There are 179 users in the forums

Who Gets More This Season: Alex Smith TD's or Aldon Smith Sacks? (UPDATED FOR 2012)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Gets More This Season: Alex Smith TD's or Aldon Smith Sacks? (UPDATED FOR 2012)

I hope Alex gets to 20 and Aldon gets to 18 at least. Should Aldon be lucky enough to reach 18 it would be a team record not just a rookie record. After reaching that mark he could the go for Strahan's record (22.5) next year.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I hope Alex gets to 20 and Aldon gets to 18 at least. Should Aldon be lucky enough to reach 18 it would be a team record not just a rookie record. After reaching that mark he could the go for Strahan's record (22.5) next year.

Doubt he gets it, since Farve wont be there to give him his last sack......
The question should be sack record vs. games with under 300 yards thrown
And people were upset we drafted this kid.
Funny...Alex Smith 22, Aldon Smith 17
Originally posted by okdkid:
The rookie record is 14.5, held by Javon Kearse. He only needs 2 sacks to set the record.

Aldon Smith...gulp...is a better rookie than Patrick Willis was.

Please stop! Please. Smith is still a reserve. Willis was a Pro-Bowl starter, a first team All-Pro. It is not close.

P.S. Honestly, members..... only one response to the post that Smith was a better rookie than Willis? Rally people. Are you honestly going to let that comment ride along free and clear? I expected a full dog pile. Put down the egg nog!!
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The rookie record is 14.5, held by Javon Kearse. He only needs 2 sacks to set the record.

Please stop! Please. Smith is still a reserve. Willis was a Pro-Bowl starter, a first team All-Pro. It is not close.

P.S. Honestly, members..... only one response to the post that Smith was a better rookie than Willis? Rally people. Are you honestly going to let that comment ride along free and clear? I expected a full dog pile. Put down the egg nog!!
This

The starter vs reserve argument is a bit flawed. You have to consider this:

1. The 2007 49ers NEEDED Patrick Willis to start. Besides Willis, we had Derek Smith and Brandon Moore playing ILB. Derek Smith was an average-below average starter and Moore wasn't good enough to start (he even struggled to make it as a backup on other teams after the Niners released him).

2. The 2011 49ers DON'T NEED Aldon Smith to start. Since Haralson and Brooks are solid starters, the team has the luxury of using Smith as a situational pass rusher. When Smith got "starter snaps" vs Detroit, he showed he can play at a high level throughout an entire game. I'm not so sure its talent keeping Smith from the starting lineup. I believe we just happen to have a good rotation in place.

Patrick Willis was a Pro Bowl starter and a first team All Pro as a rookie. That's very impressive and a great accomplishment. Aldon Smith has a shot at the Pro Bowl and set a 49er rookie sack record (and may possibly set the NFL rookie sack record). That's also very impressive and a great accomplishment. My point is that BOTH players have been dominant as rookies. I don't think its that ridiculous to compare who was a better rookie because they were both amazing rookies. IMO, its arguable who's the better rookie (especially if Aldon sets the rookie sack record).

At the end of the day, its a win-win for the Niners.
[ Edited by candlestick49er on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM ]

I am always game for some good eggnog...but calling smith better than Willis is asnine. Now he is he best pass rusher on the team...maybe some day we can say ever...but Haley was a more complete olb than Smith is at This Point. Smith has the potential to become as good or better.

Originally posted by Jakemall:

I am always game for some good eggnog...but calling smith better than Willis is asnine. Now he is he best pass rusher on the team...maybe some day we can say ever...but Haley was a more complete olb than Smith is at This Point. Smith has the potential to become as good or better.

Harbaugh has put him in a position to limit his mistakes.

Have to disagree,Willis went to the pro bowl his rookie year and continues to do so
they are two different types of players,one is a tackling machine and the other is a sack master but
the diff between the two is Willis can do it all: tackle/pas defend/force fumbles/int/sack the qb
Aldon is piece the 49ers have been missing since C.Haley-a bonafide pass rusher
He's a beast and should go to the pro bowl in his rookie year as well
love them both

gO niners
[ Edited by Super5 on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM ]
^^ that

im sorry but aldon smith wouldnt have nearly as much sacks as he does now if he didt lineup next to justin smith
A Smith vs A smith vote....i see what you did there.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Harbaugh has put him in a position to limit his mistakes.

That is actually true...and the proper attitude is so what, that is what good coaches do.
Share 49ersWebzone