LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Do we have the makings of an all-time great LB group?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They're no there yet, but I believe the foundation is there. All the guys are young, and If we upgrade Brooks (who is good, but not stellar) our LB group could be an all-time great unit. Thoughts?
We have Patrick Willis

Willis=All time Great

The other three linebackers are irrelevant.

/ thread.
Aldon - Willis- Bowman - someone For years to come!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
They're no there yet, but I believe the foundation is there. All the guys are young, and If we upgrade Brooks (who is good, but not stellar) our LB group could be an all-time great unit. Thoughts?

I agree if we can keep upgrade Brooks who is not bad this LB group can be special.
really impressed with grant last night....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by blake6905:

He just earned himself a new contract with some other team last night.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'd take our LBs against any in NFL history.
I say we put grant in at OLB

starting 4

LOLB Grant

MLB Willis
MLB Bowman

ROLB Smith
Maybe, Gotta do it for a few years at least to be considered....
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
I say we put grant in at OLB

starting 4

LOLB Grant

MLB Willis
MLB Bowman

ROLB Smith

I gotta say with the way he handled the pass last night, ABSOLUTELY!!! Didn't think about that, probably a move that needs to be made in the off season though...

Brooks is up and down and Haralson misses too many tackles. Once Smith becomes a full timer and we can find some way to get Grant playing alongside him, Willis and Bowman, or simply pick up someone of equal caliber, then we could have the Four Horsemen of linebacking. Would hate to lose Grant, seeing what he's capable of.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by blake6905:

He was the best of our starting LBs. I thought that Haralson and Bowman in particular had subpar games. Grant and Aldon Smith more than covered for them.

I was saying this last night at the game. He's played himself into a starting role with starter money somewhere in the league. I would love to keep him as a back up, but it's unlikely. Not sure if he can play OLB or not, but if Brooks leaves he and Haralson could battle it out with a rookie.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I was saying this last night at the game. He's played himself into a starting role with starter money somewhere in the league. I would love to keep him as a back up, but it's unlikely. Not sure if he can play OLB or not, but if Brooks leaves he and Haralson could battle it out with a rookie.

I think he is having a few decent games but once he settles into a starting role he will get exposed. I seen him get pushed around pretty easily by the OL. He was better in the pass then I expected but maybe that was because Ben was hurt.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I think he is having a few decent games but once he settles into a starting role he will get exposed. I seen him get pushed around pretty easily by the OL. He was better in the pass then I expected but maybe that was because Ben was hurt.

Really? I didn't see him get pushed around at all. Thought he was extremely physical. And his pass D was the best of all our LBs by a clear margin. He's not much of a blitzer but that's really my only knock on the guy so far.

As a baseline for getting exposed, we should all rewatch the Steeler LBs (Farrior and Timmons) try to cover Vernon one-on-one during the first TD drive. Yikes. That's getting exposed.
Share 49ersWebzone