. What do you guys think?

Very good eye...appreciate you rewatching the game too. As the WCO, getting the ball out quickly is a staple of it...should develop more over time esp. next year; that and RZ offense. We need the WR's for this though. Back in the day JR & JT were two of the biggest WR's in the game.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Very good eye...appreciate you rewatching the game too. As the WCO, getting the ball out quickly is a staple of it...should develop more over time esp. next year; that and RZ offense. We need the WR's for this though. Back in the day JR & JT were two of the biggest WR's in the game.
We most definitely need to address the WR problem.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I really think Goldson's picks have been a result of lucky errant throws rather than actually being great in coverage. Rogers undercuts routes and gets his INTs in coverage. Goldson is just kind of in the right place at the right time when a really bad throw is made. Even his Big Ben pick was off of an errant pass - granted he did alright to shadow the TE, but if Ben is healthy, that's a coverage breakdown on the reception.

I have to disagree. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Goldson's lack of passes defensed combined with his high number of interceptions reflects an aggressive playing style. He would rather go for the ball than take the safer route by going for the player. When you go for the player, he likely gets fewer yards but retains possession. When you go for the ball, you tend to end up with both a lot of interceptions and a lot of missed tackles resulting in big gains for the other team.

Basically, Goldson is aggressive. That is both good and bad.

Personally, I think he should be franchised. I'm willing to risk giving up the big play on occasion in exchange for the high number of turnovers; but many of you, I am sure, would disagree with that.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Dec 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM ]

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by susweel:
I actually enjoy and look forward to your game after thoughts thread.

Same here! Thanks for taking the time to write them up man much appreciated

same here!!
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I really think Goldson's picks have been a result of lucky errant throws rather than actually being great in coverage. Rogers undercuts routes and gets his INTs in coverage. Goldson is just kind of in the right place at the right time when a really bad throw is made. Even his Big Ben pick was off of an errant pass - granted he did alright to shadow the TE, but if Ben is healthy, that's a coverage breakdown on the reception.

I have to disagree. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Goldson's lack of passes defensed combined with his high number of interceptions reflects an aggressive playing style. He would rather go for the ball than take the safer route by going for the player. When you go for the player, he likely gets fewer yards but retains possession. When you go for the ball, you tend to end up with both a lot of interceptions and a lot of missed tackles resulting in big gains for the other team.

Basically, Goldson is aggressive. That is both good and bad.

Personally, I think he should be franchised. I'm willing to risk giving up the big play on occasion in exchange for the high number of turnovers; but many of you, I am sure, would disagree with that.

he did that (or tried) against Fitzgerald 2 weeks ago. Didnt work so good
Originally posted by mannydawson:
Two things I realized after skimming through this post: 1) Didn't read 2) There are some serious helmets in webzone.
That's all. Have a good day.

Very nice, Marvin, as always, much appreciated!
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by NCommand:

We most definitely need to address the WR problem.

What confuses me most is we have another team executing short quick hitting timing routes with worse receivers than ours. SEA just brought up a practice squad guy to start the game and has had quite a number of injuries to heir receivers. Not only that, their QB has been hurt for a few games. Yet we still can't do what they and other teams do. We keep pointing to the myth that we need better receivers or more time or more practice.

Maybe our QB is just too safe.
Share 49ersWebzone