There are 181 users in the forums

Are we "a very soft 9 - 2?" The WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYBODY argument.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.
~ Bengals - good record but a ROOKIE QB. Albeit a good one.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

If I had to do a power ranking right now I would put it like this.

1) Packers - Would abuse us badly.
2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.
3) Patriots - Far superior IMO.
4) Ravens - Any worse abuse than this and you file assault charges...
5) Steelers - Vastly underrated by the WZ and media. This team is for real.

6) 49ers. Just my opinion.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...

Is there any more proof needed, or is this enough to say that Niner fans really are the Biggest whiners in the NFL? Come on man, 9-2 and still putting the team down?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
All that matters is what happens in January.

Um, February.
Originally posted by Amir:
Yup. Saints are better than us. They destroyed the Giants while we barely got past them.

We destroyed TB while NO lost to them, so we are better. This logic is so ridiculous.
Originally posted by English:

Um, February.

Nothing happens for us in Feb if we don't win in Jan.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by English:

Um, February.

Nothing happens for us in Feb if we don't win in Jan.

"All that matters"
I'm happy as hell no matter what happens the rest of the year. We have long term hope and are the kings of the West again... But, I think we are probably the fourth best team in the NFC right now. GB, NO and b*tch a55 Dallas are better than us. Dallas is really good right now. Although, in the playoffs we can still make a run depending on the weather situation, etc. I just think those teams can shred our secondary and it'll be difficult to keep up in a high scoring type of game.
We may not look the best on paper and people find it easy to say not the Niners because of this, that and the other but in reality we have lost 2 games and it looks like those teams will both win their division and be in the playoffs. Against Dallas we had only had about 10 practices together. we had a 10 point lead in the 4th and the defense just blew its coverage. Against the ravens it looks like we got destroyed but it was still 6-6 in the 4th. 3 days rest in a tough place to play. We just beat ourselves in both games. Our offense has problems, but we do a good job at exploiting other teams weaknesses. I wish for this year, we as fans would ride this wave as long as it goes and just have a little faith that we could run the table. Let the analysts be the doubters. Don't be like them and say see I told you so when the first sign of doubt appears.

How about this: do you think we are in a better spot than the Ravens? They win tough games, (the steelers twice) but then they turn around and take a week off and lose to Seattle or Jacksonville. We have been in every game and only lost to 2 potential playoff teams...
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'm happy as hell no matter what happens the rest of the year. We have long term hope and are the kings of the West again... But, I think we are probably the fourth best team in the NFC right now. GB, NO and b*tch a55 Dallas are better than us. Dallas is really good right now. Although, in the playoffs we can still make a run depending on the weather situation, etc. I just think those teams can shred our secondary and it'll be difficult to keep up in a high scoring type of game.

NO and Dallas have both proven they can lose to a garbage team
Originally posted by sacniner:

I disagree. While GB is consistant they haven't played a D like ours, nor has NO (the Bears & GB's D isn't better than ours). These teams are NOT going to be able to run up the score like they've been doing. Plus, take a look at GB,s upcoming schedule. They are not going to go undefeated, trust me. I still say we are, at worst, the #2 best in the NFC. The NO D is a D we could score on. And hell no!, the Cowgirls are not better than us I don't know how any 49er fan could say that, especially this year. Yeah, they beat us early in the year. But RIGHT NOW or in the playoffs they wouldn't beat us, especially after having seen their best. We are a vastly different team now than what we were when we play them. As for our secondary I don't think people are seeing this D for what it is. I coach football myself. Our secondary plays very well within the objective of the "bend-but-don't-break" philosophy - minimize the big play that take chunks of yards while stopping the run, thus making teams one dimensional (hello NO, GB). We WANT teams to check down and throw underneath. Plus, we have ong of the better tackling secondaries in the league. There is a reason our readzone D is so good. So yes, our secondary is going to give up a lot of yards. It's by design people. BUT TEAMS DON'T SCORE A LOT OF POINTS ON US.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM ]
THINK OF IT THIS WAY: Saying that we have played "nobody" means we are SOMEBODY

Originally posted by spizzy:

Originally posted by spizzy:

We have a lot of positives too. The east coast wins. The no offseason. Remarkable we are this good. Next year would really be our year you would think.

I agree.. I just don't think we will win the big one with Alex Smith.... Anybody else think Scott Tolzien may get a shot at starting next year?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
We have a lot of positives too. The east coast wins. The no offseason. Remarkable we are this good. Next year would really be our year you would think.

I agree.. I just don't think we will win the big one with Alex Smith.... Anybody else think Scott Tolzien may get a shot at starting next year?

only if he's finished curing cancer, solving the debt crisis, winning the drug war, fixing the Mars global surveyor, writing the new season of Arrested Development and inventing the next great Apple gadget.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Eduardo75:

only if he's finished curing cancer, solving the debt crisis, winning the drug war, fixing the Mars global surveyor, writing the new season of Arrested Development and inventing the next great Apple gadget.

He may miss training camp, then?
Share 49ersWebzone