There are 132 users in the forums

Playoff Scenarios

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
This is the first time since 2002 ( !!) that we need a thread like this, and it's pretty damn exciting.

It's time to talk playoff scenarios.

Feel free to post your brackets, potential scenarios, or anything else you feel is relevant to playoff seeding. As we move closer to the playoffs this thread will become more irrelevant as the playoffs will become clear in the coming weeks.

Go Niners!
We're the 2nd seed. We win 2 games in the playoff. Win the SB. End thread.
I just hope we win out, because with the way the Saints are playing as of late they look like they may win out as well. The Steelers game is going to be big.
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:
I just hope we win out, because with the way the Saints are playing as of late they look like they may win out as well. The Steelers game is going to be big.

We don't have to win out, just win the west games. We have room to lose a game even if the saints win out and still be #2
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
If the Saints win out and we lose to the Steelers (but with every other game) do we still get the #2 seed? I looked here: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures and it doesn't list the procedures for breaking a tie within a conference. It just says the division champ with the second best record is the #2 seed.
Dreaming here, but not only do we have the tie breaker over the Saints, if somehow the Packers end up 14 and 2 tied with us, we would own the tie breaker over them as long as one of their losses is to the Giants or Lions (better record vs common opponents).

Hey, it could happen!!!

Check out ESPNs playoff machine. http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
[ Edited by NavyNinerFan on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Oscar:
If the Saints win out and we lose to the Steelers (but with every other game) do we still get the #2 seed? I looked here: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures and it doesn't list the procedures for breaking a tie within a conference. It just says the division champ with the second best record is the #2 seed.

If I remember right, if we have the same record as the Saints at the end of the season, it comes down to wins against conference opponents since we didn't go head to head with them.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If I remember right, if we have the same record as the Saints at the end of the season, it comes down to wins against conference opponents since we didn't go head to head with them.

Correct. They gave lost all three in conference. Have to use the wild card tie breaker section for divisional winner seeding.
[ Edited by NavyNinerFan on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM ]
I think we will slip up against either Seattle or STL, and we will get beat by 15 by pittsburgh. We may still get the 2 seed.

We will play the bears after our first round bye, beat them and lose to pack.
we must get the 2nd seed, going to NO will not be fun

Playoffs that I would like to see. Play the Cowboys and win, then on to the Packers in a blizzard and win, then off to the Super Bowl against the Ravens and win. And all teams are healthy when we play them.
How does the tiebreaker work if we tie with the packers?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
we must get the 2nd seed, going to NO will not be fun

Totally agree. Would actually be very disappointing if we fall to 3. Considering at the beginning of the season I was just hoping for the playoffs, worrying about holding the second seed is pretty cool!
as funny as it sounds I am actually more worried about Seattle than Pittsburg.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
How does the tiebreaker work if we tie with the packers?

Have to use the wild card tie breaker section for divisional winner seeding
Head to head (did not play)
Conference win percentage (we have one conference loss)
Common games, minimum four (we do meet this criteria)

Pray the Pack loses two more games, and one of the losses to either the Giants or Lions
Share 49ersWebzone