There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Question about trying to always win the game....

lol you guys hate but i thought this was a fun scenario to think about.

I think we take the kick
Originally posted by Janitor:
You have the best kicker in the entire NFL....

or over used
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
There is no possible outcome or scenario to justify taking just a tie. I don't care if we win and st Louis gets 10 Andrew licks, 10 aldon smiths and 10 Justin blackmons. Can't play today's game scared of what next year might bring. If you think like that then every team in the nfl can a game to lose ir whatever EVERY year.We play 16 games for a reason. If NO loses and we get to pull some starters to rest I'm ok with that, but I still want to be competitive. But if any of your crazy scenarios pop up, i expect the 49ers to play like winners. I'm expecting lamb chops on Sunday. Mama don't disappoint

I'm not talking about the effect of the game on STL's pick. I'm talking about the effect of the game on our playoff seeding.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
There is no possible outcome or scenario to justify taking just a tie. I don't care if we win and st Louis gets 10 Andrew licks, 10 aldon smiths and 10 Justin blackmons. Can't play today's game scared of what next year might bring. If you think like that then every team in the nfl can a game to lose ir whatever EVERY year.We play 16 games for a reason. If NO loses and we get to pull some starters to rest I'm ok with that, but I still want to be competitive. But if any of your crazy scenarios pop up, i expect the 49ers to play like winners. I'm expecting lamb chops on Sunday. Mama don't disappoint

I'm not talking about the effect of the game on STL's pick. I'm talking about the effect of the game on our playoff seeding.

Yes I was referring to your other thread about throwing the game so they don't get #1. And my point being, under ANY scenario, I would want them to play like winners play.
Originally posted by crabman82:
wow talk about over analysis

+1. this is alot of Ifs. how often do teams tie, and ur saying the 2 teams fighting for the bye might magically Tie.. And i doubt a Drew Brees in OT is gonna end in a tied game.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
+1. this is alot of Ifs. how often do teams tie, and ur saying the 2 teams fighting for the bye might magically Tie.. And i doubt a Drew Brees in OT is gonna end in a tied game.

It's a hypothetical. If a win or tie secures a higher playoff seed than a loss, why in the hell would you sling the ball all over the field at the end of OT to try and win the game and heavily risk an INT/loss
If it was another team other then the rams I would say going for the tie isn't a bad idea, but being that this is the rams we're playing you gotta go for it because regardless of your seeding the the playoffs you want your team going into the playoffs with the correct mentality that they are winners, not just good enough to tie one of the worst teams in the nfl. Logiclly you want your going into the playoffs on a streak, knowing we are winners and no matter who we play or what the circumstances are we are going to fight to the last whistle.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
+1. this is alot of Ifs. how often do teams tie, and ur saying the 2 teams fighting for the bye might magically Tie.. And i doubt a Drew Brees in OT is gonna end in a tied game.

It's a hypothetical. If a win or tie secures a higher playoff seed than a loss, why in the hell would you sling the ball all over the field at the end of OT to try and win the game and heavily risk an INT/loss

Hypothetically, Alex smith tears a knee ligament on your kneel down scenario was it worth a tie?

Also why play overtime if you don't want to win? Seriously, both teams to play hard 14+ mins to just kneel and tie
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Hypothetically, Alex smith tears a knee ligament on your kneel down scenario was it worth a tie?

Also why play overtime if you don't want to win? Seriously, both teams to play hard 14+ mins to just kneel and tie

Yes because Alex Smith tearing a knee ligament on the kneel down is just as likely as throwing an interception when slinging the ball all over the field in a 2 minute drill trying desperately to move down the field. You got me there.
Id call a fake FG.


Oh and YOU PLAY TO WIN THE WIN GAME
Originally posted by valrod33:
Id call a fake FG.


Oh and YOU PLAY TO WIN THE WIN GAME

So let me get this straight...you're saying you'd rather sling the ball all over the field to get into field goal range and risk an INT and thus gaining the 3 seed, vs. taking a knee and ensuring the 2 seed. I just don't get your guys' thought process. The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl and trying to win the game in that scenario lessens those chances.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Id call a fake FG.


Oh and YOU PLAY TO WIN THE WIN GAME

So let me get this straight...you're saying you'd rather sling the ball all over the field to get into field goal range and risk an INT and thus gaining the 3 seed, vs. taking a knee and ensuring the 2 seed. I just don't get your guys' thought process. The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl and trying to win the game in that scenario lessens those chances.

Quit changing the scenario. In the op you say we are already in field goal range. Attempt the fg.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Quit changing the scenario. In the op you say we are already in field goal range. Attempt the fg.

Since the 3rd page we were discussing a different scenario. Answer that one lol. But for the record, I still disagree about the field goal one.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Hypothetically, Alex smith tears a knee ligament on your kneel down scenario was it worth a tie?

Also why play overtime if you don't want to win? Seriously, both teams to play hard 14+ mins to just kneel and tie

Yes because Alex Smith tearing a knee ligament on the kneel down is just as likely as throwing an interception when slinging the ball all over the field in a 2 minute drill trying desperately to move down the field. You got me there.

Well it hold as much weight as to smith slinging it and getting a int
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
We go for the win, just like you would any other game. You don't give the Lambs an opportunity to feel confident they can beat us in OT. We go into this game to win, period. No matter the circumstances.

So you'd rather have a 99% chance of getting the 2 seed, a bye, and hosting New Orleans and a 1% chance of getting the 3 seed, no bye, and playing IN New Orleans vs. the sure thing slam dunk 100% chance of the 2 seed?? Can you IMAGINE the backlash if we only needed to tie and we kicked a FG as time was expiring in OT that was blocked and returned for 6?
I understand the hypothetical question but no team would ever kneel it when they have an opportunity to win the game with a kick, espesially on the Lambs 20 yd line. Maybe if you would have said we were out of field goal range and the Lambs had time to go down the field for their own FG attempt, then maybe we kneel it.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home