There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does VD shy away from contact?

He doesn't always do it, but I've noticed he sometimes tries more to juke than just run into people. I have a few theories.

1) Concussions, I believe he's had some before.
2) Fumble problems when he spends a lot of time fighting for yards.
3) He tends to run upright, which exposes him more to injury. He needs to practice getting lower.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM ]
How much is he being paid? AB?
he thinks he's barry sanders
he acts like hes desean jackson sometimes. if he wants to be a little guy it should be steve smith, cuz he plays like hes the biggest dude in the world. MAN UP VD!!! he turned himself into a f**kin machine, he needs to use his size and speed to blow people up
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He doesn't always do it, but I've noticed he sometimes tries more to juke than just run into people. I have a few theories.

1) Concussions, I believe he's had some before.
2) Fumble problems when he spends a lot of time fighting for yards.
3) He tends to run upright, which exposes him more to injury. He needs to practice getting lower.

Couldn't agree more.

For his size and speed he runs very awkwardly. He exposes himself way too much by staying high.

His biggest issue is the latter part of #2:

HE NEEDS TO GET DOWN WHEN HE'S TIED UP AND NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

This man loves to get the ankle lasso and fight for yardage he never gets, setting himself up for someone to take a free shot at him.

If he just ran hard and fast straight ahead, he'd break right through initial contact and would bust outta those ankle tackles.

He's a hell of a threat at TE but he clearly needs some work in the aforementioned areas, as well as the hands department.
- 965 yards, 13 TD's.

- 914 yards, 7 TD's.

- Voted to Pro Bowl.

- Fastest and most athletic TE in the game by far.

- One of the best blocking starting TE's in the game.

Not good enough. We have a Sssuuuxxoooorrrsss TE.......
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I do find it funny that during his two best receiving years he had ZERO fumbles. VD's hybrid build really presents a problem, he should be trucking people but I think he is such an athletic and lean person that even though he only 6'3 250 the weight is distributed really evenly and makes him into a thinner taller body rather then a stockier TE.

Hopefully the almighty Rathman can teach him some downfield running.
Vernon Davis is obviously a whimp.

Seriously....are you people on heroin?

How deep do you go do find something to b***h about?
I just wish he would catch the ball with his hands and focus on keeping his feet in bounds so that we could use him more on end zone fades.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Why does he need to bowl ppl over? He's basically a WR who can block lineman. He's fast, elusive, and he uses his large stature when boxing out for catches and running lanes for his routes.

Doesn't everyone remember VD being possibly moved to WR b/c he was faster than any of our WRs and has the best hands on the team? We don't need a Witten (would be nice, but not needed), Ballard or a Boss; VD is in the mold of Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, and Jermichael Finley, big WRs who can block and outrun LBs, so play TE.

this isnt all nonsense but the comparison to tony gonzales.. shockey.. is not good. gonzales and shockey had great hands... gonzales is still doing it! his hands are like gold.. only one person in NFL HISTORY has more catches and yards than him.i think he closin in on the touchdowns too if he hasnt already... and thats jery rice. i would take a tight end like guy in new orleans over VD. he has great hands and can block. VD is a top tight end in the league but i dont think he is the best. i think he can have alot of room for improvment in the passing game
The less hits you take the longer you'll last in the league. Live to fight another day I say!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
- 965 yards, 13 TD's.

- 914 yards, 7 TD's.

- Voted to Pro Bowl.

- Fastest and most athletic TE in the game by far.

- One of the best blocking starting TE's in the game.

Not good enough. We have a Sssuuuxxoooorrrsss TE.......
The point... You are missing it....
Jeez, some of you guys want blood. Just be happy with what we have, on helluva blocking TE, courage is not a question here. The guy routinely makes lots of extra YAC for other receivers, or runners , esp frank. I think like a few noted above that not running over someone and holding onto ball are a lot more important than the early Vernon, who DID run over people, but the ball frequently came out. I bet anything he was told to do that a few yrs ago. Stop trying for more yds, and just get down or OOB.
As for peeking and running before he gets the ball, i agree. He does do that, and that can be coached up. His drops almost always are because he took his eye off the ball. Personally, I am content with the catch, and holding onto the ball all the way to the ground. My 2 cents.
i agree. i do not want him just being a bulldozer, but he needs to implement a little more. it would give a tackler one more thing to worry about. but i do not mind his running style, attack the defenders side and make them arm tackle you.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Why does he need to bowl ppl over? He's basically a WR who can block lineman. He's fast, elusive, and he uses his large stature when boxing out for catches and running lanes for his routes.

Doesn't everyone remember VD being possibly moved to WR b/c he was faster than any of our WRs and has the best hands on the team? We don't need a Witten (would be nice, but not needed), Ballard or a Boss; VD is in the mold of Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, and Jermichael Finley, big WRs who can block and outrun LBs, so play TE.

this isnt all nonsense but the comparison to tony gonzales.. shockey.. is not good. gonzales and shockey had great hands... gonzales is still doing it! his hands are like gold.. only one person in NFL HISTORY has more catches and yards than him.i think he closin in on the touchdowns too if he hasnt already... and thats jery rice. i would take a tight end like guy in new orleans over VD. he has great hands and can block. VD is a top tight end in the league but i dont think he is the best. i think he can have alot of room for improvment in the passing game

I would also add Rob Gronkowski, who is tearing it up right now (those who have to play against him or have him in their fantasy league would understand.) I agree with the OP, VD needs to realize that he is built like a freaking LB and can bull over the smaller DBs with no problem. Vernon needs to also realize that once you hit em a couple of times, they will shy away when you come at them again.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home