There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Game Grades per Grant Cohn

Coaching: F.

Gore averaged 7.2 yards per carry but rushed just ten times in a close game. That's inexcusable. Clearly Harbaugh and his staff were trying to rest him, but that was the wrong decision because they couldn't afford to do that today. If it weren't for Gore, the Niners entire offense would have been David Akers. Harabugh was trying to be too cute, trying to win without his best offensive player. If he tries that against Seattle in two weeks, the Niners will lose that one, too.

The offense struggled to pick up the blitz again today. Can Harbaugh and his staff correct that problem this season? If they haven't already, the answer is probably no. The Cardinals blitzed all day and the Niners tried to run into it, which didn't work, and they tried long-developing play action plays, which really didn't work. Roman called one halfback screen to Hunter and it picked up ten yards. He should have called five of those.

In the red zone his play calling was just as bad. He had Smith throw one-read, designed fades to Edwards and Ginn Jr., both of whom failed to catch the ball, of course. I understand Smith couldn't throw to Crabtree or Davis in the red zone because the Cardinals were doubling them. But the coaches needed to put Kyle Williams in the game and have Alex Smith throw those fades to him. Williams made the best fade catch of the year back in Week 2 against Dallas. He's proven he should start and yet he doesn't. Williams had six targets in the game – he should have had 12.

This is Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh's fault. They need to figure out something to fix their offense quickly because they're running out of time.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/12/inside-the-49ers/week-14-grades/
agree
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
agree

Me too
Originally posted by tohara3:
Me too

me3
totally out coached. QB sweep within the 10 yard line? Pass on 3rd and 4th and one with the game on the line? Gore only in on one play per 3 downs. THe o line was horrible. It looked like the game plan was horrible the first quarter. Hopefully Harbaugh learns to mix things up the second time he plays a divisional rival in a season.
Spot on! These coaches need to use more screens and go back to the run which is the bread and butter. I think they are smart enough to know this but they now that our OLine is not up to the challenge as they were earlier in the season so they are covering up the OLINE deficiencies in the run game. They are not opening up holes consistently enough like they use to. Pass protection is also becoming a problem.
I would agree with every one of those grades. Very frustrating. Still, it says a lot about our team to play and coach that badly on the road, and still be in position to win. I just hope they get this crap out of the way now.
I don't care what anybody says, Harbaugh doesn't trust Smith. Field goals aren't going to cut it in the playoffs. He is relying too much on the defense. They can only do so much.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Gore averaged 7.2 yards per carry but rushed just ten times in a close game. That's inexcusable. Clearly Harbaugh and his staff were trying to rest him, but that was the wrong decision because they couldn't afford to do that today. If it weren't for Gore, the Niners entire offense would have been David Akers. Harabugh was trying to be too cute, trying to win without his best offensive player. If he tries that against Seattle in two weeks, the Niners will lose that one, too.

The offense struggled to pick up the blitz again today. Can Harbaugh and his staff correct that problem this season? If they haven't already, the answer is probably no. The Cardinals blitzed all day and the Niners tried to run into it, which didn't work, and they tried long-developing play action plays, which really didn't work. Roman called one halfback screen to Hunter and it picked up ten yards. He should have called five of those.

In the red zone his play calling was just as bad. He had Smith throw one-read, designed fades to Edwards and Ginn Jr., both of whom failed to catch the ball, of course. I understand Smith couldn't throw to Crabtree or Davis in the red zone because the Cardinals were doubling them. But the coaches needed to put Kyle Williams in the game and have Alex Smith throw those fades to him. Williams made the best fade catch of the year back in Week 2 against Dallas. He's proven he should start and yet he doesn't. Williams had six targets in the game – he should have had 12.

This is Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh's fault. They need to figure out something to fix their offense quickly because they're running out of time.

the same kohn head that predicted the niners would blow out the baltimore ravens 30-3. This guys a clown and predicts a niners victory every week,. They lose and everybody gets low grades. WHO CARES WHAT THIS TOOL THINKS.. Little shocking that an experienced zoner like you jeff really gives a hoot about this guys comments or grades. Hes irrelevent as far as im concerned.
I won't be surprised to see Roman gone after the season.
ugh too many losses lately. I agree on his grades though. Pretty much everything.
Originally posted by whatawegot:
Originally posted by jreff22:

the same kohn head that predicted the niners would blow out the baltimore ravens 30-3. This guys a clown and predicts a niners victory every week,. They lose and everybody gets low grades. WHO CARES WHAT THIS TOOL THINKS.. Little shocking that an experienced zoner like you jeff really gives a hoot about this guys comments or grades. Hes irrelevent as far as im concerned.

in this instance he is spot on, we were not put in the best position to win today
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Smith is great when he has a devastating defense and devastating ST and outstanding oline blocking and perfect coaching and receivers that never drop the ball. He is not clutch in the absence of any of those though. Our O is not playoff worthy. Today's game was very sobering to watch.
I think our biggest issue was us struggling to handle our own success. -We became so consumed by the 'hats' and 't-shirts' that we probably felt a lack of urgency to put in 100% until January.