There are 297 users in the forums

Kaepernick should play a half or more once...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kaepernick should play a half or more once...

as soon as the playoffs are secured. For 2 reasons.

1. Alex Smith is the better QB right now and we need him for the playoffs. If pass protection was not so prevalent I would lean towards later than sooner, but because it is an issue, I lean towards sooner rather than later

2. Long term, I want to see what our 2nd rounder has and allow him some development time. I don't believe in Alex long term, so I am more inclined to see Kaep and see what we have there

2 very different reasons, but they both factor in
Originally posted by danimal:
as soon as the #2 seed is secured. For 2 reasons.

1. Alex Smith is the better QB right now and we need him for the playoffs. If pass protection was not so prevalent I would lean towards later than sooner, but because it is an issue, I lean towards sooner rather than later

2. Long term, I want to see what our 2nd rounder has and allow him some development time. I don't believe in Alex long term, so I am more inclined to see Kaep and see what we have there

fixed
[ Edited by valrod33 on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
There is more to a successful post season than clinching your division. Still a lot of football to play.

Relax on Kap, he is doing fine learning where he is at.

True, but giving someone actual field experience does wonders for ones progress. There is nothing like a real battle, dodging bullets and needing to improvise. Practice can never immulate that because you know in the back of your mind that the whole scenario is controled.

The niners should let him play when
1) situational circumstances
2) they have put the game away
and/or 3) All playoff scenarios have been decided.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
I say start him first thing 2012.....I mean Jan. 1, 2012.....against the Rams.....

oh you funny guy, the alex crowd will kill you last.

Atleast Im at the bottom of a hell of a long list.....
Either a huge lead or if they clinch #2 seed. They're not catching Green Bay.

Everyone needs to root for the Saints to collapse. Damn Suh didn't help being an idiot.
Originally posted by danimal:
as soon as the playoffs are secured. For 2 reasons.

like Val said, we need the bye and its more important at this point
If we are ahead by more than 20 in the last 5 min of 4th qtr I have no problems. I personally think Alex needs every snap as he continue to learn the playbook. Aaron Rodgers already knows his front and back, the same can not be said for Alex.

We still suck in Redzone Offense and we can't throw over 15 yards and we give 9 sacks. We have not arrived yet folks

If we do get so lucky we can rest people, I would rather we sit Willis, Davis, Walker, Gore, J.Smith, and Goldson before Alex.
[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM ]
The poll has nothing to do with Smith hating, I've been a supporter from the start. There are a variety of reasons why people might want Kaepernick to see some action, including keeping Smith healthy.

Personally, I'm really curious to see if Kaep has made progress, but don't want him playing meaningful snaps this year. Once we've secured the #2 seed I'd still like to see Smith play a quarter or two to continue progressing our offense and avoid rust, but would like to see Kaep play; partially to satisfy my curiousity, but mostly to keep Alex healthy and help Kaep progress in case Smith does get injured and we need him to play. If we lose Alex, our hopes for playoff success take a big hit, but if Kaep has/does develop sufficiently, we may still have a shot with him as our QB.

Obviously if we're blowing out a team 40-0 Kaep should go in along with the rest of the active backups to protect our starters, but if we can secure #2 early enough, I'd like to see a planned period of play for Kaep where he can get some of the practice snaps and prep work. Just look how some teams' seasons have been ruined by their QB getting injured. I'd like to feel at least fairly confident in our backup if Alex gets hurt, but he needs some work to be ready to fill in.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:15 AM ]
Waiting for playoff spot to be secure then let him have some playing time. As long as we are winning and there is no chance for the other team to win then ya, throw him in. Playoffs or not still hate to see us lose a game.
I was actually surprised Kaep came in when he did.

Originally posted by Joecool:

It was perfect niners up by at least 4 scores in the forth quarter and the Rams hadn't shown anything the whole game.
He look kinda OK dropping from center ....Development
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Joecool:

It was perfect niners up by at least 4 scores in the forth quarter and the Rams hadn't shown anything the whole game.

I was still soaking in domination thinking we let the starters handle the clincher. With three games vs the WEST it will be fun to see him more and see how he plays.
Other: Once the team is locked into their playoff seeding and the starting offense looks more consistent. Probably the 2nd half of the Week 17 Rams game.
  • Sman
not a fan of the guys...I want Tolzien!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone