There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers' WRs

• sfout
  • Veteran
Did some digging around some Bills websites......

GM Buddy Nix on Stevie Johnson

Current Personnel. Obviously, the first question fired was about the free agent status of Stevie Johnson. Nix unequivocally said that the team wants him back, that there's been dialogue between the team and Johnson's representatives since the season ended, and that if Johnson leaves, the team will need two receivers. This sounds like their most imminent priority, the way Nix was talking.

another comment about the receiving need in Buffalo

Nix then mentioned that the team needs a "big-time" receiver, referencing the need for a player like Calvin Johnson that's "uncovered when he's covered." They'd like to get one even if Stevie Johnson is re-signed, noting that they'd get two if Stevie leaves.

and other article about the recent "progress" or lack thereof involving Johnson's contract....

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/1/28/2754244/buffalo-bills-stevie-johnson-no-closer-on-contract-extension-per

The way Nix is talking, they don't plan on using the franchise tag on Johnson but it looks like they both want a deal :/

Personally I think Johnson would be the best target for us.
I've changed my mind (again). I really dont think WR is an issue when all our guys are healthy. Obviously, having an elite WR would help, but paying for one in FA would do more damage to the overall team than good.

Morgan: looked like our best WR pre injury. His Yac ability is second to none.

Crabtree: He had nearly 900 yards and was injured in the beginning of the season causing him to miss games and be limited in others. He definitly flopped in the Saints game, but he didn't he didn't even get a chance in the Giants.

Ginn: He has the speed to be a deep threat, but when was the last time we used him that way? I put that on coaching more than anything.

KW: Say what you will, but KW is a legit wr. He got behind the Giants secondary and should of had a TD, he is also very electric after the catch, not to mention he has great hands. I just dont think he should ever field a punt or kick return for the rest of his life....

Davis & Walker: In our run heavy formations these guys are as good as a WR and are very, very dangerous. Most of the time we are in a 2 WR set anyway.

The only thing I really think we need is depth not named Swain or Jones. It would be nice to pick up a productive Edwards type. But, unless the addition we bring in is obviously elite talent, I think it would be very difficult to pass up Morgan and Crabtree on the depth chart.
I know he wasnt a Harbaugh guy but i thought bringing back Zeigler would have been a better move than Swain. Hastings i understood, we needed a body that was familiar with the system, but when we signed Swain that was a chance to bring in an outsider that could make a difference.
Altho I was thrilled to get craps, he thanked us with a half season holdout, then didn't know playbook remainder of yr. Since then he has either been spectacular in maybe half a dozen games, but has disappeared in others, notably the playoffs. I think we should box him up and see if we could swap our #1 pick(30) for a high pick in draft. I am becoming convinced this kid is a talent when he wants to be, and is completely consumed by self. There is no team in CRabtree...just craps. Package him up and see if we could get high enough to get Blackmon. Or we could offer Kap for blackmon. But i do not believe craps is a Harbaugh or team type guy, and he needs to move on.

We still need to try and land Bowe as first choice....jeez, playing on a winning team in SF as opposed to KC? Should be easy choice but will be expensive. Vincent jackson also but is older. Desean jackson....puleeze no. No way that kid comes here and doesn't destroy team morale. The remainder you know, but Bowe would sure look good in red and gold instead of just red. Anyway we can get rid of craps would be good for the team. We would have to get adequate compensation, but someone who can be depended on is a helluva lot better than a guy who occasionally makes circus catches. I say craps goes.

As note by dtg above, so what if we draft or acquire another TE who is a ball handler. Sure we still need WRs, but Morgan, Kyle, will have to do for #3 and #4 until we get a #1, #2 and #3. Meanwhile another ball hawk like Vernon would be just fine thank you . Also look for Coach H to get us some WRs he knows from college, plus scouting, who will either be there late or UDFA. I bet 2 of our #1- #3 WRs utlimately come from there. But dump craps. Not worth the time nor effort for a talent that is wasted. And I don't see JH getting him over that.
The 49ers have WR's? wow they should have told those dudes, about the NFC championship game, it might have been different if they should up!
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
thought just came to me... there is plenty of discussion about where our current WR's should be 1, 2, 3 etc. That to me screams that we don't have a true #1. Crabtree and Morgan are the only two WR that are being discussed as a #1, but there are plenty of arguments that either of those guys are a 2, 3 or even 4.

If there is NOT a clear number one, then I think we really need to go get a guy who is... if nothing else it will motivate the other WR's and they might elevate their game and we have multiple good WR... ask Eli and the Giants, thats a nice thing to have.
I don't think we need a dominate #1 WR. But we do need a good to very good receiving core. The Giants has this. None of them are dominate but together Nicks, Cruz, Maningham very good core.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick6:
thought just came to me... there is plenty of discussion about where our current WR's should be 1, 2, 3 etc. That to me screams that we don't have a true #1. Crabtree and Morgan are the only two WR that are being discussed as a #1, but there are plenty of arguments that either of those guys are a 2, 3 or even 4.

If there is NOT a clear number one, then I think we really need to go get a guy who is... if nothing else it will motivate the other WR's and they might elevate their game and we have multiple good WR... ask Eli and the Giants, thats a nice thing to have.

Crabtree and Morgan should be #2 and #3 respectively. We absolutely need another #1/2 that can flip flop with Crabtree. Just wrote in another thread that I do not think we will want or necessarily be able to sign Ginn on the open market so IMO we draft or sign a #1 and #4 receiver then have a camp competition for the #5 job between: Kyle Williams, John Matthews, Joe Hastings, and Dontavia Bogan. Winner gets the #5 gig. 2nd place gets PS bottom 2 hit the road.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't think we need a dominate #1 WR. But we do need a good to very good receiving core. The Giants has this. None of them are dominate but together Nicks, Cruz, Maningham very good core.

I beg to differ. Nicks is a monster, Cruz was able to break out because of Nicks' skill.
Originally posted by sfout

I beg to differ. Nicks is a monster, Cruz was able to break out because of Nicks' skill.

Seems like they are both pretty good. With Cruz having enough talent on his own right.

Cruz has 1500yds
Nicks 1100yds
Manningham 500 (12 games)
Originally posted by sfout

Seems like they are both pretty good. With Cruz having enough talent on his own right.

Cruz has 1500yds
Nicks 1100yds
Manningham 500 (12 games)
Dude, you can't have it all unless you get lucky in the draft. We might not have Cruz, but they dont have Davis. It's my opinion that if Eli was throwing him the ball, Crabtree would be just as or more productive than Nicks. Crabs had 900 yards and we barely even used him for the first 5 games of the season. In addition, Morgan and Edwards weren't even there to keep defenses honest. There is nothing wrong with our WRs, we just got hit with injuries and our QB needs to let them make plays, much like Troy Smith did before we realized he sucked because he has no accurancy, arm and can't read defenses.
Contrary to popular belief, I don't think we need a COMPLETE overhaul of our WR corps. Between drafting a receiver high (probably 1st round), Morgan coming back, and the whole offense being in year 2 of Harbaugh's system, I think we should be just fine. We do NOT need to overpay to bring in a FA or add TONS of receivers like everyone has been saying, Crabtree/1st rounder/Morgan/K. Williams/Ginn would get the job done IMO.
Theres a ton of decent talent out there. Some will command big money, it may be worth it but someone else is needed. Crabtree is a 2 at best, Mogan isnt a #1 in my eyes, probably suited for the 3 role. A big strong #1 is what we need
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Dude, you can't have it all unless you get lucky in the draft. We might not have Cruz, but they dont have Davis. It's my opinion that if Eli was throwing him the ball, Crabtree would be just as or more productive than Nicks. Crabs had 900 yards and we barely even used him for the first 5 games of the season. In addition, Morgan and Edwards weren't even there to keep defenses honest. There is nothing wrong with our WRs, we just got hit with injuries and our QB needs to let them make plays, much like Troy Smith did before we realized he sucked because he has no accurancy, arm and can't read defenses.

He injured his foot during the offseason..or don't you remember? That's almost like saying we didn't use Josh after he broke his leg.

We lost Edwards, so we need to replace the threat that he was supposed to be. But other than that, If Josh comes back healthy and we don't lose Ginn we should be okay. I'd still want to add another WR to the mix just to see if they can beat someone out. Always gotta try to get better at every position if it is financially reasonable to try.

For the record, I hope to either draft a high pick WR and bring in a good value FA or get a quality FA and use a 4-5th rounder on a WR.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:

He injured his foot during the offseason..or don't you remember? That's almost like saying we didn't use Josh after he broke his leg.

We lost Edwards, so we need to replace the threat that he was supposed to be. But other than that, If Josh comes back healthy and we don't lose Ginn we should be okay. I'd still want to add another WR to the mix just to see if they can beat someone out. Always gotta try to get better at every position if it is financially reasonable to try.

For the record, I hope to either draft a high pick WR and bring in a good value FA or get a quality FA and use a 4-5th rounder on a WR.

All I meant by "not use him" is that we either couldn't or we where working him back in. Wasn't meant to be a negative comment.

I agree with everything you said.
I've changed my mind (again). I really dont think WR is an issue when all our guys are healthy. Obviously, having an elite WR would help, but paying for one in FA would do more damage to the overall team than good.

Morgan: looked like our best WR pre injury. His Yac ability is second to none.

Crabtree: He had nearly 900 yards and was injured in the beginning of the season causing him to miss games and be limited in others. He definitly flopped in the Saints game, but he didn't he didn't even get a chance in the Giants.

Ginn: He has the speed to be a deep threat, but when was the last time we used him that way? I put that on coaching more than anything.

KW: Say what you will, but KW is a legit wr. He got behind the Giants secondary and should of had a TD, he is also very electric after the catch, not to mention he has great hands. I just dont think he should ever field a punt or kick return for the rest of his life....

Davis & Walker: In our run heavy formations these guys are as good as a WR and are very, very dangerous. Most of the time we are in a 2 WR set anyway.

The only thing I really think we need is depth not named Swain or Jones. It would be nice to pick up a productive Edwards type. But, unless the addition we bring in is obviously elite talent, I think it would be very difficult to pass up Morgan and Crabtree on the depth chart.

You're basically overrating Morgan if you believe that.