There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 15: Thoughts after re.....ok only watched it once because I was AT the game. ;-)

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers fans need to stop selling their tickets to where home games almost start looking like away games, WAY too many bandwagon Steelers fans in the crowd last night.

THIS.......but I stopped eeeing the Terrible Towls about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

Also....they aren't very bright. Niner fans are chanting "Defense" when the Steelers are on O. The Steeler fans were countering by yelling Steelers when the Niner fans are chanting Defense....

In other words, the Steeler fans were CONTRIBUTING to the crowd noise when their O was on the field.
Now ya see, thats why I need to RE-watch games. ;-)

I came away from the game thinking that Grant didn't play all that well and it seems everyone is disagreeing with me on that one. I'll have to go back and see it again to see if I was wrong watching it live.

He made a great play on the pass breakup, but it seemed to me that he was missing some assignments in the run game that allowed for some long (by 49er D standards) runs by the Steelers.
Spot on... the two cents ill add;

Alex is too conservative to make the fade along the sidelines throw. It seems as if years of conservative coaching has all but killed his accuracy in this area. He ALWAYS is trying to make sure his receiver is gonna catch it or it's going out of bounds... but when every chance taken sails 5 yards out of bounds, at somepoint the QB has to start keeping the ball in play and trusting his receivers over using the sideline as a crutch. He is thinking about it and overcompensating, killing any accuracy.

Gore..I disagree that giving a contract to Gore was a mistake like one poster mentioned cause he will always be a gamer. However it does look like he is trying to save his body and avoid taking any big hits. Could be injury, the coaching staff telling him to save himself for the postseason, or maybe he is subconsciously realizing that he is on his last contract and wants to see it out... regardless he isnt the same type of player. Look at his drops, the majority of time his eyes arent even on the ball when its getting close but anticipating the hit and looking to juke.

The one dissapointment.. Dixon. He is definitly a quality special teams guy, but with Gore in and out, Hunter on the small side... this is Dixons chance to step up as a short yardage back but if he isn't trying to dance in the backfield he is so far over his feet on inside runs that he falls forward on first contact. He may stick as a Robinson-esque type player, but in terms of RB he isnt convincing the front office that he is better a RB they might find late on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.
Well it seems like significant progress over week 14. Hopefully regarding alex that as the WRs get settled that he can develop more chemistry with them. Hopefully Crabs will come in to TC next year and be ready to start practicing with Alex. But Morgan, Crabs, Williams would be good. I would also like to get a tall receiver with excellent hands, and another TE with excellent hands. I think D. Walker drives me crazy with drops and Vernon has so many skills that he draws double coverage so he plays his role well. But the glue handed receivers with speed is something we need. It also seems that we may be getting closer to needing to replace Gore. So few catches indicates some kind of problem.
Originally posted by Chico:
it's cool how you can see SO MUCH more stuff at the game live that you can't see on TV. I always wonder why they don't throw the deep ball more to the sidelines because it seems like the receivers would be playing one on one against a DB

Amazing isnt it?

What the "sit at home Niner fans" on NT dont fully understand is how many wide open WRs Alex misses due to dumping the ball off to early or just not identifying a WIDE OPEN WR. It happens every single game. Not just talking about the horrendous pass to Crabtree that should have been an easy touchdown. Im talking about Kyle Williams streaking down the middle of the field with the closest defender at LEAST five yards behind him, and Alex not even attempting to throw it.
Happens game after game. It doesnt even bother me anymore that certain posters completely downplay my weekly comments about this problem. I just realize that they would have no way of knowing this, because they dont go to games.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

The guy that drove me crazy last night was Haralson. The guy has a really hard time making plays in the open field. His misses cost the Niners several times during the game.

This. Haralson whiffed on some key tackles last night.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers fans need to stop selling their tickets to where home games almost start looking like away games, WAY too many bandwagon Steelers fans in the crowd last night.

I would agree, but please keep this in mind. The vast majority of tickets were snapped up by Squealer fans BEFORE the season started. It's not like 49ers fans were exactly tearing down the gates to get season tickets. That mad rush started just recently, and by then, the tickets for this game were long gone. I'm not blaming season ticket holders who sold seats for this game. They knew they could get two or three times the asking price for them, and you gotta make rent somehow.

I don't think you'll see another team's fanbase come in and dominate next year like we saw this year. Ain't gonna happen.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Chico:
it's cool how you can see SO MUCH more stuff at the game live that you can't see on TV. I always wonder why they don't throw the deep ball more to the sidelines because it seems like the receivers would be playing one on one against a DB

Amazing isnt it?

What the "sit at home Niner fans" on NT dont fully understand is how many wide open WRs Alex misses due to dumping the ball off to early or just not identifying a WIDE OPEN WR. It happens every single game. Not just talking about the horrendous pass to Crabtree that should have been an easy touchdown. Im talking about Kyle Williams streaking down the middle of the field with the closest defender at LEAST five yards behind him, and Alex not even attempting to throw it.
Happens game after game. It doesnt even bother me anymore that certain posters completely downplay my weekly comments about this problem. I just realize that they would have no way of knowing this, because they dont go to games.

It must be so madnening, but you better get used to it because Jim Harbaugh thinks Alex is legit and should play in the probowl, the FB that used to play for the saints ,(heath evans?)just said on NFLN that the 49ers aren't winning games because of the defense they are winning games because of Alex and the the presnap adjustments that he was making against a D. Lebeau defense shows that this team is for real.

Oh ya and Harbaugh just said that he believes Alex is the long term answer.

You are going to be soooo unhappy for the next few years. Better jump on board of this bandwagon now because other wise you'll never be allowed after we prove success through the next decade.

Here's the fact, it doesn't matter what spin you put on Smith any more, it's a forgone conclusion that he will be the starting QB of this team next year and possible a few years after that (could conceivably play for the next 10 years). If you cannot come to terms with it then you best re-evaluate, Harbuagh has essentially ended this Alex debate; on or off buddy.
Great job Marvin! Hopefully this team keeps improving & rolling into the playoffs!
Goldson definitely needs to calm down a bit and just make the tackle. Especially in the playoffs. Go for the big hit if you know you have someone else coming in, other than that, wrap the f**k up!
I still can't believe Aldon got 7 hits. That's freaking impressive.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

The guy that drove me crazy last night was Haralson. The guy has a really hard time making plays in the open field. His misses cost the Niners several times during the game.

This. Haralson whiffed on some key tackles last night.
This and Ahmad Brooks pass coverage was awful...Rottenburger made him look silly on more than 2 occasions. Anyone think Grant would be an upgrade over either of these guys? I realize that Grant plays MLB but i thought he covered Heath very well during the 2nd half, and from what I've seen his pass rush is pretty decent. The biggest thing that worries me about him is his speed/acceleration....he has potential to be good, but also potential to eat dust. Thoughts?
Originally posted by Loco49er:
During the post game show Eric Davis mentioned that missed tackles are starting to creep into the defense. The missed tackles have been noticable the past two games so I hope they fix this problem asap...I would hate to see Lynch have a good game on Saturday.

I think a lot of that has to do with our awful 3rd down conversions on offense. The offense just isn't sustaining enough, to give the defense much of a breather. At this point in the season, it's not surprising at all that they might be wearing down a little.
Grant got ate up on that misdirection play right after halftime. Thats a play where Willis would of fought off the block/not overpursue and make the tackle. Thats the rough play I seen. Also Bowman missed a tackle on a HB that I thought is a Willis all day play.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Kyle Williams needs to be #3 Wideout working out of the slot ala Wesley f**king Welkah .