There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL.com: 49ers have best personnel to use blueprint to beat GB

In a copycat league, coaches are not afraid to steal elements from successful game plans designed by their counterparts. And with the way Kansas City throttled Green Bay's offense in Sunday's 19-14 upset, defensive coordinators around the league are certain to take a few ideas from Romeo Crennel's plan. Here are a few elements that I believe will make their way into future game plans:

1. Dare the Packers to run.
2. Treat Jermichael Finley like a WR.
3. Challenge the Packers' WRs at the line.
4. Attack the Packers' protection scheme off the edges.
5. Use three- and four-man rushes.

Here are four teams with the personnel to follow the Chiefs' blueprint:

1. San Francisco 49ers: The NFL's No. 1 scoring defense has all the key components to implement the tactics used by the Chiefs in their win. They have a pair of pass rushers -- Justin Smith and Aldon Smith -- capable of winning their individual matchups without the assistance of blitzing. In fact, their chemistry and effectiveness on the T-E twist (defensive tackle and defensive end twist) is unrivaled in the NFL. With Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown emerging as a formidable lockdown tandem, the 49ers' defense has all the ingredients to keep the score down in a battle of NFC contenders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825448f7/article/chiefs-show-how-to-beat-packers-who-else-can-do-it?module=HP11_content_stream
That's right. That's right I've been saying this for a while now. Alot of us have we're going to the playoffs gentlemen
I would not call Tarrell Brown 1/2 of a lockdown tandem. Everything else I agree with.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I would not call Tarrell Brown 1/2 of a lockdown tandem. Everything else I agree with.

i lol'd at that part
Why would our #1 run defense dare GB to run on us. That doesn't make sense to me?
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
i have no doubt Justin and Aldon can do some major damage to the Pack. i'm talking being a real disruptive force. especially if their o-line is still banged up come late January.

as a fan of the Niners and the NFL, i hope we get to see this match-up.
if we get to play GB in GB.....I HOPE IT SNOWS LIKE CRAZY.....please let it be a blizzard!!!
The way Goldson has been playing of late I can see our secondary stealing the spotlight from our front seven in the playoffs. As crazy as that sounds.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Why would our #1 run defense dare GB to run on us. That doesn't make sense to me?

I think his point is that we should drop most of the defense into coverage and leave a very light front. In other words, do the exact opposite of stacking the box.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

i lol'd at that part

Well, it's not like teams are dropping big bombs on us. Less than 13.5 points a game means everybody is playing well. I think we lead all defenses in not allowing plays over 20 yards. In other words, our CBs are doing their job very well.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I think his point is that we should drop most of the defense into coverage and leave a very light front. In other words, do the exact opposite of stacking the box.

Exactly, do not stack the box and dare them to run with the light front.
  • carl
  • Veteran

The 49ers can get QB pressure with their front four and drop seven into coverage, or in other words "dare to run". They've been doing it all season.

Rodgers is a better QB (statistically) against the blitz. So you don't want to blitz him, but most teams can't consistently get pressure with four DL like the 49ers.

The 49ers are great against the run, so great that they've set a NFL record this year of not allowing a rushing TD in 14 games. Green Bay isn't so good at running, so that will be even less pressure on the 49ers defense, in theory.

A lot of signs pointing to a good 49ers matchup defensively against the Packers... Oh, and Packers are bottom 10 in run defense. Did I mention that?
Originally posted by boast:
i have no doubt Justin and Aldon can do some major damage to the Pack. i'm talking being a real disruptive force. especially if their o-line is still banged up come late January.

as a fan of the Niners and the NFL, i hope we get to see this match-up.

imagine if we can get that kind of pressure from the other side

Tarrell Brown is an extremely solid corner. We need to make sure he is around for years to come.