There are 235 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I have nightmares of Reggie Smith giving up ass against the cowgirls. Here's to Dashon being a Niner for a long time to come.

Yup. Guys who think we can just plug somebody in as good as Goldson are kidding themselves.

How many guys have Reggie Smith started? We don't have enough film on the guy to have an opinion on him. Also, Goldson gives up huge plays quite often, so I don't really want to plug somebody as good as Goldson - I want to find a safety who is better than him.
I have nightmares of Reggie Smith giving up ass against the cowgirls. Here's to Dashon being a Niner for a long time to come.

Are you INSANE or WHAT!!! Pretty damn funny thou... ahh sooo the run up to New Years night... an I get it a day earlier than my homeys in SF!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Yup. Guys who think we can just plug somebody in as good as Goldson are kidding themselves.

How many guys have Reggie Smith started? We don't have enough film on the guy to have an opinion on him. Also, Goldson gives up huge plays quite often, so I don't really want to plug somebody as good as Goldson - I want to find a safety who is better than him.

Your "list" if you want to call it that doesn't have many better. Most are worse.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Your "list" if you want to call it that doesn't have many better. Most are worse.

Unfortunately, you've been so wrong on this forum - so many times - I can't take your opinion seriously. If you think Goldson is better than Nick Collins - then we have nothin' to discuss. No offense to you.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Dec 30, 2011 at 3:53 AM ]

Unfortunately, you've been so wrong on this forum - so many times - I can't take your opinion seriously. If you think Goldson is better than Nick Collins - then we have nothin' to discuss. No offense to you.

There aren't 5 safetys better in the league than him at his position.

Goldson is not as bad as people are saying, Otherwise why would fangio continue to start him and why would he get votes for the probowl, and three whateer mistakes he makes from time to time, is more than made up for by turnovers.

If Reggie was that good he would have started in place of Goldson. Yes we don't have enough film on him, but Fangio and our db coordinator sees him in practice and should know if reggie would be better in their, but he isn't. Reggie might well be good, but he might be worse, plus he is more injury prone. Dashon si still growing and getting better. Last year injuries caused him to regress last year after starting the year before. Now he is having a banner year.

Like I have said, many only see what is on tv, but don't take into account what his assignment and responsibilities are. Fangio, unlike JH, doesn't sugar coat things even though he doesn't throw people under the bus either.
There was a report a couple of weeks ago about how Goldson had 6 picks but only 1 additional pass defended...just the thought of him getting burned by Larry Fitzgerald when he tried to play the ball instead of laying a hit makes my stomach cringe.

This team has suffered from poor DB play for a while, and Carlos Rogers in one year has made me forget the likes of Nate Clements, Ahmed Plummer, etc, etc. I would hate to see Carlos Rogers go away and have Culliver and T Brown as our starting CB's next year.
Originally posted by 49erLegacy:
There was a report a couple of weeks ago about how Goldson had 6 picks but only 1 additional pass defended...just the thought of him getting burned by Larry Fitzgerald when he tried to play the ball instead of laying a hit makes my stomach cringe.

This team has suffered from poor DB play for a while, and Carlos Rogers in one year has made me forget the likes of Nate Clements, Ahmed Plummer, etc, etc. I would hate to see Carlos Rogers go away and have Culliver and T Brown as our starting CB's next year.

Wow he got beat on 1 play by the best WR in the league. Lets cut him. He's a Ssuuuxxooorrsss Safety.... Lets forget the turnover machine he is and remember that 1 play.
It's so funny, everyone was ready to let this dude walk at the end of last year. Now all of a sudden he's a top 5 safety LOL. He's mediocre.
Wow he got beat on 1 play by the best WR in the league. Lets cut him. He's a Ssuuuxxooorrsss Safety.... Lets forget the turnover machine he is and remember that 1 play.

He didn't get beat by Fitz. He beat himself. Diving for the ball instead of playing the receiver was just foolish. And that wasn't the first (or second, or third) time he's done that this season. Also, and as others have already mentioned, he takes terrible angles when pursuing the ball carrier. I'm not saying that he's a terrible safety -- we could do a lot worse -- but we can do better. I'd rather have an excellent cover safety that doesn't snag a lot of INT's, than an average cover safety that can only hit what's in front of him and gets few INT's a year.

So if the choice becomes either franchising or signing him to a ridiculous contract, I can't say I'd be sorry to see him go.
[ Edited by baltien on Dec 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM ]

In no particular order, here are 5 guys I'd rather have at free safety today than Goldson:

Ed Reed (yeah he's old, but still better than Dashon)
Earl Thomas
Eric Berry
Nick Collins
Ryan Clark
...haven't done research but I think I could come up with more if I put my mind to it...

I'm definitely not saying Dashon is BAD, but he's not a top-5 FS right now. Now since we can't have one of those 5 listed the question is do we pay Dashon top-5 money to stay? Obviously this is debatable giving this thread is 20 pages long, personally I wouldn't be unhappy to see him back but he's definitely got room for improvement and I'm not convinced we can't do better.

At the end of the day, do we want the guy that makes lots of bigs plays but also makes a lot of mistakes, or the guy who's dependable/solid in his position and rarely/ever makes mistakes (and probably not a lot of big plays as a result), or the guy who is both? There aren't many who are both, but it can't hurt to look.

That might be the most delusional thing I've ever read on these forums.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:

Goldson is not as bad as people are saying, Otherwise why would fangio continue to start him and why would he get votes for the probowl, and three whateer mistakes he makes from time to time, is more than made up for by turnovers.

If Reggie was that good he would have started in place of Goldson. Yes we don't have enough film on him, but Fangio and our db coordinator sees him in practice and should know if reggie would be better in their, but he isn't. Reggie might well be good, but he might be worse, plus he is more injury prone. Dashon si still growing and getting better. Last year injuries caused him to regress last year after starting the year before. Now he is having a banner year.

Like I have said, many only see what is on tv, but don't take into account what his assignment and responsibilities are. Fangio, unlike JH, doesn't sugar coat things even though he doesn't throw people under the bus either.

Never said Reggie Smith is better. We don't really know. Yes, coaches see them in practice and also started Chilo over Snyder. So, they can make mistakes. Anyway, I don't know if Reggie Smith is good or better. Just saying Goldson isn't franchise tag worthy. Goldson is starting because at this point he is our best option. Remember, he got offer from 1 team in the whole league before he returned to us. I never said Goldson is bad either, he is average or slightly above average. He got pro-bowl votes because he created some turnovers - and is playing on a 12-3 team with the best defense.

He is all right and we can improve at FS. I've no problem bringing him back at a reasonable contract. Franchise tag him? LOL NO.

I was hyped about Reggie coming into the season, all the Training Camp fluff about how good he looked had me sold that we should have him on the field with Dashon and Whitner. And then he played and the wheels fell off for him. Guys were begging for Goldson to come back after the first 2 games of the season.

So, for me the book on Reggie has definitely been written, special teamer and good in spot duty but not a guy I would want playing center field. As far as replacing Goldson, I like that you used the word find, because better safties are not going to be easy to come by. I guess seeing as how T. Brown has picked his game up, it's Goldson's turn to wear the dunce cap, but I certainly don't see him as a weak link.

Our run defense is hugely predicated on everybody playing the run, secondary included, and Goldson is a big part of that. And our pass D minus a bad game or two has been much improved when Goldson has been back there and healthy.
I want Goldson back...but I don't want to over pay for him.

5-10 Money seems about what it'll take to get him back.
Share 49ersWebzone