LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Calling Out Players That Need to be Called Out

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I will say it again---play more Crabtree and more kyle Williams and less Ginn, less edwards, less delanie walker. Use some of that old WC offense that passes and runs from the same lineup. Get Gore and Hunter more involved in the pass game---it is OK to pass to a rb 7-8 times a game---Montana and Young did it many a game.

Yes, they did it for years after a couple of years learning. They didn't just run onto the field and start dominating.

You're saying it took a couple years to learn how to throw to a RB in the backfield? LOL

Maybe it took that long to implement the practice into the everyday gameplan, but that's something any professional QB should be able to right off the bat.

It took that long for Walsh to teach Montana how to drop back consistently. Passing came later. It took Montana two years to take the job away from DeBerg with the team winning 2 and then 6 games. It also was not Montana alone who had to learn the WCO. It took a while for the receivers to learn how to run routes in the WCO and how to protect the QB.

And Montana (and team) had the best teaching coach in 9er history. Now Harbaugh has to bring Smith and company up to speed and you give him less than a season. How fair are you being? Not very to my way of thinking.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM ]
I will say it again---play more Crabtree and more kyle Williams and less Ginn, less edwards, less delanie walker. Use some of that old WC offense that passes and runs from the same lineup. Get Gore and Hunter more involved in the pass game---it is OK to pass to a rb 7-8 times a game---Montana and Young did it many a game.

Yes, they did it for years after a couple of years learning. They didn't just run onto the field and start dominating.

You're saying it took a couple years to learn how to throw to a RB in the backfield? LOL

Maybe it took that long to implement the practice into the everyday gameplan, but that's something any professional QB should be able to right off the bat.

It took that long for Walsh to teach Montana how to drop back consistently. Passing came later. It took Montana two years to take the job away from DeBerg with the team winning 2 and then 6 games. It also was not Montana alone who had to learn the WCO. It took a while for the receivers to learn how to run routes in the WCO and how to protect the QB.

And Montana (and team) had the best teaching coach in 9er history. Now Harbaugh has to bring Smith and company up to speed and you give him less than a season. How fair are you being? Not very to my way of thinking.

Preseason, and the beginning of this season we were supposed to struggle on offense because the WCO is hard to learn, and because we suck. We have defied those expectations, my problem currently is we are regressing, we seem to be almost more inept than we were in the sehawks / cowboys games earlier this year.

Is that on the players or Coaches?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

What do you mean, it took Walsh that long to teach Montana to drop back consistently?? Are you saying that Montana didn't know how to take snaps from under center??

And it didn't take Montana two years, it was pretty much 1 and a half years for Walsh to slowly work Montana in. Expectations aren't set high when your a 3rd round pick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What do you mean, it took Walsh that long to teach Montana to drop back consistently?? Are you saying that Montana didn't know how to take snaps from under center??

And it didn't take Montana two years, it was pretty much 1 and a half years for Walsh to slowly work Montana in. Expectations aren't set high when your a 3rd round pick.

There is a tape where Montana demonstrates all the drops that Walsh demanded he learn. He could take a snap at ND but Walsh had different drops for passes to the left and right, various depths, sideways steps to open lanes, etc. It was very detailed and, of course, Montana mastered them all. I doubt Smith has been asked to work on more than straight drops.

Edit: Walsh explained why the first step should help position the body for the direction of the throw. Very detailed stuff.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Preseason, and the beginning of this season we were supposed to struggle on offense because the WCO is hard to learn, and because we suck. We have defied those expectations, my problem currently is we are regressing, we seem to be almost more inept than we were in the sehawks / cowboys games earlier this year.

Is that on the players or Coaches?

Probably a little of each, including injuries and being zonked by learning so much every week for the first time in their careers. The Ravens exposed some OLine shortcomings and the 9ers are yet to fix that area.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Alex Smith? That is a joke. He is the only reason we were even still in the AZ game at the end, and he made a huge play keeping that last play alive that should have been caught by Walker. You're just a Smith hater so he is always going to be on your list.

My list would be Justin Smith, McDonald, Brooks and Haralson for not getting any pressure on the QB at all in the last few games. The only guy pressing the QB is our roookie Aldon. We had no pressure against AZ.

Next would be Gore because he has no burst at all.

Next would be our offensive coordinator who can't draw up one single play to get a guy open in the red zone or draw up a running play that works inside the 20.

The biggest unit to call out is by far our OL who can't pass block worth $hit. Smith has zero time to throw the ball and it is destroying us.

LOL, big. Are you talking to me or someone else?

Has to be someone else, considering all my defenses of Smith, especially in the OL and Alex Smith threads.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

There is a tape where Montana demonstrates all the drops that Walsh demanded he learn. He could take a snap at ND but Walsh had different drops for passes to the left and right, various depths, sideways steps to open lanes, etc. It was very detailed and, of course, Montana mastered them all. I doubt Smith has been asked to work on more than straight drops.

Edit: Walsh explained why the first step should help position the body for the direction of the throw. Very detailed stuff.

Walsh taught Montana mechanics that applied to the WCO to coordinate with receivers routes. Montana didn't have to learn how to drop back from under center like a college shot-gun QB has to, there's a difference.
Walsh taught Montana mechanics that applied to the WCO to coordinate with receivers routes. Montana didn't have to learn how to drop back from under center like a college shot-gun QB has to, there's a difference.

Never said it was the same, but those who believe Montana came into the NFL a great QB and did not need Walsh to teach him and build the offense around him must not remember the 80s very well.

The mechanics were things like how to plant your foot on your first step away from center so that you would wind up your last step in perfect position to release the ball quickly, whether right, left or straight. That is part of dropping back.

Edit: Incidently, I remember this because it had never occured to me that dropping back could be complicated! Just another of those things that we take for granted from our armchairs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's played awesome this year. He's one of our best players. In fact he is going to be damn expensive in FA.

Sure, he's the best safety we've had in years, but that doesn't mean he's a smart player. Wipe out his penchant for really stupid mistakes and you have yourself an elite, rather than very good, player.

Agree with both of you! Has been playing well but his mental lapses are hard to swallow, especially when you go for a pick against a guy who is known to be one of the strongest receivers in the NFL. When you do something like that you either succeed or are a dunce. His tendency to make errors at key moments will reduce his FA contract.

Goldson is limited, he can make play and hits when the action is infront of him. But he lacks the speed and recognition to cover the back end when the field gets stretched. He cant get to the sidelines in time on long streaks and always too eager to attack the play in front of him leaving him susceptible to getting beat on the back end. Now he is starting to go for the big play over the sure tackle... great when it works or when there is a substantial lead, but otherwise you get what we had in AZ. If this team is gonna spend big money on a safety I would prefer breaking the bank for one with range over a safety who can only make plays infront of him. Better suited to play strong safety.

Goldson is fine --he just needs to play smarter and understand every week who he is playing against---you would not be as aggressive going for an INT against a Larry Fitzgerald as versus some other WR not as good.
There's a few names I could bring up here spencer comes to mind
Alex smith
Goodwin
Braylon edwards
Walker but he has his tImes with me when I'm mad and when I'm not
Staley because damnit Boone should be starting over him and it makes me mad

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by strickac:
Everyone knew Ginn was garbage. Vernon is the guy the needs to be checked. His hands are awful and now he jumps before trying to catch every pass, which makes him even worse. We need to quit sending him deep and just let him catch quick passes off the line. That where he's most effective.

Kyle Williams looks like the guy with the brightest future. Crabtree looks better this year, but I think the deep ball is a serious hole in his game. On the flipside, Crab is developing into one of the dominate run-blocking WRs in the league.

I never thought too highly of Morgan before, but he was a reliable target for Alex. It'll be nice if we bring him back.

Vernon had a ton of deep ones on the 965 yard 13 TD year...

Now I can rest peacefully tonight. After reading the 1st few pages and not seeing you post your famous stat made me think something happen to you.

I'm gonna call out my favorite person on the team, Coach Harbaugh. C'mon Coach, YOU call the dang plays, not somebody with half your experience, just because it is the "in" thing to do in pro football...have a separate OC. I saw your innovative, well thot out calls at Stanford, yet you have an OC who can't figure out how to score in 4 plays from the 3 yrd line? And it hasn't happened once, it happens often, altho maybe from inside the 10 or 20 yd line. Whatever, YOU need to be our functioning OC, our Play Caller. Send Roman up to the press box and have him call down any thing he sees. But having you on sideline, making calls yourself, calling them in yourself will a) get us way better play calling, and b) eliminate this business about calling a T.O. because a play didn't get in on time, or worse, 2 consecutive T.O.s( the 2nd is a 5 yd penalty as you found out) . My gosh, man, that was B.M.'s trademark, among other maladies...not getting plays in on time and allowing D to tee off on alex with 1 second left on time clock. If you want a role model for a coach who calls his own O and D, how about Bellicheat? And he's been pretty darn successful, esp when his OCs. or DCs get hired away.

Coach, think about it this way: it IS your team, and you are responsible. Send Roman upstairs and let's see the real Harbaugh, not an imitator who is doing neither you nor this team any favors... Oh, and while you are at it, you might as well call the D too, because fangio has DBs play off and with no passrush, opponents(good ones) are throwing at will on us. I know you would call more aggressive Ds than fangio, because that is your nature. Keeping Roman and fangio calling O and D, instead of you, just means we get out play called by the Ravens, AZ, and coming up the Steelers. Please do us a favor and yank roman and fangio, and do the job you wanted them to do.
If you want to do a job right, do it yourself.

Other than that, thanks for bringing us back from the dead, and for being the guy who saved the 9ers. Now, make the changes, and let's go win some games from teams with the BIG RUSH. Oh, one other thing, please teach alex to throw in under 2 seconds, and the WRs to be looking for ball the moment they leave LOS. Thanks, pasodoc9er
D Walker mentioned recently that the offense does not move quickly to get on and off the field in package situations. This delays the huddle and gives Smith less time at the LOS to assess and audible. It is also sloppyness that tends to leak out into other areas if allowed to do so. I have never liked the huddle used this year...too sloppy and guys are bending over and around each other to try and hear the play.

There have been a number of times this year where the offense could have caught the D in disarray if they had hurried to the LOS and quick snapped. Also could have used the no huddle, but with players walking back to the huddle and showing no sense of intense urgency, how do you run a quick offense? The 9ers aren't as bad as Detroit was in the 9ers game but darn close. Even the 9er receivers are slow getting back to the huddle and they're not lugging around an extra 100 pounds!

Would love to see the 9ers use a no huddle early in the Pittsburgh game (if they have practiced it) to see if it can be done effectively in the post season.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
the oline better show up
Frank Gore needs to be called out on his ability to catch the ball as of recently.
Share 49ersWebzone