There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Couple of thoughts...

Originally posted by 49ersfansince90:
Yes you are overreacting. This game is not a microcosim of the season. All year long we have been rushing 4 and have been solid rushing the passer. We gave up 16 points. JH threw a few screens and they were to WR. The QB needs time to see people get down field and we all know time is something he didn't have time last night. Gore has had success all year at getting to the edge on sweeps and off tackles and turning them up field for good games. What I learned is Whitner lacked technique and got abused on the td drive. And the recent success has masked the lack of depth along the o line.

So you feel that the only weakness we have going forward is lack of depth at O-line... I'll buy that. I just think the difference between Green Bay, or Pittsburgh and us if depth all around. I think JH has done an amazing job coaching around our weaknesses, and give more depth he could do even more.
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 49,045
We have a fullback in Bruce Miller doot
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
true.Last time we lost, we won 8 in a row. If this trend continues, we will be superbowl champions.

LOL This is what i kept saying last night.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
We need to upgrade the WR position in the draft. Early.

It has been evident all season we don't have a monster on the outside, he's no monster but I feel we are missing Josh Morgan. We should be looking early for a wide out, I'm sure next season we will have made more than one move at this spot.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
This game showed us a few things,
1, We lack depth on offense, players like Rachel, and Norris are awful.
2, We have no legitimate big game wide receivers.
3, Frank Gore can be stopped, by selling out the middle of the field and forcing him to run east west.
4, JH does not believe in the screen pass.
5, When we can't get pressure with our front 4 we don't have a safety or linebacker who can blitz effectily.
6, Lack of rotation at D-line wears players out.
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover

Things we need in the off season
Full Back, Guard, Free Safety, OLB, Running back, and even though he played well, we should never stop looking to improve at QB!

Did I miss anything? or am I over reacting?

I think we are a solid young team, with a few weak spots, we are heading in the right derection, and will only get better from here on out, so watch the f**k out NFL the Niners are on the way back!!!

On point.

1. But Rachael is a vet and should have been able to step in and play decent. He had the s**ttiest game by an O-line men i've ever seen. It also threw off the chemistry of the whole line, especially that right side. It was a mess. Maybe we can put Iupati on the other side and Rachael with Staley. I don't know if there is another choice besides letting the rookie Kilgore get his feet wet. Might as well right? We have the division and a playoff slot on lock, might as well get some guys playing time,

2. We got some pressure yesterday ever with rushing only four or five. They only put up 16 which is a success for us. This is the NFL and good teams like the Ravens are going to get yardage. We shut em down where it counted, the red zone. Their sole TD Whitner was in position to make a pick but played way too deep. Plus, the D was on the field forever and got a terrible PI call on the Brown INT.

3. Norris played decent

4. OLB's are still good bro. They played well. We didn't allow many yards or points.

Our offense blew this game big time. OLine was s**tty, WRs dropped passes, and Smith missed some throws.
I really don't think this game showed any glaring weaknesses with the exception of chilo and norris, but that was already known. They came out flat and exhausted and got victimized by a very good team that showed up ready to play. Suggs even said this game was bigger for them than the steelers and jets. The defense played very solid for the most part IMO. 16 points is barely over what they're averaging against them. Flacco threw some perfect darts that beat good coverage to convert third downs. Sacks kill drives and they had 5 sacks on third down. This game gave them a chance to identify their mistakes against zone blitzes. This will be a valuable loss looking ahead at a game with the steelers and potentially the packers. Both use zone blitz packages.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
On point.

1. But Rachael is a vet and should have been able to step in and play decent. He had the s**ttiest game by an O-line men i've ever seen. It also threw off the chemistry of the whole line, especially that right side. It was a mess. Maybe we can put Iupati on the other side and Rachael with Staley. I don't know if there is another choice besides letting the rookie Kilgore get his feet wet. Might as well right? We have the division and a playoff slot on lock, might as well get some guys playing time,

2. We got some pressure yesterday ever with rushing only four or five. They only put up 16 which is a success for us. This is the NFL and good teams like the Ravens are going to get yardage. We shut em down where it counted, the red zone. Their sole TD Whitner was in position to make a pick but played way too deep. Plus, the D was on the field forever and got a terrible PI call on the Brown INT.

3. Norris played decent

4. OLB's are still good bro. They played well. We didn't allow many yards or points.

Our offense blew this game big time. OLine was s**tty, WRs dropped passes, and Smith missed some throws.

3. Norris missed a few blocks and looked much slower than miller, it seemed to slow Frank down, and the lack of a pass catcher at FB took plays of the table and left Alex with one less check down against an terrific pass rush.

4. The Raven were by formation able to draw Brooks into pass coverage on Boldin, it was not until we rolled a safety over and doubled him that we were able to handle him. Not sure if it was personnel, or great coaching by the Ravins, but they seemed to get that coverage when they wanted it. I know there is no OLB in the world who can run with a WR, but you need to be able to take the first 5-7 yards away from a WR before passing him off.

By the way, our defense was not the problem in my mind last night, I would hang this loss on Norris and Rachel, and a little on JH's conservative offensive scheme. Yeah, you're right on 1,2 we just need more consistent pressure, fresh legs, and depth at D-line will help.
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover


They must know how to cover it's almost an prerequisite to playing OLB. Just depend on who they cover. Boldin vs. Brooks = mismatch. Against TE and RB yes. It's the reason Aldon Smith isn't on the field more. He needs to recognized quickly on each play if it's going to be coverage but he's not there yet.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
This is the one that puzzles me because I think backs like Gore and Hunter would be great in the screen game.

So much pressure up the middle, a middle screen to a RB would have killed!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover


They must know how to cover it's almost an prerequisite to playing OLB. Just depend on who they cover. Boldin vs. Brooks = mismatch. Against TE and RB yes.

I know, right..but none the less the Ravins were by formation able to get this mis-match early on, we had to roll a safety over and double to take it away, when that happens you get weaker elsewhere, it was good coaching by the evil Harbaugh, and worries me other teams will see this and use it as well. What exactly it opens up for say a team like Green Bay scares me, the Ravins were not able to fully exploit this but I'm sure the Pack will.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by susweel:
This is the one that puzzles me because I think backs like Gore and Hunter would be great in the screen game.

So much pressure up the middle, a middle screen to a RB would have killed!

Not just this game but pretty much all year.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by susweel:
This is the one that puzzles me because I think backs like Gore and Hunter would be great in the screen game.

So much pressure up the middle, a middle screen to a RB would have killed!

Agree. I was screaming for just one in the 2nd half. I hope the coaches learn from this and put this in over the next couple weeks
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
7, Our OLB's can't and must not ever pass cover


They must know how to cover it's almost an prerequisite to playing OLB. Just depend on who they cover. Boldin vs. Brooks = mismatch. Against TE and RB yes.

I know, right..but none the less the Ravins were by formation able to get this mis-match early on, we had to roll a safety over and double to take it away, when that happens you get weaker elsewhere, it was good coaching by the evil Harbaugh, and worries me other teams will see this and use it as well. What exactly it opens up for say a team like Green Bay scares me, the Ravins were not able to fully exploit this but I'm sure the Pack will.

I see the mismatch was there on a few plays early but I thought they did a good job limiting Boldin towards the end. There's a lot of good weapons on the Ravens' offense. If you go back to the Pittsburg game, you can see that. I think that's what Fangio was seeing against Pittsburg. Kind of like basketball, can't really stop all of them on offense, just the ones that are 'hot'.

On the other hand our offense-- there were no one that got the 'hot' hand. They were stone freak'n cold...
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Tough Loss

But we played on 3 days rest

had to travel cross country with a tired and beaten up team, but we didnt get blown away, despite the OL having the worst game of the season

But we will learn from this, I bet our coaching staff is working on ways to improve the team as we speak.
and another positive ..a LOT of bandwagon jumpers JUMPED OFF the bandwagon last night ...SEE YA !!!!!

lol yup.

f**k em. ive been rooting for this team since i was 7. even through these dark ages
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Tough Loss

But we played on 3 days rest

had to travel cross country with a tired and beaten up team, but we didnt get blown away, despite the OL having the worst game of the season

But we will learn from this, I bet our coaching staff is working on ways to improve the team as we speak.
and another positive ..a LOT of bandwagon jumpers JUMPED OFF the bandwagon last night ...SEE YA !!!!!

lol yup.

f**k em. ive been rooting for this team since i was 7. even through these dark ages

I'm disappointed we lost. But, bottom line? It's only the second loss of the year. We're 9-2. We're not done yet.

I didn't expect this team to finish out the string undefeated. I had HOPED for it, but hope and expectations are two different things.

Lots of teams would like to be 9-2 at this juncture. This one stings. It ends a gorgeous winning streak. But, at some point, streaks end.

This one did. Time to start another (winning) streak.