LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

It's official 49ers have the worst red zone offense in the league

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ernick:
Originally posted by ponyboy49:
the worse part is, we had one the best redzone offense with jimmy raye/mike johnson...

Because we were never in the red zone!!

What happened to using Sopoaga in the backfield? That worked a ton for us early.

Also I want to see the TE seam route we used to see with Vernon. It would be a good staple play for the offense. Defenses probably defend against it more now but since we haven't used it we might catch them sleeping
Originally posted by ak49:
Its a combination of a bunch of things
1. playcalling is horrendous - seriously why would you only bunch up in the redzone. what about being creative, spreading it out (if bunching is not working), qb or rb runs on a spread offense, etc, etc, - heck just copy what other teams are doing
2. a.smith has been inaccurate
3. not getting a sense of urgency or improving - the niners are sitting on the laurels of their 10 win season

Quarterback Bootleg(s)......PLEASE!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Every time we are in the red zone I dont expect a TD anymore. It sucks and pisses me off.

Its like wining and dining a chick and at the end of the night all you get is a peck on the cheek.
David Akers is a very good and reliable kicker but man I hate seeing him so much. He gets more air time than any other 49ers player.

We have become the San Francisco Field Goalers
delanie walker has dropped a couple passes but more so they are not using our TE's vernon davis is our best playmaker he only had 1 reception for 32 yrds on a short crossing route where the cards did not cover him at all why not dial up that play on 3rd and 2 when they decided to throw deep to vernon in double coverage or one 4th and 1. I have noticed vernon davis staying in to block more ofter than ever before i watched saints game and jimmy graham has over 75 catches and over a 1000 yrds recieving no disrespect to jimmy graham but i honestly feel like we have the better TE why wont we use him?
Maybe we are trying to be too complex in the RZ. With Jimmy Raye we never struggled in that area. We have one month to work on RZ and beating blitzes hopefully we can get it worked out.
BUT BUT BUT BUT

The Cardnials SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKSORZ
We are one of the worst on third down conversions as well. This is mostly on the passing game as third down is generally a passing down.

Why is it that the team has vastly improved in all areas except one....the passing game....

Hmm whats that one variable that still looks the same as it has in the last 7 years...oh yes...the passing game...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We are one of the worst on third down conversions as well. This is mostly on the passing game as third down is generally a passing down.

Why is it that the team has vastly improved in all areas except one....the passing game....

Hmm whats that one variable that still looks the same as it has in the last 7 years...oh yes...the passing game...

but but the line is bad and our receivers drop every pass
It's not just all Alex, I want to know WHY we have receivers like Ginn and Braylon in our redzone packages and not Crabs or Williams... Alex and Braylon just cannot if their life depended on it connect on those damn back shoulder throws whatsoever..... And the ball is never thrown inside the endzone, always outside to the sideline. If we've learned anything from Alex THIS season it's that his accuracy seems to be a lot better when thrown in the middle of the field, deep middle, or to crossing routes. Not understanding the play-calling/personnel groupings at all when it comes to inside the 20....
Originally posted by DMiller2007:
Wait.... So we have a bad red zone offense?
This
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

but but the line is bad and our receivers drop every pass

but but but our o-line and wrs have been bad for 7 years. So has our coaching.

Now we have good coaching but the passing game still blows. What gives? We should hire a rocket science to figure this one out.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
It's not just all Alex, I want to know WHY we have receivers like Ginn and Braylon in our redzone packages and not Crabs or Williams... Alex and Braylon just cannot if their life depended on it connect on those damn back shoulder throws whatsoever..... And the ball is never thrown inside the endzone, always outside to the sideline. If we've learned anything from Alex THIS season it's that his accuracy seems to be a lot better when thrown in the middle of the field, deep middle, or to crossing routes. Not understanding the play-calling/personnel groupings at all when it comes to inside the 20....

Of course its not just Alex. But he is the QB and has a big hand in the woes.

Alex rarely uses the back shoulder throw,. I've seen it a handfull of times this year. This requires accuracy and confidence in your abilities and confidence in your WRs. Alex has none of these attributes.

The ball is never thrown inside because we have a scared QB. There are always routes in the middle like crab slants on short crossing patterns. Alex doesn't pull the trigger and chooses the safe sideline throws. This is true even when not in the endzone. He RARELY throws the ball deep middle of the field, effectivly giving up opportunity to make big plays. This is evident as we barelty have any big gains pasing. In fact, we have bigger total gains in the run, which is sad.

The play calling is handcuffed with a guy who is to afraid to pull the trigger.
Share 49ersWebzone