There are 241 users in the forums

NFL.com: 49ers have best personnel to use blueprint to beat GB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'll take a safety with our #1 pick PLEASE

So our biggest weaknesses are Goldson and Whitner? I'd rather get Haralson off the field
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

So our biggest weaknesses are Goldson and Whitner? I'd rather get Haralson off the field

Haralson plays during running downs for one of the best run defenses in NFL history.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Haralson plays during running downs for one of the best run defenses in NFL history.

harralson is great agains the run... and an OK pass rusher.. not the worst.. but not even close to being the best.

i completely agree with drafting a safety... whitner is good but he cant cover someone bigger than him.. if we play new orleans i am willing to bet big money that everyone time whitner is lined up with jimmy graham.. it gets completed 90 percent of the time. he just cant compete with the bigger guys.. every big tightend has taken advantage of him being a smaller guy... plus his coverage never was anything special. he is a solid player though ill give him that.
Originally posted by tankle104:

harralson is great agains the run... and an OK pass rusher.. not the worst.. but not even close to being the best.

i completely agree with drafting a safety... whitner is good but he cant cover someone bigger than him.. if we play new orleans i am willing to bet big money that everyone time whitner is lined up with jimmy graham.. it gets completed 90 percent of the time. he just cant compete with the bigger guys.. every big tightend has taken advantage of him being a smaller guy... plus his coverage never was anything special. he is a solid player though ill give him that.

obviously not everyone on the D is an elite player, so you can always upgrade. Haralson is a guy who will eventually lose his job to Aldon, and that's great, because Aldon is elite and Haralson isn't--but Parys is a solid player, a good player, and part of an excellent unit.

Safety is more of a need, because Goldson might be gone and because Whitner, like Haralson, has limitations--the ones you mentioned-- and those are more damaging to our defense, IMO, than Haralson's lack of elite passrush ability.

personally, I want a WR with our #1 pick though.

I just had to bump this, because I love the way it sounded....
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I don't think we have a weakness on defense. I think we are a play making, ball hawk, safety away from being the best defense of all time.
I miss Taylor mays, with this coaching staff, he could have been solid
Originally posted by tankle104:

obviously not everyone on the D is an elite player, so you can always upgrade. Haralson is a guy who will eventually lose his job to Aldon, and that's great, because Aldon is elite and Haralson isn't--but Parys is a solid player, a good player, and part of an excellent unit.

Safety is more of a need, because Goldson might be gone and because Whitner, like Haralson, has limitations--the ones you mentioned-- and those are more damaging to our defense, IMO, than Haralson's lack of elite passrush ability.

I am pretty good with the idea that Haralson can rest Smith on rushing downs. Keep smith fresh for passing downs.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I just had to bump this, because I love the way it sounded....

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

He is 3rd string on cincy, isn't he?

Personally, I think we are talented enough to get the most talented at our pick. Haralson is solid but will not start over Aldon Smith next year, but I dont see him leaving. I think our biggest need is to find the largest, fastest and most physical WR or DB we can find in the first round. While Whitner isnt elit he is servicable.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Brown hasn't been a lock down corner, but he's been improving and is certainly solid at this point. Credit Ed Donatell for that.

The thing I'm most impressed by is his speed. I knew he wasn't slow, but I didn't realize he was as fast as he is.

The play on Monday that Wallace got behind him, but was overthrown by Ben was a technique issue. He didn't get his hands on him at all and was faked into turning twice, IIRC. He didn't lose ground in the chase after the initial flub. Similar play happened against the Eagles, where he got beat by Jackson, but was still in position to make the TD saving tackle.

Still has some work to do, but the last interception where he was stride for stride with Wallace and just boxed him out and out fought him for the ball shows me that there is real potential there.
I dont know why people clown on Brown, he has played very well this year
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Brown hasn't been a lock down corner, but he's been improving and is certainly solid at this point. Credit Ed Donatell for that.

The thing I'm most impressed by is his speed. I knew he wasn't slow, but I didn't realize he was as fast as he is.

The play on Monday that Wallace got behind him, but was overthrown by Ben was a technique issue. He didn't get his hands on him at all and was faked into turning twice, IIRC. He didn't lose ground in the chase after the initial flub. Similar play happened against the Eagles, where he got beat by Jackson, but was still in position to make the TD saving tackle.

Still has some work to do, but the last interception where he was stride for stride with Wallace and just boxed him out and out fought him for the ball shows me that there is real potential there.

I'm with everyone else out here defending Brown. But to be fair: on that play Brown started with at least a 15 yard cushion on Wallace, and opened the play in outside backpedal technique. Basically total prevent mode. Wallace tried to run a deep post anyways and Ben just heaved up a "don't give a sh*t" type of pass. My point: if Brown had somehow been beat on that particular play, given the coverage and technique being called, it frankly would have been pathetic.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

what exactly did Taylor Mays do during his time here that makes you miss him? lol. waste one of our draft picks? yah, I totally miss taylor mays.
Share 49ersWebzone