There are 230 users in the forums

Why does VD shy away from contact?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I try to avoid contact with VD as well.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
you defend VD way too much

just because someone is a good player and produces doesn't mean they have no flaws

he avoids contact when running after the catch, thats just how it is and we have all seen the drops

It also doesn't mean he can't produce more. IMHO, VD is underperforming consider his physical attributes.

Bingo!!! I agree Joe!!!!

This. I think he has performed well...I just think he can do even better. Add some more practice on the Jugs and him being a bit more aggresive with stiff arms and lowering the shoulder and I think he could be the Jerry Rice of TEs..in terms of production..not play style.
He doesn't want to get hurt, he produces they just need to get him the ball more often. I would rather him play more games then initiate contact and get hurt. Look at how Jeremy shockey used to play, dude was a monster but he got hurt and it really derailed his career.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
yea he needs to cut that s**t out and just finish runs. He has good straight away speed but isn't very quick. Run people over VD!
Modded. No cussing dude.
[ Edited by Janitor on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM ]
jim needs to sit him down and show him 2 hours of animal planet

this is a rhino, he runs over s**t

this is a cheetah, he runs around s**t

you are a rhino
Originally posted by jreff22:

you are a rhino

well, he has a lot of speed too so maybe a Reetah? or a Chino?
I think there is some merit to what the OP is saying. There are times when Vernon seems to go down too easily for a man with his size/strength. There are times when he gets arm tackled low, tackles he should be able to break, and he goes down willingly without a fight.

It's interesting because early in his career I remember Vernon would fight hard to get yards after contact. He go victimized a couple times when he got stripped of the football while fighting for extra yards, and I think his lack of aggressiveness to break tackles might be because of this. He has even mentioned in some interviews, when talking about playing smart, that sometimes its better to go down and protect the ball rather than fight for extra yards. Come to think of it, this sounds like something Dingleberry would say.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by jreff22:

you are a rhino

well, he has a lot of speed too so maybe a Reetah? or a Chino?

lol

Rhino's are fast when running straight, something Vernon needs to do
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think there is some merit to what the OP is saying. There are times when Vernon seems to go down too easily for a man with his size/strength. There are times when he gets arm tackled low, tackles he should be able to break, and he goes down willingly without a fight.

It's interesting because early in his career I remember Vernon would fight hard to get yards after contact. He go victimized a couple times when he got stripped of the football while fighting for extra yards, and I think his lack of aggressiveness to break tackles might be because of this. He has even mentioned in some interviews, when talking about playing smart, that sometimes it's better to go down and protect the ball rather than fight for extra yards. Come to think of it, this sounds like something Dingleberry would say.

Yep. If he doesn't think he's going to get away he plays it 'smart' and hits the deck before somebody hits him, or jars the ball loose. It may be smart, but it's frustrating as hell to watch a guy that big and fast go down so easily.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:

When was the last time you saw him lower his shoulder and truck someone? He should be on dancing with the stars as much as he stops his feet and trys to juke defenders.

He runs over people. He jukes people too. He outruns people. And he's very physical blocking. He does all those things.

When has VD EVER ran someone over, the guy is either trying to jump over people or run outta bounds. I've never seen this guy lower his shoulder and truck someone like Frank the Tank who's twice as small.
Seems as if I can remember him trucking and stiff arming a few his rookie year just cant prove it lol. But i'm just going to agree with you since its very hard to recall him ever doing since. Its seems like he thinks hes the fastest man or something, like he can just burn or juke his way to the end zone every time. He really needs to use his his freakish strength and bulldoze or punch someone in the face, we know he can do this, he used to use his own team mates as punching bags in practice! To stay on topic though, I think the reason for him "Shying away from contact" is plenty of times since his first year as a pro, he has taken a lot of hard hits when leaping over the middle of the field for catches, I'm gonna say i think its gone to his head. Remember the Steelers game? If i remember right that was the year he hurt his knee.
I just think the offense would be better if he pounded defenders (he would be a better extension of the running game). Imagine a deffense getting pounded by Gore, Bruce Miller, & VD all day? Then having to chase Hunter around and cover wr's? It would only make the offense better and the defense tired!

On a side note; when VD was getting all of those yards WE WERE LOSING! It was great for VD, but it wasn't good for the team.

We are winning without his yards, I just wish he was more aggressive. I think it would really help our offense.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I just think the offense would be better if he pounded defenders (he would be a better extension of the running game). Imagine a deffense getting pounded by Gore, Bruce Miller, & VD all day? Then having to chase Hunter around and cover wr's? It would only make the offense better and the defense tired!

On a side note; when VD was getting all of those yards WE WERE LOSING! It was great for VD, but it wasn't good for the team.

We are winning without his yards, I just wish he was more aggressive. I think it would really help our offense.
He also isnt getting yards this year because he is staying in to block a hell of a lot more than he was asked to in previous years
He can definitely play with more "anger" considering his size and speed. I also think his catching ability is average to below average...whenever he catches passes in stride he has to do this stupid little jump for some reason. He's not like Crabtree where he can just pluck things out of the air.
[ Edited by 12b6demurrer on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
you defend VD way too much

just because someone is a good player and produces doesn't mean they have no flaws

he avoids contact when running after the catch, thats just how it is and we have all seen the drops

It also doesn't mean he can't produce more. IMHO, VD is underperforming consider his physical attributes.

Bingo!!! I agree Joe!!!!

Agreed. Dude is one of my favorite players but, COME ON, break an open field ankle tackle by a DB, PLEASE.
Share 49ersWebzone