There are 150 users in the forums

Week 15: Thoughts after re.....ok only watched it once because I was AT the game. ;-)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Chico:
it's cool how you can see SO MUCH more stuff at the game live that you can't see on TV. I always wonder why they don't throw the deep ball more to the sidelines because it seems like the receivers would be playing one on one against a DB

Amazing isnt it?

What the "sit at home Niner fans" on NT dont fully understand is how many wide open WRs Alex misses due to dumping the ball off to early or just not identifying a WIDE OPEN WR. It happens every single game. Not just talking about the horrendous pass to Crabtree that should have been an easy touchdown. Im talking about Kyle Williams streaking down the middle of the field with the closest defender at LEAST five yards behind him, and Alex not even attempting to throw it.
Happens game after game. It doesnt even bother me anymore that certain posters completely downplay my weekly comments about this problem. I just realize that they would have no way of knowing this, because they dont go to games.

Question: Do you also personally attend the 31 other teams' games? Seems to me that if your premise is that one can only fully see a QB's failings or successes by being in the stadium, you'd have to in order to make an apples to apples comparison between them.

In other words, either (a) Smith misses far more open WRs than other QBs, as evidenced by an analysis of all of the data (viewed in person) or (b) you don't have the same pool of data available to you to compare Smith's performance to every other QBs.
^ And please don't misinterpret my post to mean that Smith DOES NOT miss open receivers. He does.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
^ And please don't misinterpret my post to mean that Smith DOES NOT miss open receivers. He does.

but so does everybody and he is worse but it is not that egregious.
it's cool how you can see SO MUCH more stuff at the game live that you can't see on TV. I always wonder why they don't throw the deep ball more to the sidelines because it seems like the receivers would be playing one on one against a DB

Amazing isnt it?

What the "sit at home Niner fans" on NT dont fully understand is how many wide open WRs Alex misses due to dumping the ball off to early or just not identifying a WIDE OPEN WR. It happens every single game. Not just talking about the horrendous pass to Crabtree that should have been an easy touchdown. Im talking about Kyle Williams streaking down the middle of the field with the closest defender at LEAST five yards behind him, and Alex not even attempting to throw it.
Happens game after game. It doesnt even bother me anymore that certain posters completely downplay my weekly comments about this problem. I just realize that they would have no way of knowing this, because they dont go to games.

Question: Do you also personally attend the 31 other teams' games? Seems to me that if your premise is that one can only fully see a QB's failings or successes by being in the stadium, you'd have to in order to make an apples to apples comparison between them.

In other words, either (a) Smith misses far more open WRs than other QBs, as evidenced by an analysis of all of the data (viewed in person) or (b) you don't have the same pool of data available to you to compare Smith's performance to every other QBs.

What's this logic you're trying to apply to this land of hyperbole.

Get outta here....

There is another quarterback on the field at our home games. You don't have to travel around the country to make a rational comparison.
Originally posted by VaNiner540:
This and Ahmad Brooks pass coverage was awful...Rottenburger made him look silly on more than 2 occasions. Anyone think Grant would be an upgrade over either of these guys? I realize that Grant plays MLB but i thought he covered Heath very well during the 2nd half, and from what I've seen his pass rush is pretty decent. The biggest thing that worries me about him is his speed/acceleration....he has potential to be good, but also potential to eat dust. Thoughts?

Another brilliant post...Brooks is NOT supposed to be covering TE's 20 yards down the sidelines. His job was to have underneath coverage which he did...the issue was that he had NO help over the top like he was supposed to get...twice. So he stayed with his man. Learn the game of football before you make ignorant posts like this.

Amazing isnt it?

if he was deep in the middle and no 1 was within 5 yards he isnt open

i play football and i get a lot of picks ( i played CB/WR) the reaso is when deep i always give them a window to throw the ball and to think the WR was open of course i dont know the context but assuming you mean over 20 yards it is easy to travel 5 yards within that time
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Goldson drives me crazy with his missed tackles. It's frustrating because he has the potential to be a great tackler.
[ Edited by Hopper on Dec 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Another brilliant post...Brooks is NOT supposed to be covering TE's 20 yards down the sidelines. His job was to have underneath coverage which he did...the issue was that he had NO help over the top like he was supposed to get...twice. So he stayed with his man. Learn the game of football before you make ignorant posts like this.

good post.
Originally posted by Hopper:
good post.

well it really depends if they were playing man or zone

hard tot ell without seeing the replay

Originally posted by BrianGO:

There is another quarterback on the field at our home games. You don't have to travel around the country to make a rational comparison.

except i have seen what people call a missed open WRs. i acknowledge smith is pretty bad at the deep sideline pass and misses those a lot. but what many view as an open would have thought ben had an open WR in the end zone on the first drive
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

except i have seen what people call a missed open WRs. i acknowledge smith is pretty bad at the deep sideline pass and misses those a lot. but what many view as an open would have thought ben had an open WR in the end zone on the first drive

Can't discount the roaming defender underneath. People tend to do that when they mentioned 'wide open' and only noticed the trailing defender. How about Larry Grant going up for Ben's pass underneath. A few inches lowered and it would have been a pick.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Now ya see, thats why I need to RE-watch games. ;-)

I came away from the game thinking that Grant didn't play all that well and it seems everyone is disagreeing with me on that one. I'll have to go back and see it again to see if I was wrong watching it live.

He made a great play on the pass breakup, but it seemed to me that he was missing some assignments in the run game that allowed for some long (by 49er D standards) runs by the Steelers.

He had some nice plays.

Mendenhall broke a big run and got all crazy and started to yell. Next play Grant gave him a good shot to shut em up. That was the end of that run game non sense.

He also made some batted passes and some clean tackles.

But i know what u mean where he was beat on coverage and missed some holes. Its kool he's at least in the general area of where he is supposed to be which isn't hard for a mlb. He is a servicable apprentice until the Master returns.

Sample size of 8 smith games and 8 games (1 each) of other QBs? Out of 512 total games?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Can't discount the roaming defender underneath. People tend to do that when they mentioned 'wide open' and only noticed the trailing defender. How about Larry Grant going up for Ben's pass underneath. A few inches lowered and it would have been a pick.

i wasn't even talking about the underneath. the ravens game a poster was "screaming" about VD being open but reed was over the top playing centerfield. the poster then says it is VD you have to challenge.

no that is reed, you do not challenge.
Share 49ersWebzone