There are 155 users in the forums

49ers' WRs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
they are a lot of WR this draft who could have #1 potential

alshon floyd hill and randle could easily develop into #1 WR

kenall wright could be an elite playmaker in the slot position

I think the key word is develop. I'm not saying we dont need to build for the future, but Alex needs a significant upgrade next year, not 2 or 3 years from now. I doubt any WR in this class could come in and beat Crabtree or Morgan. I think picking a WR with 30 would be a waste. I'd rather go OLB or TE or DT in this draft with the first pick. This is a WR rich FA offseason and good Wrs can always be had. Its very rare to find an Elite OLB/TE or DT to hit the open market, not so much with a Wr.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the key word is develop. I'm not saying we dont need to build for the future, but Alex needs a significant upgrade next year, not 2 or 3 years from now. I doubt any WR in this class could come in and beat Crabtree or Morgan. I think picking a WR with 30 would be a waste. I'd rather go OLB or TE or DT in this draft with the first pick. This is a WR rich FA offseason and good Wrs can always be had. Its very rare to find an Elite OLB/TE or DT to hit the open market, not so much with a Wr.
agree with you a hundred per cent about the need to get a upgrade for next year. sometimes a project is good like bruce miller but in this case, we need a upgrade sooner rather than later. I also agree with you that picking a tight end like that stanford guy everyone loves would not be tragic. if you think we have mismatches now with vernon and walker think what we could do with him! heck getting mcnutt from iowa in the third would not be tragic. now of course i must find something to disagree about with oakland or it just would not be right! i think we can find someone better than morgan and crabtree in the draft. i actually sort of find that hard to believe my self but i have to find something to argue with you about
Originally posted by cciowa:
agree with you a hundred per cent about the need to get a upgrade for next year. sometimes a project is good like bruce miller but in this case, we need a upgrade sooner rather than later. I also agree with you that picking a tight end like that stanford guy everyone loves would not be tragic. if you think we have mismatches now with vernon and walker think what we could do with him! heck getting mcnutt from iowa in the third would not be tragic. now of course i must find something to disagree about with oakland or it just would not be right! i think we can find someone better than morgan and crabtree in the draft. i actually sort of find that hard to believe my self but i have to find something to argue with you about

Originally posted by cciowa:

I agree that we need WR playmaking ability now and the most logical, quickest solution would be a FA receiver.

I'd love to see Jackson or Stevie Johnson. Colston too but he has injury concerns.

With that 30th pick, I see us either trading up and getting a top-flight WR or standing pat and picking BPA.

I won't be mad if they draft WR but they need veteran help.
Originally posted by sfout:
The odds of him instantly coming in and putting up better #s then Crabtree's 900+ yards is a ridiculous statement in itself. At #30 you are picking a #2 who will HOPEFULLY DEVELOP into a #1 and if he doesn't he is a good #2.

Depends how you look at it. Alot of Lions fans when they were picking #1 overall were saying how have #33 was like having a #1 pick or close to it.. Soo... If your picking in the 1st round its a 1st round pick.. its just a lesser tier of the 1st round. but #30 out of DE'WR'QB'LB'DT"OT"OG.. and your only at #30 out of every college in the NFL you better be picking a franchise player. sorry.
Crabtree still could develop into a #1, guy has been nagged by injuries and had a very good year in his first season under our new coaches. Also even if the WR we draft ends up being a legit #2, give me two legit #2s any day over the crap we had after Morgan's injury.
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Crabtree still could develop into a #1, guy has been nagged by injuries and had a very good year in his first season under our new coaches. Also even if the WR we draft ends up being a legit #2, give me two legit #2s any day over the crap we had after Morgan's injury.

id rather move crabs over to #2

youre right he is a decent option but he got shut down completely when he got doubled in the playoffs

ya i know theyre wasnt anyone else on our team (VD was doubled or tripled on occasion as well) but i think a true #1 WR should be able to get open on occasion in double coverage crabs just cant do that
Yeah I'd agree with that. I think we'll know for certain this season but a true #1 will create those opportunities. Most of those guys tend to be big and strong as well, not always but it seems to be the trend. Late 1st round can be one of those moments where you go big or go home. Hill is a swing for the fences pick but I trust this staff to make the right moves. With Davis attracting so much attention there should be no reason Crabs was held to one catch; as you already noted. They weren't even double teaming him most of the time, he just did not get open often enough.
Share 49ersWebzone