There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers' WRs

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that we need WR's. There are people who seem to think that we don't have enough TE's. I think our WR corp was the weakest group on the 49ers, hands down. After Morgan went down we really couldn't challenge anyone deep or on the edges. WR is the one glaring need the 49ers can ill-afford NOT to address iin the first round. I really do think that Morgan is our solid dependable #2 when he comes back. Crabs had a golden opportunity to take ownership of the #1 role but failed. He was grossly inconsistant; his play showed me that he really wasn't in the playbook like he should have. Plus, I think Alex lost confidence in him as the season progressed (see the NFC title game). So for me Crabs is no better than #3. Our 1st rounder has to be a big physical WR who can come right in a start day one.I think Fortunately, this draft class is deep with WR's so I think we need to get two, maby three WR's out of this draft.

I'd like to see:
1.) First round WR/ M. Colston if we can get him at the right price
2.) Morgan
3.) Draft pick/Crabs/Williams, let'm compete
4.) Williams/Drat pick
5.) Draft pick
6.) Ginn

i dont think we go after biig name FA

i think we go

1 WR stevie johnson
2 crabtree
3 rookie pick
4 morgan
5. ginn (or rookie speedster also KR/PR)
I don't know if Buffalo is stupid enough not to franchise Steve Johnson, but I want that dude as a Niner. He's only 26. Had 2 - 1,000yds season the last 2 seasons. Big, fast, quick, good hands. He's got it all. One of the up and coming WR talent in the NFL. Maybe Whitner can do some recruitment for us.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't know if Buffalo is stupid enough not to franchise Steve Johnson, but I want that dude as a Niner. He's only 26. Had 2 - 1,000yds season the last 2 seasons. Big, fast, quick, good hands. He's got it all. One of the up and coming WR talent in the NFL. Maybe Whitner can do some recruitment for us.

only problem is buffalo played a spread offense

so we have t see if he can play in the WCO
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

only problem is buffalo played a spread offense

so we have t see if he can play in the WCO

That might be a bit of a hiccup but I don't see that as a major problem. Crabtree came from a spread in college. He seems for acclimate decently. Johnson has a ton of confident in his ability and can back it up. Like a brashness of a young VD. I think that's good. We need that on offense. I'm trying to think who he reminds me of....
Steve Johnson = Sterling Sharpe
For those that want to go after the top tier FA wideouts, who among you is willing to sacrifice the longterm future of this team to acquire such a player?

To get that big name player, we'd lose one or possibly even two of our own key free agents. All of these players may not be among the top 5 at their position, but they fill their roles quite well and make this team a complete team. Whether it be a Ted Ginn, Dashon Goldson (who may arguably be at the bottom of the top 5 and definitely top 10), Carlos Rogers, Adam Snyder (a guy that you can plug in anytime there are injuries in the interior of the O-line), and Ahmad Brooks. We would be taking a step back to let any of those players go for the sake of having one top tier receiver.

Truth be told, this team doesn't even need a dominant receiver in order to stay among the top teams in the NFL. They just need a competent one. Keep in mind, we completed one first down the entire NFC championship and still were a muffed punt/fumbled punt return away from the Super Bowl.

A Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham type + a rookie, along with a healthy Morgan, Crabtree, and Williams (it won't kill us to keep him as a 5th receiver), would be enough to add to a strong group of TEs that would be used more than the receivers in this offense and a more balanced attack with less Gore and more Kendall Hunter should make this a top 10 offense next season.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
For those that want to go after the top tier FA wideouts, who among you is willing to sacrifice the longterm future of this team to acquire such a player?

To get that big name player, we'd lose one or possibly even two of our own key free agents. All of these players may not be among the top 5 at their position, but they fill their roles quite well and make this team a complete team. Whether it be a Ted Ginn, Dashon Goldson (who may arguably be at the bottom of the top 5 and definitely top 10), Carlos Rogers, Adam Snyder (a guy that you can plug in anytime there are injuries in the interior of the O-line), and Ahmad Brooks. We would be taking a step back to let any of those players go for the sake of having one top tier receiver.

Truth be told, this team doesn't even need a dominant receiver in order to stay among the top teams in the NFL. They just need a competent one. Keep in mind, we completed one first down the entire NFC championship and still were a muffed punt/fumbled punt return away from the Super Bowl.

A Robert Meachem or Mario Manningham type + a rookie, along with a healthy Morgan, Crabtree, and Williams (it won't kill us to keep him as a 5th receiver), would be enough to add to a strong group of TEs that would be used more than the receivers in this offense and a more balanced attack with less Gore and more Kendall Hunter should make this a top 10 offense next season.

this thats why i would rather traade up in draft then get an extremelly overpriced FA especially if it affects us signing our FAs
- We wanted Plaxico before we signed Edwards, but he chose to do a 1 year deal in NY. I think we get his attention this time around with the deep playoff run we had. He becomes the big target in the red zone that we wish Edwards was.

- Resign Ginn.

- Draft a burner.

Burress
Crabtree
Rookie Burner
Ginn
Williams

Gives us two solid possession targets and 3 guys that can take the lid off the defense.
Webzone will complain that we didn't do enough in FA to address WR because our depth doesn't look like their madden team.
Drafting Crabtree back in 09 thrilled me because I thought we were FINALLY going to be getting the elite receiver we had been missing since TO.

I'm not as hard on Crabtree as most, but it's obvious he's not a pick #10 talent.

This team needs a go-to big time WR. Gotta get him this offseason.

NO ROOKIES PLEASE. A young vet like Bowe would be awesome. Stay away from Burress, guy is all but washed up.
Originally posted by niners_guy:
- We wanted Plaxico before we signed Edwards, but he chose to do a 1 year deal in NY. I think we get his attention this time around with the deep playoff run we had. He becomes the big target in the red zone that we wish Edwards was.

- Resign Ginn.

- Draft a burner.

Burress
Crabtree
Rookie Burner
Ginn
Williams

Gives us two solid possession targets and 3 guys that can take the lid off the defense.
Webzone will complain that we didn't do enough in FA to address WR because our depth doesn't look like their madden team.

plaxico is 38 or so

he will not be a #1 WR he will purely be a RZ target of we do get him

I would love to get Stevie Johnson but I think he stays in Buffalo. He is from San Francisco though...
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by niners_guy:

- Resign Ginn.

- Draft a burner.

Burress
Crabtree
Rookie Burner
Ginn
Williams

plaxico is 38 or so

he will not be a #1 WR he will purely be a RZ target of we do get him

Ok, so switch him and Crabtree and be equally depressed. I really don't think we're going to see a Bowe, Jackson, or Johnson in SF next year. Harbaugh isn't looking to make Alex a 4500 yard guy and I don't see them paying through the nose to get a top tier receiver. We need that big target and Plax's age(34) is exactly what puts him in our price range.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Top QBs dont rely on separation. When needed, they find a way.

Good QBs have good receivers or they become formerly good QBs. Harrison and Driver were two of my all-time favorite receivers because they were dependable and durable...wonderful to have guys like that. Smith has had...Battle, crazy guy, Lloyd, and Bruce as his best receivers...not exactly a treasure trove!

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
There are people who seem to think that we don't have enough TE's. I think our WR corp was the weakest group on the 49ers, hands down.

If you can't find the answer to one area you need to improve another. Having three TEs who are as fast as WRs and catch the ball well would be right up Harbaugh's game plan. It's not that anyone wants to ignore WR but at the bottom of the first round there may not be a WR worthy of the spot. If a super TE is there you take him. By the same token, if there is a great pass rusher there you take him over the tight end...all has to work out and there is no way to know for sure who will be there. It is safer to go after FAs and shoot for the stars...settle where you have to. Last year it was Edwards, this year should attract more interest due to 9er success.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM ]
Im starting to think that we wont make a big splash in FA for WRs, We will probably go after the 2nd tier Guys, maybe a guy like Meachem?