LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

offensive plays of recent years you would like to see back in niners playbook

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was watching that thread featuring the Superbowl plays in 95, and saw how Shanahan had used base personnel in different looks, I think the coaching staff should, and I think they've been doing something close to that.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Would love to see the TE drag come back near the goal line where the Qb play actions to the RB then rolls into a naked bootleg with the TE dragging across the formation from the opposite side of the formation giving the QB a run or pass option.

I'm not convinced there's anything more beautiful than a tight end drag. Even Vernon's heavy thundering feet and a slightly high and wiggly Alex pass become a magical ballet.

Also enjoy the fake handoff at the goal line when the running back sells a swan dive over the pile and every linebacker in the world leaps for him but the ball enters the love nest elsewhere.
The Steve Young Bootleg to Brent Jones. Vernon Davis can make a living on this play.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by prime21:
The Steve Young Bootleg to Brent Jones. Vernon Davis can make a living on this play.

Jim knows

ff to 1:44

Quick Slants

4 WR sets and going downfield

Roll out plays to get Alex out of the pocket to make plays ..when Norv was here he got Alex to make some plays when he rolled him out and got the ball out quickly
The tight end throwback, where QB rolls right, playside TE fakes a block then swims opposite the current of the pursuit and pops out on the backside. I swear, every time this play gets called the TE is wide open.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Inside the 5... Naked boot leg...

This absolutely!
Originally posted by E-49er:
Would love to see the TE drag come back near the goal line where the Qb play actions to the RB then rolls into a naked bootleg with the TE dragging across the formation from the opposite side of the formation giving the QB a run or pass option.

THIS! My favorite play, works everytime! Also, we used to run a QB sneak where only he and the center knew. I saw SY run this a lot.
last year vs panthers niners were near goalline after a long pass smith to davis...smith faked handoff, pivoted and rolled left and found davis wide open
Originally posted by hofer36:
obviously with harbaugh/roman you have new coaches/new playbook
but i wonder if they look at past years and try to incorporate plays of past coordinators that worked well

one that comes to mind is the seam route to vernon davis deep downfield....that play worked so well, that defenses have really geared up to stop it, yet im not sure i recall niners even trying it once this year (i know smith overthrew davis deep vs cards, but that didnt look like the play that they used to work so well)

another would be the roll right and throw back left to davis---that has gone for tds in past years (opener vs cards in 1986, and acouple years ago vs seahawks)
wow davis must be old.

but a screen pass, whether it be to davis, walker, gore, hunter, williams, crabtree, ginn hell i don't care. just chip the rusher, let him by and throw it behind him with 2+ blockers in front.

Throws to the backs or Tight Ends in middle of the field. It seems do we do a lot of throws to the sidelines which is ok, but you have to mix it up.
I would like to see them run more blitz pickups/hot routes and for pete's sake can we have some max protect packages?
RB Draw on 3 rd and long
Originally posted by prime21:

he would probaly drop 8 of 10 passes.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Jim knows

ff to 1:44

Oh hell yeah!
Share 49ersWebzone