LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

What a difference a season makes: The QB Position suddenly looks bright.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Yes I do! He will never evr win a super bowl for the 49ers! Period! He does not have the 'It' factor. Sorry... Dude! but it's the truth. I hope he throws for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns with a Super Bowl ring next season. I really do. It's just I'm being realistic here

I agree that he does not have the IT factor. I agree that he is not the long term solution. I only thing I disagree about is him getting a ring. People on here are a trip. They are giving him too much credit. You could plug any decent veteran QB to do what Smith is doing. Frank Gore is a beast and the Defense is stifling. Smells like Dilfer in 2000. As long as Smith plays mistake free football if he does get a ring it would be this year only. Next year the opposing D will adjust.
Yes I do! He will never evr win a super bowl for the 49ers! Period! He does not have the 'It' factor. Sorry... Dude! but it's the truth. I hope he throws for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns with a Super Bowl ring next season. I really do. It's just I'm being realistic here

I agree that he does not have the IT factor. I agree that he is not the long term solution. I only thing I disagree about is him getting a ring. People on here are a trip. They are giving him too much credit. You could plug any decent veteran QB to do what Smith is doing. Frank Gore is a beast and the Defense is stifling. Smells like Dilfer in 2000. As long as Smith plays mistake free football if he does get a ring it would be this year only. Next year the opposing D will adjust.

The D is great and I love Gore. But in placing the credit for the O with him this season, you are incorrect. He has had five great games this year. The figures for the others are:

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

Two reasonable number there to add to the five big ones, but these numbers alone would not carry a team to 10-2. The O has done this as a team, hiccupping at times and at times painfully, but they have done it. Listening to the players they clearly have respect for Smith, and have coalesced around his leadership. With very little preparation time before the season, this is quite remarkable.

I suggest you watch the Eagles game. In a hostile environment and 23-3 down, he put the team on his back and pulled out a win. And we are supposed to believe he has no "it" faxtor, by which I assume you mean charisma and leadership. You cant be serious.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 11, 2011 at 4:17 AM ]

Absolute statements about future events tend to lack credibility.
Originally posted by English:
The D is great and I love Gore. But in placing the credit for the O with him this season, you are incorrect. He has had five great games this year. The figures for the others are:

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

Two reasonable number there to add to the five big ones, but these numbers alone would not carry a team to 10-2. The O has done this as a team, hiccupping at times and at times painfully, but they have done it. Listening to the players they clearly have respect for Smith, and have coalesced around his leadership. With very little preparation time before the season, this is quite remarkable.

I suggest you watch the Eagles game. In a hostile environment and 23-3 down, he put the team on his back and pulled out a win. And we are supposed to believe he has no "it" faxtor, by which I assume you mean charisma and leadership. You cant be serious.

This.

During the first 3 or 4 games Gore and the running game was a non-factor as well. Alex Smith carried the offense and looked good doing it. Of course the 49ers weren't high-powered like Green Bay but who would expect that this year? I think Smith and the 9ers are doing great. Let's be positive and love the fact that we are 10-2
Originally posted by taney71:

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

This.

During the first 3 or 4 games Gore and the running game was a non-factor as well. Alex Smith carried the offense and looked good doing it. Of course the 49ers weren't high-powered like Green Bay but who would expect that this year? I think Smith and the 9ers are doing great. Let's be positive and love the fact that we are 10-2

Agree with both posts and thanks for the list of sub 100 yard games English! I was thinking about putting those numbers down and then became lazy...one more research project too many! It's odd how people can watch the same games and make statements like, "Gore carries the team." Even the pundits have been saying that all year...but then, they tend to live in the past, especially for west coast teams. Also funny how Tebow, though he is doing well, gets on every show and dominates. He dominates the pundits more than he dominates on the field. Fine with Harbaugh so fine with me.

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

You go by one game against a terrible Philly defense this year who DC is is what a former O lineman coach? No wonder why they suck this year. Gore does not have to have 100+ yards to be a factor. He still got key first downs, the Defenses still are wary of him.

Nobody is taking anything away from Smith this year. I just think he is a one year wonder. So we can agree to disagree. He still a very inaccurate passer. What Harbaugh is did was design an offense where its very careful and he can rarely make mistakes. Harbaugh is genius because I didnt even think it was possible to do this with Smith. I'm glad we are winning, I just am not sold on Smith for long term because I know how the NFL works. If you have to be this careful with a QB, then you really don't have a QB.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Dec 11, 2011 at 9:20 AM ]

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

You go by one game against a terrible Philly defense this year who DC is is what a former O lineman coach? No wonder why they suck this year. Gore does not have to have 100+ yards to be a factor. He still got key first downs, the Defenses still are wary of him.

Nobody is taking anything away from Smith this year. I just think he is a one year wonder. So we can agree to disagree. He still a very inaccurate passer. What Harbaugh is did was design an offense where its very careful and he can rarely make mistakes. Harbaugh is genius because I didnt even think it was possible to do this with Smith. I'm glad we are winning, I just am not sold on Smith for long term because I know how the NFL works. If you have to be this careful with a QB, then you really don't have a QB.

um... you are, dude. Also he has not been an inaccurate passer at all, much less a very inaccurate passer. In fact he has been one of the more accurate passers this year by any metric AND by the eye test. These are the kind of ridiculous, flaw-ridden posts that make it hard to have intelligent discussions. You don't even try to back up one point in your pot. It is all just your poorly informed opinion.

59 yards
47 yards
42 yards
0 yards
88 yards
39 yards
73 yards

What? I list his total ground yardage on seven games, his sub-hundred yard games, to make the point that he has not carried the O this year. And somehow you turn this into me going by one game. I dont know how to communicate with you, then.

How about this: these figures do not carry a team. Frank Gore is a great running back with a huge heart, and he has proved those who thought he was finished this year, wrong. But these figures do not carry a team.

On the subject of Smith's accuracy, this has been debated in another thread and I dont propose to rehash the tired old arguments again.
DDPs
[ Edited by English on Dec 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM ]
What a difference a coach makes**

Ummm watching today's game confirms my comments about Smith. Its a losing battle talking about it because it appears that most on this board has a serious infatuation about him beyond football.
Ummm watching today's game confirms my comments about Smith. Its a losing battle talking about it because it appears that most on this board has a serious infatuation about him beyond football.

What do you want, a cookie? Oh I almost forgot, you want Vince Young.

Nevermind, no cookie for you.
alexis smith is a joke of a qb. PERIOD. Blame the oline, blame the dbs. Bottom line is that this is not a playoff winning qb. Hes a 50/50 proposition in getting a team to a playoff birth. thats it. Ive said it for years. People rebuttle. 1 year of an actual successful season due to a good coach and we go gaga over this guy. System qb with no ad lib. Hes the complete opposite of rodgers and farve. To be honest i may take dilfer over alexis in qb comparisons.
[ Edited by whatawegot on Dec 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM ]
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by whatawegot:
alexis smith is a joke of a qb. PERIOD. Blame the oline, blame the dbs. Bottom line is that this is not a playoff winning qb. Hes a 50/50 proposition in getting a team to a playoff birth. thats it. Ive said it for years. People rebuttle. 1 year of an actual successful season due to a good coach and we go gaga over this guy. System qb with no ad lib. Hes the complete opposite of rodgers and farve. To be honest i may take dilfer over alexis in qb comparisons.

Well said.

Dude is serviceable and will make a great backup.
Share 49ersWebzone